Training vs Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bignozzlepumper View Post
    i am not that fortunate. We are a small department, and i have paid for all of my ifsac schooling, hotels, meals, trans, everything. I do not complain about it, i'm just thankful for the opportunity to go get my certs done to better serve the community. Someday, maybe, we will be a little better funded to help future firefighters who may not have the money to accomplish this.
    damn fine dedication bro!

Comment

Our department is quite lucky as we have a fairly strong training budget.

We are also lucky in that LSU Fire training opened a campus for north LA about 5 miles from us 5 years ago. While it doesn't have the industrial or ARFF props of the main campus in Baton Rouge (about 4 hours south) it does have a nice burn building and some descent extinguisher and oilfield props. Some of the training is free but some of the training is quite pricey - $450 for a 40-hour extrication or rope rescue class as examples.

We also do quite a bit of training in east Texas at their regional schools. Excellent training at really reasonable prices - $50 for a 2-day rope rescue, confined space, RIT or fire attack class as examples.

We do send people to both the LSU Baton Rouge campus and TEEX at College Station as well. We have been lucky that in the past three years, the local refinery has picked up the tab to send 4 people per year including the class, the hotel and meals. We are attempting to get the National Guard facility we cover to send some of our people to Baton Rouge for the ARFF training as well as they are landing 5-8 choppers a week there now.

The department covers all class costs for any training which fits what we do. The department will also provide a vehicle and pay hotel costs (and parking costs in New Orleans). The department does not pay meal cost, except as noted above.

We are also quite lucky in that we have several Instructor Is & IIs who can deliver everything from FFI to technical rescue classes, so much of the training we often do in-house.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

As a few have mentioned MFRI usually has classes available at no costs to the volunteers. Though the problem seems to be getting people to attend the classes.

If you want to take EMT advanced you're kind of on your own though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeland View Post
          Though the problem seems to be getting people to attend the classes.
          Seems to be a universal theme.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X