Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utility Truck Lettering

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Utility Truck Lettering

    Our department recently purchased a used utility unit to pull our command trailer and our backcountry equipment to different incidents. Because of financial shortfalls we were unable to spec out a new unit. This used unit has everything we need but it is silver in color. It is a Dodge 3500 dually with a camper shell on top.

    We are now looking at lettering and ligthing. We are unsure what colors to use because it is silver and what light configurations to use because we have only dealt with white utility/commond units in thepast. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Also suggestions for what to put on will also be appreciated. We are going to have chevron striping on the back and dept name on the doors at the minimum. Thanks!
    FF II, EMT, Fire Instructor I, Fire Officer I

  • #2
    Put "Silver Command #1" on the doors and let the old guys drive it.

    How about putting a white stripe down the side with the Unit ID on the front Fenders and the Department name on the Doors.

    The color doesn't matter... Just ask Harve. He drives trucks that are yellow... real handy for the bus routes and utility issues.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

    Comment


    • #3
      Some red scotchlite striping would probably look pretty good with the silver....
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

      Comment


      • #4
        Find a local paint shop that will paint it for price of material!!!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

        Comment


        • #5
          Red and black might look nice (you can get black Scotchlite) - Take a look at some on-line pictures and some fire service publications for potential designs (unless you already have one).

          Lights are lights and the color of the vehicle doesn't really make a lot of difference. In reality, how different is silver from white? (Rhetorical question - no need to answer).

          The bigger consideration on lighting is how the vehicle will be used. If it's going to be running "hot", a more extensive package would be suitable. If it's going to be hauling in the "second team," a basic lighting package would be more than adequate. It could even be argued that maybe it doesn't need any lights at all.
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

          Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah.........

            Tree is correct about the Black Scotchlite, we've used it for many years...... On a Silver Vehicle, I'd look at a Medium to Darker Blue for Striping and Lettering....... Find someone with some "Photoshop" Computer Skills and work out a design that way.....
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

            IACOJ Budget Analyst

            I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

            www.gdvfd18.com

            Comment


            • #7
              If your department is that strapped for funds....is lettering and lightbars REALLY a necessary expense?
              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

              Comment


              • #8
                Get a FP&S grant for a sign machine to make address signs for your residents, and use that to make some nifty graphics for your truck.

                Black Scotchlite is awesome.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                  If your department is that strapped for funds....is lettering and lightbars REALLY a necessary expense?

                  Just because it is a used on and not a new one, does not mean they should not properly identify the rig, and put a lightbar on it....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fire49 View Post
                    Find a local paint shop that will paint it for price of material!!!
                    a wouldnt that local shop be able to write it off as a donation to a volunteer org.?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FFEMT2159 View Post
                      Our department recently purchased a used utility unit to pull our command trailer and our backcountry equipment to different incidents. Because of financial shortfalls we were unable to spec out a new unit. This used unit has everything we need but it is silver in color. It is a Dodge 3500 dually with a camper shell on top.

                      We are now looking at lettering and ligthing. We are unsure what colors to use because it is silver and what light configurations to use because we have only dealt with white utility/commond units in thepast. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Also suggestions for what to put on will also be appreciated. We are going to have chevron striping on the back and dept name on the doors at the minimum. Thanks!
                      I've seen many different colors of apparatus. I wouldn't get hung up on it, great that you found a unit that works for your needs!

                      The black scotchlite sounds nice. Simple lettering would work.

                      Does the unit respond "hot"? If not, then you could go cheap on the lights and put more into the lettering.
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                      "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                      "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Go to the youngstown fire forums and look at the apparatus colors posts. Ever color of the rainbow there.
                        ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                          If your department is that strapped for funds....is lettering and lightbars REALLY a necessary expense?
                          Good point. It's not as if it's going to be pulling a trailer in "emergency mode" anyway...
                          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                          sigpic
                          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A graphics shop can make scotchlite whatever color you want. They just print a color over the white. (Unless you go crazy with Diamond Grade)

                            As far as warning lights, a decent lightbar with most of the heads facing forward, a 4 head strobe pack for the headlights/taillights, and an arrowstick with colored ends for warning should be more than enough if you're on a budget. You don't need to get a fully decked out all LED Liberty, all the major manufacturers still offer halogen and strobe units too.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yep!.......

                              Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                              Go to the youngstown fire forums and look at the apparatus colors posts. Ever color of the rainbow there.

                              Including mine................
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                              IACOJ Budget Analyst

                              I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                              www.gdvfd18.com

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X