X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Us Too...... One thing you need to watch out for - Rookies putting Hot Stuff in a PLASTIC Bucket............
    I went to the home improvement store and picked up a couple of metal buckets and a good old fireplace shovel as we could never seem to find them at the fire scene when we needed them, which hasn't been very often.

We also carry some dry chem in baggies.

Been known to have to recover a Haligan from the bottom of the chimney....

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    Us Too...... One thing you need to watch out for - Rookies putting Hot Stuff in a PLASTIC Bucket............
    Or setting the metal bucket with HOT coals on somebody's carpet.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    replied
    Yep........

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
    We also have some small hand tools (screwdrivers, pliers, vice-grips) to help remove the caps. Also salvage covers and a large pail to remove contents of the firebox.

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    We also have some small hand tools (screwdrivers, pliers, vice-grips) to help remove the caps. Also salvage covers and a large pail to remove contents of the firebox.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    We have chimney chains that have a a chunk of steel attached with a point welded to it. Above that are 3 flail chains. We also carry heavy heat resistant mittens for handling the chain.

We carry extinguisher grenades, baggies with dry chem in them, to toss down the chimney for knockdown.

All of that is in a metal pail with a mirror and shovel.

But to be honest, even with the upsurge in wood burning we haven't had a chimney fire in well over 3 years. I think people around here are getting more wood fuel savy.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    An electric vent fan and a dry-chem (or water can works in a pinch) is all we carry. Leave the knock-down of the creosote for the chimney sweeps after we leave. And we always tell them they need to find a someone to clean the chimney before they start another fire.

We used to do the whole chain thing, but we had too many instances where the homeowners felt we cleaned out the chimney enough to use it and they didn't need to call the chimney sweep. That's too much liability for my taste.

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Originally posted by DoubleOSpoon View Post
    Hey guys, was unable to locate anything via search so I figured I'd ask here.

Our fire department just purchased a new first due fire engine. On our old rig, we've got a chimney fire bucket. In it we have the snuffer nozzle, and a long chain that branches out on both ends. We lower this down to clear the soot as I'm sure many other departments do.

I was wondering if anyone had a specialized tool or setup in order to accomplish this task? We may end up using the same setup on the new engine, but I know I've seen specialized tools I just can't seem to find anything online. Links to vendors who carry such products is appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I can only go on what you describe for the chain, but it sounds right. I'd like to see the picture of the sniffer nozzle. Add some chimney bombs and I think you're set.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleOSpoon
    started a topic Chimney Fire Equipment

Chimney Fire Equipment

Hey guys, was unable to locate anything via search so I figured I'd ask here.

Our fire department just purchased a new first due fire engine. On our old rig, we've got a chimney fire bucket. In it we have the snuffer nozzle, and a long chain that branches out on both ends. We lower this down to clear the soot as I'm sure many other departments do.

I was wondering if anyone had a specialized tool or setup in order to accomplish this task? We may end up using the same setup on the new engine, but I know I've seen specialized tools I just can't seem to find anything online. Links to vendors who carry such products is appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X