No announcement yet.

Volunteering at a fire department?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marshall - I think most realize that fire science involves more than firefighting. But I think a lot of people would feel better about a fire protection plan written by some one who has "crawled the hall" - --- Mr. Murphy should be a factor in anything involving fire, and what better way to get aquanted with him ?
    ?

Comment

Honestly, I don't think this should have been moved to the "Volunteer Forum".

Comment

Last edited by Iessthename; 09-28-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Community Service

Since you did not mention the location where you are at, here is a general response:

1) If there is a career/combo fire station in your community, go the station and ask to
          see the officer on duty. Tell him your situation and have him contact the chief about
          your request.

2) If the local FD is volunteer, contact the township or city hall and ask for the name
          and phone number of the local fire chief. Inquire with the chief on what you are offering
          to do (community service).

If a FD is not interested in helping you with the community service hours, contact adjacent FD's until you find one.

If your fire science course requires you to complete this community service, the instructor should already have some type of arrangement with area FD's. If not, you can ask that they do. I would assume that other students in the course are looking for a FD to perform these hours, too. You may want to cooperate with other students in finding a FD and performing the hours at the same time. This would benefit a volunteer FD, as the person supervising you can have all the individuals do this at once.

As far as insurance coverage, ask the fire science instructor to check with the college to determine if the college's insurance will cover you while performing the hours. Since the hours are part of the course, there is a possibility that the college will provide coverage during these hours. If so, have the instructor have the college complete a letter agreeing to cover the students during the hours at the FD. Presenting this to the FD that you want to perform service at, will entice the FD to accept your service.

Good luck on your endeavors! I wish I had someone to work C.S. hours at the two FD's I am a member of. More hands make less work!

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
            I am also wondering why you're taking Fire Science as well and not pursuing Firefighting.

Where are you?

I can use a guy that can sweep floors, wash trucks, wash and hang hose, clean the restrooms, etc. I can give you 20 hours in one day and I promise you won't fall asleep. Our guys will keep you moving...

Yes it is possible to do as you ask. Some departments may not allow it due to insurance reasons. Just go to your local department and ask to talk to the Chief of Operations or the Chief.

Good luck and try to enjoy it while you can.
            That is one thing I cannot stand for community service to to. Not only are most of them too stupid to know what cleaners to use where, but no one, not even other firefighters, can wash and clean my engine like I can. I feel like everyone who has the responsibility of keeping up a truck should feel the same way.
            Career Firefighter
            Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by Iessthename View Post
              nah, just stick to your scanner.

he wants the shirt and the title, but doesn't have the cohoneys to do it.
              That is demeaning to a person who wants to help in whatever capacity he's able. Maybe he doesn't want to risk his life, but wants to be able to be a part of this great fire service. Is all honestly, is there anything wrong with that?

I personally had done the same thing in my small town. Eventually, I'm not sure how it happened, but they threw an airpack on me and before you knew it I was a firefighter. Can I say that I planned that? No, honestly, I wanted to help around the fire station, roll hose and other things. I envied the camaraderie of these men and admit I wanted a part. I originally wanted no part of anything dangerous and knew it wasn't for me. But now look down the road this many years later. The point is, you never know what path you'll eventually take. Let's not judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
                Eventually, I'm not sure how it happened, but they threw an airpack on me and before you knew it I was a firefighter.
                And then volunteer companies wonder why no one takes them seriously.
                I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowscare_Devoe57 View Post
                  Ibut they threw an airpack on me and before you knew it I was a firefighter.
                  And then they threw you out because you didn't fulfill your training requirements.

Life is funny.
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X