Chimney Fire Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
    We don't chain chimneys any more. To much liability.

We do use dry chem bombs however. No water.
    We have the ability to "condemn" a chimney, which forces the homeowner to have it inspected before it is used again. We don't claim to be chimney experts, so this gives us a nice out if the homeowner decides to light things up again right after we leave.

I remember reading about a fire department that had a technique for putting water in a chimney - something about short bursts and fine fog, IIRC. Fortunately, I don't remember enough about it to actually try it....

We have been known to help the homeowner take a chimney down when it was obvious that it would have to be replace. That generally has been a case where a masonry chimney runs up the side of a house.
    Last edited by tree68; 09-22-2010, 07:00 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Our chimney kits consist of:

20 gallon metal trash can with raised bottom containing:
      fiberglass mat to put on floor under can while shoveling out coals
      4 pair heavy leather welding gloves
      1 heavy duty pair of log tongs
      metal coal shovel
      metal mirror
      60 feet of 3/8" chain with carabiner on each end
      old iron window weight
      6 & 8" wire brush
      dry chem extender nozzle[ 3 ft length of 1" garden house with fitting to screw into extinguisher] makes it easy to direct the dry chem up the chimney to the source of fire
      6,8,& 10 inch flue caps to close off flue if we remove stove pipe
      Thermal hot spotter sensor to check temps.
      extendo mirror to look into clean out door

All of this along with a 12' x3' heavy hall runner, a 10lb abc extinguisher , a 2 1/2 pw can and thermal imager are in the rear side compartment on both our engines.We also have a set of fiberglass rods with chisel point and brush attachments for them.

We average a half a dozen real working chimney fires per heating season along with quite a few where the blast furnace has resolved before we arrive on scene. Some wood burners feel that once they have a chimney fire they're good to continue.

We do not clean the chimney for the homeowner. we mitigate the risk of the chimney fire extending and burning down the house.
      We tell them not to burn again until they have it inspected and professionally cleaned by a licensed professional.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
        Some wood burners feel that once they have a chimney fire they're good to continue.
        Indeed. That's how many old-timers cleaned their chimneys....

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
          Indeed. That's how many old-timers cleaned their chimneys....
          There is a major difference between having a hot fire to burn out minimal creosote buildup and having a chimney full of creosote caused soot and ash that catches on fire and blows like a welding torch.

Any competent wood burner will have a good hot fire on a regular basis to remove that buildup. Usually a blowing chimney fire is caused by one of 3things and sometimes a combination of the 3: 1) An inexperienced wood burner 2) Using green, wet wood 3) Closing the damper and not allowing free burning fires to eliminate most of the creosote.
          Last edited by FyredUp; 09-23-2010, 06:30 PM.
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
            I can only go on what you describe for the chain, but it sounds right. I'd like to see the picture of the sniffer nozzle. Add some chimney bombs and I think you're set.
            Hey Knight, I heard the Chem Flex, chim flex or whatever the company was called. It is the flare thing you just ignite and put in the stove/fireplace. The company burned down several years ago. I saw an add a few days ago but forgot to look for a website
            Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Fireeaterbob View Post
              We carry something akin to Fyred Ups along with a pail and scoop, but I LIKE the hand tool idea... I've made more thant a trip or two to the truck to get em.
              don't people carry 6IN1 screwdriver and vice grips in your pockets?
              Originally Posted by madden01
              "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Comment

Seems like everybody has it covered.

Besides, it's hard to think about chimney fires when it's 95 degrees and we are chasing brush fires all day.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                  Seems like everybody has it covered.

Besides, it's hard to think about chimney fires when it's 95 degrees and we are chasing brush fires all day.
                  Yep - had 34 degrees (Fahrenheit) two days ago... Chimney fire season is upon us...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X