Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why?
    Just a CYA for now. I firmly believe it will be mandatory in a few years, so why not be ahead of the curve! Oh, and the FD isn't paying for it!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

My Department doesn't have a system, but the guy with the most experience is usually the one to drive!
      All trucks handle different.....our 1975 International 3 ton 4X4 handles alot different than the 2005 C6500 Chevy 4X4, Which handles alot differant than the 2009 4 door 5 passanger Freightliner, Which handles alot differant than a 1979 Chevy Tandam axil Wheat Truck hauling 550 bushels of wheat!

btw......Just because you can pass all the tests doesn't mean you should drive....I have been on some grass fires with some of our most experienced guys and thought I was going to burn up because they stalled out the International in 6ft CRP grass.......

Comment

we have 10 apparatus. you have to log 2 hours drive time each, show competency on the pumps, and then for the Ariel have 5 hours of drive time/ ladder operation. Compentency on the hovercraft on land, water and ice, (usually around 4-5 hours) then then jet skis(min 1 hour).

That just gets you to the point that you can drive back from calls with an officer. Then when the officer feels like it, you can run emergency with them riding in the officer's chair until they feel comfortable, usually 10-20 calls. Then you can now drive the truck by your self. BTW.. non of this even takes place till after you have ALL you certficiation FF1/2, EVO, WF, HzOps, min MFR, ICS ect. Usually hire to rolling tires solo...2 - 2.5 years, if you work hard.
        Last edited by MonkeyBiz; 10-18-2010, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Harv & tree: Thanks for the lessons in train handling. Even though there were some tongue-in-cheek answers in the replies... Good chuckles too!
          hafd112, I would not want to start a new driver out on my biggest piece. Handling a 79,500 lb aerial with an 11 ft rear overhang and playing around on 10% grades, just isn't my idea of of fun training a new operator. Just try operating this sort of high center-of-gravity vehicle with air ride suspension down a macadam road with two gullies that it wants to climb up first one side and then the other, and then try to keep the new driver from making any fast wheel moves and getting scared. It is a sure way to scare the bejesus out of the trainee and the trainer. I gotta agree with Harv... Ease Into It!

Comment

Yep!...........

Originally posted by KuhShise View Post
            Harv & tree: Thanks for the lessons in train handling. Even though there were some tongue-in-cheek answers in the replies... Good chuckles too!
            hafd112, I would not want to start a new driver out on my biggest piece. Handling a 79,500 lb aerial with an 11 ft rear overhang and playing around on 10% grades, just isn't my idea of of fun training a new operator. Just try operating this sort of high center-of-gravity vehicle with air ride suspension down a macadam road with two gullies that it wants to climb up first one side and then the other, and then try to keep the new driver from making any fast wheel moves and getting scared. It is a sure way to scare the bejesus out of the trainee and the trainer. I gotta agree with Harv... Ease Into It!
            "Ease" is the thing....... I've never put anything in the Ditch, and I've never Broken a Knuckle. (I have been accused of Driving up the Price of Sand though..... )
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

I'd be happy to get 20 hours of firefighting training let alone driving.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X