leaving work for calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving work for calls

Thanks in advance for those who contribute and or comment.

Wondering what or if some larger corporations or small businesses do to allow their employees to respond to emergencies as a volunteer Fire / EMS responder. For example in our district several of the small businesses allow their workers to leave with pay for the first hour but if the call runs for more than an hour they come off the clock, but they do not need to burn Vacation or sick time. One of our local business owners who is on the department tracks his hours away from the store due to fire and EMS calls , he takes his fire pay for those hours and splits it between those workers that have to cover his work.

SBLGFD

I think...and I'm sure Bones will know more details.

In NJ, your employer doesn't have to let you leave for fire calls, but cant penalize you for being late.

I think... memory is a bit fuzzy on this one.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I have heard of employers that allow employees to "bank time". They can work a few extra hours without pay, and bank the time. That way they can be paid when their gone for calls. Mostly gov. jobs (school, road Comm., DPW). I hear its very compilcated, bookkeeping wise.

Comment

One has to remember what keeps the roof over your head and food on the table.
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Agree that we need to remember about the roof over our heads. Just trying to get some ideas on what others have found and what some employers do to encourage their workers to get involved in and for the community.

Comment

We often close up and everyone in the building responds, depending on who is at work that day. Almost all employees other than receptionist and bookeepers over the years have been firefighter.

We are lucky however. The boss is a nice guy. LOL Most places cannot do such a thing.

Comment

Years ago when I worked at the steel mill, we were allowed to leave, and got paid for the first 4 hours. After 4 hours it was without pay.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                One has to remember what keeps the roof over your head and food on the table.
                Agreed.

Would your boss allow you to maybe make up time you lost by responding so that way he/she atleast gets the same amount of work out of you?

Comment

Our contract actually states -
                  Tardiness for Members of Volunteer Fire Departments, Volunteer Ambulance Services and Enrolled Civil Defense and Civil Air Patrol Volunteers,
                  An appointing authority shall excuse a reasonable amount of tardiness caused by direct emergency duties of duly authorized volunteer firefighters, members of volunteer ambulance services and enrolled civil defense and civil air patrol volunteers. In such cases, the appointing authority may require the employee to submit satisfactory evidence that the lateness was due to such emergency duties.
                  I also believe in the private sector, you can't be fired from a job for being late due to an emergency, but the employer does not have to pay you. At one job, I was allowed to leave, but had to make up the work during the day/evening...which for me wasn't a big deal because I lived on-site.

Comment

Here you are protected by law if you are a state employee and respond from work to an emergency, although this does not apply to city, parish, or private sector employment.

§893. Volunteer firefighters; leave without loss of pay, benefits, or employment

No certified volunteer firefighter employed by the state of Louisiana shall be denied leave, work-related benefits, or employment for absenting himself from said employment for the purpose of emergency response pursuant to such certification. An emergency shall be an unexpected occurrence that threatens life or property to which an established volunteer fire department or fire protection district responds while the certified volunteer firefighter is engaged in the normal course of state employment and to which the certified volunteer firefighter employed by the state of Louisiana may timely respond to utilize skills which enhance the preservation of life and property.

Acts 1999, No. 509, §1; Acts 2001, No. 1051, §1.

LRS 23:893
                    §893. Volunteer firefighters; leave without loss of pay, benefits, or employment

Comment

The federal installation where I worked (not as a firefighter) allows up to 40 hours each year for such purposes, subject to the approval of the supervisor, and with a letter from the Chief.

Being a half hour from the station, I usually didn't run on the relatively minor calls. When the kids were home they had instructions to let me know if the call went to mutual aid/extra alarms.

Of course, it all depended on the workload and other job requirements. Sometimes I simply couldn't leave.
                      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

My dept is a bit different, we’re a combo of volunteer and paid guys. Which means the paid guys take calls from 9am-6pm. Usually most of our guys are done work. So theres no interference in their day jobs.
                        “The more you sweat in practice the less you bleed in battle"

Comment

North Central Pennsylvania has always been quite an isolated place. The origins of the community were steeped in German traditions and self reliance. When the Virgin Timber was cut in the 1800's through 1920's the closest aid was 20 miles over mud roads, so the community, true to its heritage, survived by banding together to provide fire protection for the lumbering, sawmills and associated industries. The major mills had steam pumpers, but the local volunteers provided the manpower. Thus all the mills, chair factory, kindling wood factory, tannery and the wood alcohol plants formed an agreement, that their employees, who were volunteer fire company members would be released to fight fire, and their pay would continue for their regular shift. When all the timber had been cut, the owners of the mills turned their wealth into the carbon and powder metal industries. These were the same families that had originally built the mills, and so the practice continued right up to the present day. There has been some pulling back of the old practice, but every firefighter is still released if a second alarm is sounded for more manpower on large working fires. In the 1950's through 2000, if you were on piecework, the average earned rate for the period before you responded was paid until you returned. This is the same courtesy afforded to our Servicemens Burial Detail for funerals, with numerous individuals being paid while performing community service.

Comment

My work allows me to leave if the call is a large call i.e structure fire, mutual aid, large car wreck etc or if an additional page is put out. I'm not paid for leaving for work but they do not count it against me. Same goes for if I am late to work because of a call. I just have to call in as soon as possible to let the higher ups know whats going on. Iowa passed a law last year that protects volunteer ff/first responders from being terminated because they are late to work because they were responding to a call.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Coo...se&hbill=HF671

Comment

Our policy is similar to pasobuff. The supervisor is allowed to grant approximately 40 hours a year of admin leave. The wording in the policy is a little gray in that it doesn't mandate that the supervisor allow the leave. In general as long as it's not abused there is not an issue. We are not allowed to leave work however unless it's something big. The only time I left was for a 5 alarm fire in our first due.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X