• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hwoods
    replied
    Well.......

Originally posted by Blulakr View Post
    Thanks for the explaination.

If I may, while your in their district and responding, do you respond as a firefighter or an officer??

Not trying to stir up anything, I just see potential for resentment, mistrust, unfamiliarity etc. Kudos to you if you can avoid those pitfalls. Perhaps your level of experience commands their respect regardless.

Although I'm not currently an Officer there, I have been given an Officer's Job to cover on a "Working Fire" or other incident from time to time. I think you're right on target about Longevity and Experience.......
    Last edited by hwoods; 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Yep.......

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Wouldn't happen to be near the NFA, Chief?

Sure is - You can see the NFA from the VFD's Front Door. As the Eagle Flies, it's about 6 or 7 miles........

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    A Bit of an explanation: This VFD was started 50 Years ago. It's a small 2 Stop Sign village in a Rural County Northwest of DC. Or Was, The Suburbs of DC/Baltimore are enroaching rapidly...... When they Started up, they had Nothing. Literally. Being in the "Big City" area, I was able to help them "Find Stuff" to equip their Apparatus and so forth. I know this place well, since my Maternal Grandfather's Family has been there since the 1700s. I spent Summers there as a little Kid. Fast Forward: My Wife and I bought a Piece of Mountainside a few miles west of there (near Camp David) in the late 1970s and used it for a Weekend getaway type of thing. We still do. When we're there, we help out. That's about all there is to it...... As far as what it costs them to keep me "On the Books", it's negligible. Maryland is a place where Training is Free, Insurance like Workman's Comp, etc. is paid by each County, and so on....... So, in Short, When I'm there, I'm an asset. When something like a Live Training Burn or other "Major Event" is scheduled, I go if at all possible........
    Thanks for the explaination.

If I may, while your in their district and responding, do you respond as a firefighter or an officer??

Not trying to stir up anything, I just see potential for resentment, mistrust, unfamiliarity etc. Kudos to you if you can avoid those pitfalls. Perhaps your level of experience commands their respect regardless.
    Last edited by Blulakr; 10-23-2010, 02:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    Wouldn't happen to be near the NFA, Chief?

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Well...........

What is your involvement with a FD 80 miles away? Are you able to regularly attend drills and business meetings there? Are you on a familiar basis with all of the members so that you know their capeabilities and they know yours?

I would also question why a dept would commit gear and insurance costs for a firefighter who cannot respond most of the time.

Not knocking your system, I just don't get it.

A Bit of an explanation: This VFD was started 50 Years ago. It's a small 2 Stop Sign village in a Rural County Northwest of DC. Or Was, The Suburbs of DC/Baltimore are enroaching rapidly...... When they Started up, they had Nothing. Literally. Being in the "Big City" area, I was able to help them "Find Stuff" to equip their Apparatus and so forth. I know this place well, since my Maternal Grandfather's Family has been there since the 1700s. I spent Summers there as a little Kid. Fast Forward: My Wife and I bought a Piece of Mountainside a few miles west of there (near Camp David) in the late 1970s and used it for a Weekend getaway type of thing. We still do. When we're there, we help out. That's about all there is to it...... As far as what it costs them to keep me "On the Books", it's negligible. Maryland is a place where Training is Free, Insurance like Workman's Comp, etc. is paid by each County, and so on....... So, in Short, When I'm there, I'm an asset. When something like a Live Training Burn or other "Major Event" is scheduled, I go if at all possible........

Leave a comment:

• Slim311
    replied
    I was in same boat many moons ago (15 yrs).. Local FD never trained and poor equipment. I then started with the promission of the Chief from the 1st department to attend training with the 2nd dept since metting night was on different night. So faithfully i went to the 2nd dept. meeting every week like after a month they asked me to fill out an app and ect. Today Im still with those same department the 1st I joined as a volunteer I'm now an Asst Chief and the 2nd one later got hired on full time when they went paid in 2001 and now a Lt. BTW.. from KY

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    If you're going to be a "respond from home" (or work) type, then living or working in the district makes sense. It would certainly apply in my area.

On the other hand, I know from personal experience that in Harv's area, there is very little "respond from home." Folks do shifts at the firehouse. You can't get a truck out the door in the requisite minute or two if you have to get out of your easy chair, find your shoes, then drive to the firehouse...

