X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
    Ibut they threw an airpack on me and before you knew it I was a firefighter.
    And then they threw you out because you didn't fulfill your training requirements.

Life is funny.

Leave a comment:

• scfire86
    replied
    Originally posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
    Eventually, I'm not sure how it happened, but they threw an airpack on me and before you knew it I was a firefighter.
    And then volunteer companies wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Crowscare_Devoe57
    replied
    Originally posted by Iessthename View Post
    nah, just stick to your scanner.

he wants the shirt and the title, but doesn't have the cohoneys to do it.
    That is demeaning to a person who wants to help in whatever capacity he's able. Maybe he doesn't want to risk his life, but wants to be able to be a part of this great fire service. Is all honestly, is there anything wrong with that?

I personally had done the same thing in my small town. Eventually, I'm not sure how it happened, but they threw an airpack on me and before you knew it I was a firefighter. Can I say that I planned that? No, honestly, I wanted to help around the fire station, roll hose and other things. I envied the camaraderie of these men and admit I wanted a part. I originally wanted no part of anything dangerous and knew it wasn't for me. But now look down the road this many years later. The point is, you never know what path you'll eventually take. Let's not judge.

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I am also wondering why you're taking Fire Science as well and not pursuing Firefighting.

Where are you?

I can use a guy that can sweep floors, wash trucks, wash and hang hose, clean the restrooms, etc. I can give you 20 hours in one day and I promise you won't fall asleep. Our guys will keep you moving...

Yes it is possible to do as you ask. Some departments may not allow it due to insurance reasons. Just go to your local department and ask to talk to the Chief of Operations or the Chief.

Good luck and try to enjoy it while you can.
    That is one thing I cannot stand for community service to to. Not only are most of them too stupid to know what cleaners to use where, but no one, not even other firefighters, can wash and clean my engine like I can. I feel like everyone who has the responsibility of keeping up a truck should feel the same way.

Leave a comment:

• FIRE117
    replied
    Community Service

Since you did not mention the location where you are at, here is a general response:

1) If there is a career/combo fire station in your community, go the station and ask to
    see the officer on duty. Tell him your situation and have him contact the chief about
    your request.

2) If the local FD is volunteer, contact the township or city hall and ask for the name
    and phone number of the local fire chief. Inquire with the chief on what you are offering
    to do (community service).

If a FD is not interested in helping you with the community service hours, contact adjacent FD's until you find one.

If your fire science course requires you to complete this community service, the instructor should already have some type of arrangement with area FD's. If not, you can ask that they do. I would assume that other students in the course are looking for a FD to perform these hours, too. You may want to cooperate with other students in finding a FD and performing the hours at the same time. This would benefit a volunteer FD, as the person supervising you can have all the individuals do this at once.

As far as insurance coverage, ask the fire science instructor to check with the college to determine if the college's insurance will cover you while performing the hours. Since the hours are part of the course, there is a possibility that the college will provide coverage during these hours. If so, have the instructor have the college complete a letter agreeing to cover the students during the hours at the FD. Presenting this to the FD that you want to perform service at, will entice the FD to accept your service.

Good luck on your endeavors! I wish I had someone to work C.S. hours at the two FD's I am a member of. More hands make less work!

Leave a comment:

• Iessthename
    replied
    Last edited by Iessthename; 09-28-2010, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ffbam24
    replied
    Honestly, I don't think this should have been moved to the "Volunteer Forum".

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Marshall - I think most realize that fire science involves more than firefighting. But I think a lot of people would feel better about a fire protection plan written by some one who has "crawled the hall" - --- Mr. Murphy should be a factor in anything involving fire, and what better way to get aquanted with him ?

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    I am also wondering why you're taking Fire Science as well and not pursuing Firefighting.
    Possibly because fire science is more than just firefighting.

Leave a comment:

• BW21
    replied
    ....my brains....

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    This is the case here, all HS students are required to have 20 hrs community service for graduation. We have had numerous kids come do projects at the firehouse.
    Our seventh graders were, for a number of years, required to do a public service project that included a survey, a plan, and several other factors. One of the first years it was required my son was in seventh grade, so my department was the benefactor of their largess.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here - and a certain amount of credit for coming onto this forum to ask the question.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Usually when one hears the term "community service".. it is required by the Courts as a form of restitution....

Gonz, I do think you have hit the nail a solid blow!

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    I'm buying stock in torches and pitchforks.

Leave a comment:

• Greenacres2
    replied
    Can't speak for other branches, but (according to my son) community service hours are a factor in the service record in the USAF. If you're near an air base it might be a source of helping hands.

Unfortunately, we are near three state prisons...

earl

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    New HS requirement

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
    I think that the high schools here are now requiring a certain number of community service hours for graduation. That may be what he is needing. The community service workers that we get are the ones that get sentenced to community service for an infraction of the law.
    This is the case here, all HS students are required to have 20 hrs community service for graduation. We have had numerous kids come do projects at the firehouse.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X