No announcement yet.

Volunteer response from the station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never said it couldn't be done if you had a motivated group of volunteers.

It is a fairly low volume VFD at a little under 400 calls a year.

I would have a few questions such as do they do their own hydrant testing and inspection, or does the city do it? How many commercial structures and how many pre-plans? Number of engines and hoseload?

There are ISO 1's in a few places, so obviously a VFD could do it.
    LaFireEducator
    Forum Member
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-12-2010, 06:59 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

I am sure that you could email them and find out.

Comment

Last time we were rated we came very close to a 2.

This time, there is a pretty reasonable chance we will be a 2. A lot will depend ion the new format for rating water shuttles on paper as compared to an actual performance.

Something tells me that on paper, we will not have the flows we have had with an actual shuttle.

The other thing the Chief is concerned about is being a marginal 2 and then losing it on the next rating.

The additional full-time firefighter will help with response points and having an extra person to assist with the related tasks.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
          Last time we were rated we came very close to a 2.

This time, there is a pretty reasonable chance we will be a 2. A lot will depend ion the new format for rating water shuttles on paper as compared to an actual performance.

Something tells me that on paper, we will not have the flows we have had with an actual shuttle.
          From what I am understanding the new shuttle schedule will computer simulated. I think that defeats the purpose of the shuttle, but then again the actual shuttle exercise is unrealistic, IMO.

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
          The other thing the Chief is concerned about is being a marginal 2 and then losing it on the next rating.

The additional full-time firefighter will help with response points and having an extra person to assist with the related tasks.
          Actually the extra person, being paid, will equal 3 volunteers for rating purposes. I do not agree with this formula, but that is how it is scheduled. I would think that an actual manpower response history would be a better measure of available manpower. Politics, you gotta love'em.

Comment

From what I am understanding the new shuttle schedule will computer simulated. I think that defeats the purpose of the shuttle, but then again the actual shuttle exercise is unrealistic, IMO.

The new system will use a computer simulation, very similiar to the data used now to determine initial travel time, response time and the like. The only change is that the computer will now calculate travel time to and from the dump site and dump time based on the size of the dump and the tank.

The biggest change as I understand it is that instead of one shuttle for the entire district, you will have to do multiple shuttles for larger districts such as ours. I beleive we will have to do 3 computer shuttles, and somehow the results of those 3 will be merged into a single water hauling rating.

It will obviously be much safer, but I have a feeling the numbers will come out a little bit higher for us as we have always performed much better on the physical shuttle than most other departments.

Actually the extra person, being paid, will equal 3 volunteers for rating purposes. I do not agree with this formula, but that is how it is scheduled. I would think that an actual manpower response history would be a better measure of available manpower. Politics, you gotta love'em

ISO is the same way and it's always been a crock.

Biggest thing for us with the extra man on is that it will give us an extra body for hose and hydrant testing.

Comment

We run EMS at the First Responder Level. Our local volunteer ambulance service runs at the Intermediate EMS level. We will do EMS at accident/fire calls. We are only dispatched for EMS runs when the local EMS service is out on another call or unavailable for some reason. We do not transport, basically we are paged to provide medical response until mutual aid ambulances arrive to take patient care.

Comment

we generally roll with the first 2 that show up and or grab someones gear and meet on scene.
                next ones in roll the next apparatus.
                our response time varies, but functional.
                mutual aid is big in these parts when the pagers start hittin the third time for the next city, i start gettin my boots on...lol
                we have alot of guys on shift work at local companies so hard to say who makes it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X