Volunteering at a fire department?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering at a fire department?

Is it possible to volunteer at a fire department for community service?

Now I don't mean a volunteer firefighter. I mean just helping out, perhaps cleaning and whatnot.

I'm taking Fire Science and we need 20 hours of community service. Volunteering at a fire department might be a good idea if at all possible.

Why are you taking fire science if you don't want to be a part of the fire service?

Its like going to an Ivy league school for a MBA and working as a burger flipper at MickeyD's
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I am also wondering why you're taking Fire Science as well and not pursuing Firefighting.

Where are you?

I can use a guy that can sweep floors, wash trucks, wash and hang hose, clean the restrooms, etc. I can give you 20 hours in one day and I promise you won't fall asleep. Our guys will keep you moving...

Yes it is possible to do as you ask. Some departments may not allow it due to insurance reasons. Just go to your local department and ask to talk to the Chief of Operations or the Chief.

Good luck and try to enjoy it while you can.
      HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Given the stated purpose of doing community service as part of the class, I'm guessing that joining a fire department may not be in the cards at the moment.

And given the usual time lapse between turning in the application and approval thereof, his class may be over before he can get his 20 hours in.

Find out what's available in your area for the fire service. Contact some departments that would be convenient for you to reach, travel-wise, and tell them what you need to do.

Some may not have the situation for you to work with them (ie, no regular station staffing), some may be more than willing to take you under their wing. Sweeping the floors and polishing some brass may also provide you with the opportunity to interact with these folks and learn more about the everyday doings of the fire service than any class you could attend.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Number 11 View Post

Now I don't mean a volunteer firefighter. I mean just helping out, perhaps cleaning and whatnot.

I'm taking Fire Science and we need 20 hours of community service. Volunteering at a fire department might be a good idea if at all possible.
          Uh, YES... Where are you? I need some work done at my station 2....

Comment

Originally posted by Number 11 View Post

Yes, it is possible. We take community service workers quite a bit, especially just prior to our concerts to help clean everything up and set up.

Comment

Usually when one hears the term "community service".. it is required by the Courts as a form of restitution....
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                Usually when one hears the term "community service".. it is required by the Courts as a form of restitution....
                I think that the high schools here are now requiring a certain number of community service hours for graduation. That may be what he is needing. The community service workers that we get are the ones that get sentenced to community service for an infraction of the law.
                Last edited by Eng34FF; 09-24-2010, 08:32 AM.

Comment

New HS requirement

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
                  I think that the high schools here are now requiring a certain number of community service hours for graduation. That may be what he is needing. The community service workers that we get are the ones that get sentenced to community service for an infraction of the law.
                  This is the case here, all HS students are required to have 20 hrs community service for graduation. We have had numerous kids come do projects at the firehouse.

Comment

Can't speak for other branches, but (according to my son) community service hours are a factor in the service record in the USAF. If you're near an air base it might be a source of helping hands.

Unfortunately, we are near three state prisons...

earl

Comment

I'm buying stock in torches and pitchforks.
                      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

Gonz, I do think you have hit the nail a solid blow!
                        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                          This is the case here, all HS students are required to have 20 hrs community service for graduation. We have had numerous kids come do projects at the firehouse.
                          Our seventh graders were, for a number of years, required to do a public service project that included a survey, a plan, and several other factors. One of the first years it was required my son was in seventh grade, so my department was the benefactor of their largess.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here - and a certain amount of credit for coming onto this forum to ask the question.
                          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

....my brains....

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
                              I am also wondering why you're taking Fire Science as well and not pursuing Firefighting.
                              Possibly because fire science is more than just firefighting.
                              "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                              sigpic
                              The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X