Training Requirements for Officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Requirements for Officers

I am working on updating our training requirements for our company officers. Does anyone have any recommendations or examples of what training you require for everyone from Lieutenants to the Fire Chief.

Thanks

Well.............

Lets Start from the Bottom......

Firefighter - Firefighter I, EMT-B, CPR/AED, Hazmat Ops.

Driver - Firefighter Qualified for 2 Years plus 10 Hours Driver Training on Each Vehicle, Emergency Vehicle Operator's Course (EVOC) Pumps Course, FADO Certificate.

Lieutenant - Qualified Firefighter for 3 Years, Plus Rescue Technician, Firefighter II,

Captain - Qualified Lieutenant for 1 year, Fire Officer I, Instructor I

Deputy and/or Assistant Chief - Qualified Captain for 1 year, Fire Officer II, Instructor II

Chief - Qualified Deputy or Assistant Chief for 1 Year.

In a very busy area such as ours, where a reasonably active member gains a lot of experience quickly, these Requirements are reasonable and attainable.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Our department has slots for 29 firefighters and officers, though we currently only have about 23 or 24 on the roster. We recently instituted officer qualifications in order to streamline the nomination and election process (active members vote, but it is only a reccommendation to the District Trustees).

Lieutenants - 10 Years OR Certified FFII

Captain - 10 years OR Certified FFII AND must have served as a Lieutenant

Asst. Chief - 10 Years OR Certified FFII AND must have served as a Lieutenant OR Captain

Chief - 10 Years OR Certified FFII AND must have served as a Lieutenant OR Captain OR Assistant Chief

These requirements will soon become obsolete, however, for a couple of reasons:

1. The State of Illinois now requires officers (I'm not sure if it's all or just chief officers) to be minimally certified FFII. Members currently in an officer position are exempt.

2. That requirement will soon need to be modified as the State of Illinois is eliminating FFII and FFIII and replacing them with FF Basic and FF Advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Big13House View Post
        I am working on updating our training requirements for our company officers. Does anyone have any recommendations or examples of what training you require for everyone from Lieutenants to the Fire Chief.

Thanks
        You have already asked this in another thread?? You received answered as well.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

12 Gauge...............

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
          You have already asked this in another thread?? You received answered as well.

Shotgun Approach...... Spray enough Lead, you'll hit something......

(Rumor had it that my Wife's first husband came up with that idea.... )
          In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
            Shotgun Approach...... Spray enough Lead, you'll hit something......

(Rumor had it that my Wife's first husband came up with that idea.... )

Did you get hit by the shot???
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Of course, your requirements should reflect what is reasonably avaialble to your personnel.

In my past department, nothing beyond FFI was reasonably available in the state as it simply wasn't offered, and there was no testing available. Even sating the FFI was available was a stretch.

Here, in LA, that's certainly the case with many of the requirements beyond FFII mentioned by several of the posters as they are only taught, by and large, during the day M-F.

Certainly not reasonably obtainable by volunteer members.

There is no point in requiring what is not reasonable to obtain.

That being said, it is certainly possible to take that material and teach it on a department level nights and weekends as a required non-certification department-level course for promotion. It would even be possible for a department to require that members interested in promotion take a non-certification department-administered test on the material.
              Last edited by LaFireEducator; 09-01-2010, 07:00 PM.
              Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

national fire academy classes

college hours
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by Big13House View Post

Thanks
                  My volunteer department is pretty in depth, sometimes I think the training requirements out do my career deoartment, We have the following requirements (which include the three levels of firefighters):

Firefighter Recruit:
                  1st year in department, Must obtain NJ FF Level 1 certificate as well as EMS First Responder cert.

Stage 2 Firefighter:
                  Must be accomplished by year 5 in the department, Must obtain NJ state FF Level 2, must obtain NJ State EMT-B, Must obtain certification in Vehicle Extrication Technician program, Haz-Mat Ops Cert, Also must posses NJ ICS Level 1 cert as well as a F.A.S.T operations certificate. It is not mandated by department to move beyond this point.

Advanced Firefighter:
                  Meet standards for stage II firefighter, also possess a Driver/Operator certificate, an Advance Extrication technician certificate, Haz-Mat Tech Cert., an EVOC cert, ICS 300 cert

Lieutenant:
                  Meet standards for advanced FF and have an minimum of 6 years in department, Fire Officer Level 1, Fire Instructor Level 1

Captain:
                  Meet standards for Lieutenant and served in that position a minimum of 3 years, Fire Instructor Level II (captain doubles as our training officer)

Asst. Chief:
                  Meet standards for captain and served in that position a minimum of 3 years, Fire Officer level 2, ICS-400

Fire Chief:
                  Meet standards for asst. chief and served as such for a minimum of 3 years, Commanding the specialized incident course cert, Introduction to chiefs position course, budgets financing and department administratin intro course.

This is a 100% volunteer department running approx. 1200 fire runs per year, and 350 EMS assist runs per year.

Comment

This varies greatly with dept. size and training availability.

If we have an opening we simply promote the most qualified and capeable person. All of our officers are at least FF1\first responders but that isn't a requirement. I'm sure some of our officers (myself included) wouldn't qualify for firefighter status at some departments without further training.

Being a small volly dept (25 members, 150 calls\year total) we make due with what we got.
                    Last edited by Blulakr; 10-23-2010, 01:21 AM.
                    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

We are on the cusp of administrative changes in our department. Currently, we somewhat mirror Blulakr's department. Many of our senior most officers have been in thier positions for 18+ years and thier training level reflects the old Indiana Class II/ Class I system. The prevailing thought seems to be to move forward with a system simular to the one outlined by Tower with a few modifications on the years of service stuff.

Just keep in mind the fact that your system that is adopted should reflect your needs for the future and not be solely based on the operational habits of the past. The fire service is a dynamic beast. It grows, it expands its responsibilities, and in some regions of the country, it contracts and shrivels. Be stringent if you can. But be mindful of the political and economic impact of your decisions.

The point, if you are a Vollie organization and it is an unreasonable burden to advance within a department, then people wont advance. Volunteerism is on the decline in some areas of the nation. At a time when the need to be better prepared is central to success, fewer and fewer individuals are willing to throw a hat in and take the plunge.
                      A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Comment

Umm......

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                        Did you get hit by the shot???

Not Even Close......................
                        In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X