We have EMS folks in my area who have several uniforms, for both career and volunteer agencies, in their closet. Inasmuch as EMS doesn't have the same restrictions on membership as fire in NY, the "trauma junkies" can run as much as their bodies will let them...
    That clarifies things. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    I still don't figure that one......... If you remotely offered that idea here, you'd stir up a Fire Storm (Pun intended)......... I live in the First Due of one Company that I belong to, But Glenn Dale is 12 miles up the road, and my other VFD is 80 miles away....... I have Members at Glenn Dale who have Home Addresses in 5 other States...... As they say, "Works for Us".......
    It's in our SOG's that to be eligible to volunteer you must live in the district. We have made exceptions for volunteers that moved out of the district but still work there. It's always been that way, don't know why but I'm sure there's a reason. Poor attendance may be a factor. This is what works for us.

What is your involvement with a FD 80 miles away? Are you able to regularly attend drills and business meetings there? Are you on a familiar basis with all of the members so that you know their capeabilities and they know yours?

I would also question why a dept would commit gear and insurance costs for a firefighter who cannot respond most of the time.

Not knocking your system, I just don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    replied
    tree - I used to resemble that remark!!!....lol....

As for Vol FD membership - one has to remember that you can 'volunteer' to help out with any number of departments - however you can only BELONG as a member to ONE department - with the others you are operating under a Mutual Aid agreement.....

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    The person either lives or works in each district.
    If you're going to be a "respond from home" (or work) type, then living or working in the district makes sense. It would certainly apply in my area.

On the other hand, I know from personal experience that in Harv's area, there is very little "respond from home." Folks do shifts at the firehouse. You can't get a truck out the door in the requisite minute or two if you have to get out of your easy chair, find your shoes, then drive to the firehouse...

We have EMS folks in my area who have several uniforms, for both career and volunteer agencies, in their closet. Inasmuch as EMS doesn't have the same restrictions on membership as fire in NY, the "trauma junkies" can run as much as their bodies will let them...

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Huh?.........

Personally I don't have a problem with 'double dipping' as long as...

I still don't figure that one......... If you remotely offered that idea here, you'd stir up a Fire Storm (Pun intended)......... I live in the First Due of one Company that I belong to, But Glenn Dale is 12 miles up the road, and my other VFD is 80 miles away....... I have Members at Glenn Dale who have Home Addresses in 5 other States...... As they say, "Works for Us".......

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    replied
    Personally I don't have a problem with 'double dipping' as long as...

The person can operate under two separate SOG's and not try to change one dept to match the other.

The person is able to attend the minimum amount of training for BOTH dept's.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied
    My two departments are quite different, which is part of the attraction.

In my combo/fulltime department our oldest engine is a 2001. We only have 2 trucks older than a 2000 with one being a 91 tanker we just refurbed and the other being a service truck in our slowest station. We just purchased new rescue tools and are upgrading our SCBA to Scotts with a Fire Act grant. We run ALS EMS first response, and volunteer staffing is quite good. Nice training facility and lots of money to send us to training beyond the department level.

My volunteer department runs on 1/11th of the budget and works out of 5 stations rather than 6. Does not run EMS. Runs just over 100 runs a year.
    Does not do extrication but recently acquired a used tool. Staffing is marginal. 3 of the stations have new engines but they are still running a '76 E-One and a '66 Mack out of 2 of the stations. They just purchased a used '89 E-One Hush from Huntington Beach, CA which will be in service in the next two months.

I have been asigned to coordinate the extrication and technical rescue program, and am responsible for haz-mat operations.

It's a different world, as yes, it challenges me in many ways that my career department does not.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    And.......

Why stop at only 2??..... OK, I'm kidding a bit. I actually belong to 3 VFDs and So Does my Wife...... Here's the Deal: I Started at Glenn Dale in 1958. It's a Family thing, My Grandfather and 2 of my Father's older Brothers were Charter Members back in 1928, and My Father joined in 1930 when he turned 18. My Brother and I, along with several cousins became the Third Generation in the 50s and 60s........ You get the idea. (My Grandsons, Danny and David, now represent the 5th Generation here). In 1963, Some of the Family Members on my Mother's side were involved in starting a new VFD about 70 miles Northwest of Glenn Dale. I joined to help out with some stuff, and am still there. Last, when I went to work for PG County, I continued to Volunteer. When I got a Transfer to Glenn Dale, I could no longer Volunteer there, so I Joined the VFD where I Live, in Anne Arundel County, 12 miles East of Glenn Dale. Laura and I are now Life Members of all 3. I've never had a problem with any part of this situation.......

They are not really that Similar either..... Take a Look:
    www.GDVFD18.com
    www.Arundelfire.com
    www.gvfc18.webs.com
    Last edited by hwoods; 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pasobuff
    replied
    The Laws in NYS do allow a member of one department to run calls with another - but they have to get permission of the Chief of hte responding department.....if someone needs it, I can pull out the chapter etc from my Law book.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X