Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Since question has been removed, there is no longer a point to this topic.
    Last edited by PaladinKnight; 10-10-2010, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Good advice from firemech

Sometimes there are alot of chiefs and a few Indians, so the chiefs do not know what the other chiefs are doing!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    I'm taking the kid's side here.

Danged if you do, and danged if you don't.

Help out the bear and you're neglecting your other duties. Don't help the bear and you're not a team player.

As FM1 points out, there are those who will "abuse" a rookie.

And there are those organizations where the chain of command isn't really that clear. Especially for an event like this.

Let's consider the folks who might have felt they had a right to give orders here:
    Chief
    Assistant/Deputy Chief(s)
    President
    Vice President
    Event Chair
    Captain(s)
    Lieutenant(s)
    Individual activity chairs

As already noted, your best course of action is to stick to your assigned task, and know who you answer to. Then you can point to them and say "he told me to do this, and I'm sticking with it. If you need me someplace else, clear it with him."

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    Learn your chain of command, and who over rides who.

Your rig officer "owns" you. You listen to him first. Any other rig officer should be treated with respect. But if they ask you to do something, politely ask him to clear it with YOUR officer. The only person that trumps your rig officer, is the Battalion Chief, or any other gold badge officer. If there is a problem, let YOUR officer know.
    If the Chief has control of you, then you only listen to him. All other requests for you to do something else, needs to be done through him, and nobody else. He IS, your Chief, and has the final word.

The next time you have an event similar to this one, ask who you should listen to. Senior FF's will use and abuse you to their benefit, as you're the probie. Don't make that mistake.

Don't take it too hard, just do what you are supposed to do by those in charge (Officers, not FF's).

FM1

Leave a comment:

• JasonAre
    replied
    Changed my mind.
    Last edited by JasonAre; 10-09-2010, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Your job as a probationary fire fighter is to do what your told and nothing else.

If your told to stand with one foot on the wall and a finger in your ear until told to do otherwise, that's what you do.

Part two of your job is open your ears and close your mouth.

Tonight was just an open house with nothing really at stake. Now let's move you onto the fireground. If you're not where you were told to be, you could get hurt or worse yet, you could get someone else hurt. You don't go looking for jobs to do at a fire scene. That's what your officer is there to do.

In other words, keep focused and you won't get booted. Start free-lancing, even for the little things, and you'll have issues.

Leave a comment:

• JasonAre
    started a topic I know I post alot of threads already..

I know I post alot of threads already..

Changed my mind.
    Last edited by JasonAre; 10-09-2010, 12:10 AM.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X