Clear All
    monkybrainz
    Forum Member

• monkybrainz
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    See their web site:

www.gdvfd18.com
    wow, thats one heck of a set up, love the colors..
    amazing that thats a VFD!

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    Forum Member

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by monkybrainz View Post
    are your ambulances part of your department or private?

See their web site:

www.gdvfd18.com

Leave a comment:

• monkybrainz
    Forum Member

• monkybrainz
    replied
    Originally posted by hwoods View Post
    We do more Rescue than Fire, so we're set up for it. Our People are already at the Station, and are on the Road in less than a minute. We operate a "Fire" Engine, a Rescue Engine and a Heavy Rescue Squad (See my website link below) as well as 2 Ambulances. POV Response is rare, and usually happens when a Member finds an incident when he/she is already on the Road. Our Crews vary, but 5-8 on the Squad is common, along with 2-3 on the Ambulance. Things like positioning a piece of Apparatus for blocking, wearing Vests, etc is second nature to us. Since we control the whole Ball Game, (Fire,EMS,Extrication,etc) We have no problems.
    are your ambulances part of your department or private?

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    Forum Member

• GTRider245
    replied
    The Long Island boys run 6 on a heavy. I see nothing wrong with leaving the guy in charge in the truck to double check something with the computer that you aren't sure about. While he is doing that, the other 5 can be getting the equipment staged, stabilizing the vehicle, performing patient care, pulling a hose line etc.

I agree that the system does not replace a good set of core basic skills, but it is without a doubt another tool in the tool box to use on scene. And being as around here we hardly ever, IF ever, cut on high end cars like that, I am not going to tell him what they do is wrong.

Leave a comment:

• HAFD112
    Forum Member

• HAFD112
    replied
    We've got a few expensive cars here too....... Ran a Crash last Summer that turned out to be an Overturned Bentley........ Looking around at a Traffic Light, I'm sure to spot one of the above Makes.... Jaguars are popular here, especially with folks of Middle Eastern decent. But, I Digress. I'm more of the opinion that, as noted above, that we should concentrate on where NOT to Cut........... Side Note - We use all HURST Equipment too, with the Rescue having a Trimo Pump feeding 3 Reels that are connected to a Transformer Jaws, Cutter, and a Combo Tool. There is several sections of extra Hose, a Set of Rams, a Gas Powered Pump, and a Box of "Accessories". This Setup is on the Drivers Side, First Compartment back in the Box. There is a "Mirror Image" Set in the opposite Compartment on the Officers Side. And we know how to use the Stuff...........
    You have the same tools on both sides of the apparatus? What is a transformer jaws?

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Ummm...........

Originally posted by rescuedawg View Post
    Try living in the land of millionaires. Have you cut on the latest Mercedes, BMWS, PORCHES, FERRARIS. These cars have as many as 14 or more air bags in them. Cut the wrong spot and bam an undeployed air bag goes off in someones face. We have yet to reboot a computer with the HURST software. Come out to Long Island and watch some of our JOLT tournaments. See how fast a well oiled and practiced team can open a car up. Everyone of these teams was taught the basics at the Nassau or Suffolk county fire academy. The instructors are 90% FDNY RESCUE Company members. Next week we get the MOC from Hurst, The MOTHER OF ALL CUTTERS! That will give us one set of Jaws, 2 cutters, a combo tool, three power packs(two gas and one truck mounted electric). Plus 3 air hammers and a wizzer saw.
    We've got a few expensive cars here too....... Ran a Crash last Summer that turned out to be an Overturned Bentley........ Looking around at a Traffic Light, I'm sure to spot one of the above Makes.... Jaguars are popular here, especially with folks of Middle Eastern decent. But, I Digress. I'm more of the opinion that, as noted above, that we should concentrate on where NOT to Cut........... Side Note - We use all HURST Equipment too, with the Rescue having a Trimo Pump feeding 3 Reels that are connected to a Transformer Jaws, Cutter, and a Combo Tool. There is several sections of extra Hose, a Set of Rams, a Gas Powered Pump, and a Box of "Accessories". This Setup is on the Drivers Side, First Compartment back in the Box. There is a "Mirror Image" Set in the opposite Compartment on the Officers Side. And we know how to use the Stuff...........

