This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siren.. mess up -.-

Yesterday I received my Carson SC -1022 volunteer siren and so today I thought I should install it.. I tested it all before I put it in and it worked flawlessly.. I mounted it and got all the wires ready when I got a call.. When I came back I decided to finish, so(without checking the wires again) I plugged them in... 2 Seconds later it started smoking.. Seems like my stupidity caused me to place the power wires into the speaker output plug and the speaker wires into the power plug.. Sent a reverse 12v into the amp and fried it... A $270 mistake.. New one will be here tuesday Anyone else do this? Cause I can't shake the feeling that I was so close to finishing and now I'm days behind..

Can't say as I have. I don't run a siren. But my thought is save your money and forget about the siren. It really won't buy you much time.

Comment

Originally posted by wischief View Post
      Can't say as I have. I don't run a siren. But my thought is save your money and forget about the siren. It really won't buy you much time.
      Sorry but that is not very good advice for anyone in Wisconsin and is in fact in violation of the law. Please read the colored portion of State Statute 346.03.

346.03(3)
      (3) The exemption granted the operator of an authorized emergency vehicle by sub. (2) (a) applies only when the operator of the vehicle is giving visual signal by means of at least one flashing, oscillating or rotating red light except that the visual signal given by a police vehicle may be by means of a blue light and a red light which are flashing, oscillating or rotating, except as otherwise provided in sub. (4m). The exemptions granted by sub. (2) (b), (c) and (d) apply only when the operator of the emergency vehicle is giving both such visual signal and also an audible signal by means of a siren or exhaust whistle, except as otherwise provided in sub. (4) or (4m).
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I am well aware of the law and was implying to respond without lights and sirens when responding in a pov. I only mentioned the siren because that is all the poster talked about.

Comment

I could have done a lot better things with that money. If you want to throw away that much again, I'll give you my address, just send me a check, ok?
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            I could have done a lot better things with that money. If you want to throw away that much again, I'll give you my address, just send me a check, ok?
            I'm not throwing it away... In my Dept. We are actually required to have one...

Comment

Originally posted by Laguna View Post
              Yesterday I received my Carson SC -1022 volunteer siren and so today I thought I should install it.. I tested it all before I put it in and it worked flawlessly.. I mounted it and got all the wires ready when I got a call.. When I came back I decided to finish, so(without checking the wires again) I plugged them in... 2 Seconds later it started smoking.. Seems like my stupidity caused me to place the power wires into the speaker output plug and the speaker wires into the power plug.. Sent a reverse 12v into the amp and fried it... A $270 mistake.. New one will be here tuesday Anyone else do this? Cause I can't shake the feeling that I was so close to finishing and now I'm days behind..
              270 for the siren? That commonly retails for 170? when you can buy a used PA300 for 50?

Let me sell you a radio! I got these Icoms that normally sell for 400, for you - 800!

Comment

I'm not throwing it away... In my Dept. We are actually required to have one...
                In your personal vehicle? What if you refuse? If the Department wants to require you to have one, let THEM buy it and have it professionally installed.
                "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
                  In your personal vehicle? What if you refuse? If the Department wants to require you to have one, let THEM buy it and have it professionally installed.
                  It must be a right of passage...

"For you to be a firefighter here, you have to spend your own money to play with us."
                  HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

I'm sure he means it is required if you use lights on your POV too. There is no way it is required to have lights and siren in your vehicle. But it is likely all or nothing due to the law.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
                      I'm sure he means it is required if you use lights on your POV too. There is no way it is required to have lights and siren in your vehicle. But it is likely all or nothing due to the law.
                      Exactly, sorry I left that out... Since most of our calls are to MVA's, and on the major highway, it is highly recommended to have 'em

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up...

It is highly frowned upon in this department. I don't want all the POVs on my scene and in my way.

Many years ago when I was with a combo dept... a call came in and one of the officers jumped into his POV rather than an Engine. The Chief wasn't impressed with his justification when he said "I wanted to get there first and see what we had."

Yeah, he had lights and siren.

He was fired.

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                          Thanks for clearing that up...

It is highly frowned upon in this department. I don't want all the POVs on my scene and in my way.

Many years ago when I was with a combo dept... a call came in and one of the officers jumped into his POV rather than an Engine. The Chief wasn't impressed with his justification when he said "I wanted to get there first and see what we had."

Yeah, he had lights and siren.

He was fired.
                          Do you live in Texas? And I don't agree with what that guy did.. If you are closer to an engine, take the engine.. But if the route calls for going 5 mins to get the engine and heading back the same way + 5 minutes to the scene take your pov.. My truck has a 100gal. tank in the back underneath the bed so I have a reason to take my pov.. But if you have no supplies, and no way to help out in your pov when you arrive.. just get the engine..

Comment

I'm not currently in Texas. I worked in SA in the 70's for awhile.

Comment

Do you live in Texas? And I don't agree with what that guy did.. If you are closer to an engine, take the engine.. But if the route calls for going 5 mins to get the engine and heading back the same way + 5 minutes to the scene take your pov.. My truck has a 100gal. tank in the back underneath the bed so I have a reason to take my pov.. But if you have no supplies, and no way to help out in your pov when you arrive.. just get the engine..
                              Now this I gotta see.
                              Career Firefighter
                              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X