Training vs Cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training vs Cost

just wondering who pays for your training and to what extent?

All training (within reason) is paid for up front, and usually with no questions asked if you have a good attendance record with the Department. If a personal vehicle is used for transport to/from the training, you are also reimbursed mileage at the current federal reimbursement rate. Meals are also paid for if not provided with the training. Out of pocket expenses associated with the training is also reimbursed.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

County/State training is generally free and local. Mileage may be paid for classes taken at the state fire academy (about a three hour drive), but not usually for classes taken within the county.

EMS classes are also free (and local), unless you are going for paramedic at the community college - then it's tuition as usual. I haven't heard of any agency covering that cost, but there are scholarships available.

Agencies will often pay for conferences for their members.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by monkybrainz View Post
        just wondering who pays for your training and to what extent?
        You're going to get a very broad cross-section of answers on this question.

It is dependant on the department; their resources and capability to provide opportunity.

A department that has limited funding is not going to put much into individual training, but more in team training.

A department that operates with very large revenue sources may provide in-house basic training and offer individual development opportunities.

Each is different and there is no cookie cutter approach.

Having said that, and pertinent to the question:

Our department has four staff instructors that provide 75% of what you will ever need.

For the other 25%, if you excell and have earned the right... we will send you to the rest: pay for your room, meals, transporation, entertainment and yes, the course fees and books.

No... not volunteers... but does that matter?
        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
          All training (within reason) is paid for up front, and usually with no questions asked if you have a good attendance record with the Department. If a personal vehicle is used for transport to/from the training, you are also reimbursed mileage at the current federal reimbursement rate. Meals are also paid for if not provided with the training. Out of pocket expenses associated with the training is also reimbursed.
          Pretty close to that, we don't reimburse for mileage/meals.
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
            EMS classes are also free (and local), unless you are going for paramedic at the community college - then it's tuition as usual.
            Good point I forgot to mention.....We do provide ALS service, however most of our Medics are career. We don't have very many Volunteer Medics, however we do reimburse for training updates, con ed classes, etc. I think we will assist with Paramedic Classes and/or total reimbursement, based on the Member's individual attendance/participation record, and I believe they have to agree to provide at least 5 years of volunteer service upon completion of class, to receive total reimbursement.
            "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Our relief pays for the classes. It is up to the people taking them to get there, eat, and everything else. It's either that, or add more fundraising to cover that.

Comment

sounds pretty close all round, so far all my training/books is coverd. not mileage but the schools isnt that far.

Comment

We are very fortunate. All classes are paid for and provided by MFRI. If enough people are going, the company will provide a vehicle. If not, you have to take your own without compensation. We are fortunate that most classes are close by and the training facility with burn building is only about an hour away.

Comment

When I went through, the my FD that I was on at the time paid for the academy, mileage if you didn't take the dept SUV, $7.00 hour while there that was held back until you passed the academy... which if I remember right was 780 hours.. so that check was a real incentive to pass. The FD I am on now, pays for the academy.. nothing else.

Comment

I am not that fortunate. We are a small department, and I have paid for ALL of my IFSAC schooling, hotels, meals, trans, everything. I do not complain about it, I'm just thankful for the opportunity to go get my certs done to better serve the community. Someday, maybe, we will be a little better funded to help future firefighters who may not have the money to accomplish this.

Comment

Hmmm......

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
                        We are very fortunate. All classes are paid for and provided by MFRI. If enough people are going, the company will provide a vehicle. If not, you have to take your own without compensation. We are fortunate that most classes are close by and the training facility with burn building is only about an hour away.

LaPlata have a Burn Building??........
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                          Yep, It was under construction when I took FF1 about 8 or 9 years ago. Not as big as the one in College Park, but it gets the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                            Nice burn building - great facility overall. I was there watching my son during his FF2 classes a couple of years ago. I've got pictures someplace...
                            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

The township funds are used for all firematic costs.

Approved training is paid by the Chief utilizing Township funds. We have a van that is used for personnel to attend training.
                              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X