X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Originally posted by HAFD112 View Post
    At 18 most people are not finish with their education, we don't want to train people and then have them go off to college or move away for a job. The powers that be like to get folks with a steady job, a couple kids, and own a house. I have seen exptions made: but it's 21 in the bylaws.
    Unfortunately by the time you do all of that, especially the house and kids, you no longer have a lot of time for the required training and to do the volunteer thing. There are exceptions, but the opinion around here is that it's better to catch them early when they have time to train and spend time at the station and then keep them through school and as they get older.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    At 18 most people are not finish with their education, we don't want to train people and then have them go off to college or move away for a job. The powers that be like to get folks with a steady job, a couple kids, and own a house. I have seen exptions made: but it's 21 in the bylaws.
    Then don't expect to get much of an improvement. Most places that take members at 18 (or younger) keep a good percentage of them as they get older and those people would not have joined if they weren't given the opportunity early.

Leave a comment:

• JayDudley
    replied
    If you have a combined fire department i.e. Paid and Volunteer I think 18 for the lower age and 67 is about right for the upper although there are plenty of us older guy's who can still help out. I would hate to be the one who tells the Chief or Assistant Chief they are out the door because of their age.

Leave a comment:

• HAFD112
    replied
    Originally posted by nmfire View Post
    Why 21 and not 18?

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Does your dept. have age requirments?
    Ours are 21yo for applicants and 67yo for retirment. We have been considering making some changes to the retirment age. Only having 25 members we need to make room for younger firfighters but we also don't want to lose the experienced guys. How would you react.

The retirment age we affect the Chief and Asst. Chief in the next 4 years.
    Here it is 16 to join as a junior member and take the classes. We have no upper age limit, but most of the older members stick to driving apparatus or doing admin tasks.

Sounds like you limit the number of members. Maybe that is a place to look if you need to bring in more members.

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Eighteen to join (and take NYS classes), no upper limit. Most folks realize it's a younger person's game, but that the old dogs still bring a lot to the table.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    Why 21 and not 18?

Leave a comment:

• HAFD112
    started a topic age requirments

age requirments

Does your dept. have age requirments?
    Ours are 21yo for applicants and 67yo for retirment. We have been considering making some changes to the retirment age. Only having 25 members we need to make room for younger firfighters but we also don't want to lose the experienced guys. How would you react.

The retirment age we affect the Chief and Asst. Chief in the next 4 years.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X