Leave a comment:

• rescuedawg
    Forum Member

• rescuedawg
    replied
    Try living in the land of millionaires. Have you cut on the latest Mercedes, BMWS, PORCHES, FERRARIS. These cars have as many as 14 or more air bags in them. Cut the wrong spot and bam an undeployed air bag goes off in someones face. We have yet to reboot a computer with the HURST software. Come out to Long Island and watch some of our JOLT tournaments. See how fast a well oiled and practiced team can open a car up. Everyone of these teams was taught the basics at the Nassau or Suffolk county fire academy. The instructors are 90% FDNY RESCUE Company members. Next week we get the MOC from Hurst, The MOTHER OF ALL CUTTERS! That will give us one set of Jaws, 2 cutters, a combo tool, three power packs(two gas and one truck mounted electric). Plus 3 air hammers and a wizzer saw.

Leave a comment:

• Blulakr
    Forum Member

• Blulakr
    replied
    I'm still stuck on the idea of using a Computer Software Program to tell you where to Cut.......... I can see a program to tell you where NOT to cut, but beyond that......... I guess I'm old fashioned enough to think that my people should know their job, and how to do it, without being told.... But then, I also think spreading a Tarp out and laying all your tools out before you start extrication is kinda........ well....Dumb. In the time it takes to spread out the Tarp properly, my folks have cut the car in half and are taking up.....
    I agree. I had to read that post twice to make sure I read it right.

If you depend on your computer program to tell you how to safely extricate a victim then you'd be screwed if for some reason you no longer have that info available. Computers fail at the worst times.

"Hold on ma'am, apply direct pressure to that head wound while we reboot our computer"

Plus every incident is different and unique with it's own challenges and hazards. No computer program can anticipate these.

I'd be curious to see this program in action at a real incident. My guess is that more often than not the computer's suggestions are abandoned at some point.

As far as the scene tarp goes, we usually deploy one eventually and as tools are done being used they are placed there so that they can be examined and\or cleaned before storing.
    Blulakr
    Forum Member
    Last edited by Blulakr; 09-22-2010, 12:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Huh??.........

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
    The only time I've seen a tarp put put other than training is when the snow was deep enough that we had to worry about losing tools. Other than that, we generally don't take the time, unless we have a probie that can't do anything else, but they normally don't get to ride the Squad.

SNOW?? You have Snow??.............

I know what you mean with that. I hope this year is better.....

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    MembersZone Subscriber

• Eng34FF
    replied
    I'm still stuck on the idea of using a Computer Software Program to tell you where to Cut.......... I can see a program to tell you where NOT to cut, but beyond that......... I guess I'm old fashioned enough to think that my people should know their job, and how to do it, without being told.... But then, I also think spreading a Tarp out and laying all your tools out before you start extrication is kinda........ well....Dumb. In the time it takes to spread out the Tarp properly, my folks have cut the car in half and are taking up.....
    The only time I've seen a tarp put put other than training is when the snow was deep enough that we had to worry about losing tools. Other than that, we generally don't take the time, unless we have a probie that can't do anything else, but they normally don't get to ride the Squad.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Hmmm.........

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    MembersZone Subscriber

• tree68
    replied
    From what I've seen of the Hurst program, I'd think putting a little tape where you aren't supposed to cut (and those spots exist) would be more beneficial. I should hope that my tool people would already know where they are supposed to cut.

Leave a comment:

• HAFD112
    Forum Member

• HAFD112
    replied
    We are trying to get a computer, mostly for pre plans, reports and Hazmat info. Having the crash software would be a fringe benifit.

The crash software is good for grants, it makes your request seem more urgent.

Leave a comment:

• PaladinKnight
    Forum Member

• PaladinKnight
    replied
    Harve... I guess I missed that day at school where they taught how to use medical tape on cars.

What ever happened to "Try before you pry", "look before you cut" and "use some basic common sense (FGS)"?

My question is... "What if the patient is bleeding out?"

Does the computer cover that?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but time could be really important.

Leave a comment:

• hwoods
    63 Years & Still Rolling

• hwoods
    replied
    Huh??...........

Originally posted by rescuedawg View Post
    Our dept has four laptop computers with the Hurst crash software on it. The OIC sizes up the car and puts the info into the computer. Then using medical tape(sticks to anything even when wet) marks all the cuts to be made. Then the tools go to work and only then. No freelance cutting and prying.

You ARE Making this up Right??......

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X