Public Safety presentation, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Safety presentation, need some advice

As like most of us who are volunteers I have a "main job." I work as an engineer for one of the big 3 and my new boss was told I'm a vollie. She wants to know if I'd be interested in doing a presentatation for how you can keep yourself safe in an office enviroment for our department. I said sure, but I'm wondering what to talk about. I don't want to turn this into a CPR class, which I couldn't teach anyway; but I'd like to do how to do a heimlich maneuver on yourself. Signs/Symptoms of Stroke, Heart Attack, basic office evacuation (ie stay low)

Have any of y'all done a presentation like this or have any ideas?

Take a look around the office and see how many ways one can hurt themselves...

Slips, trips, falls, lifting, burns for injuries. Best practice violations like daisy chained outlet strips are always a winner. You could spend a week just on ergonomics.

Awareness of available safety devices - fire extinguishers and AED's, f'rinstance. You can go over the basics of their use without teaching CPR or FF1 - but you can also suggest that folks take a CPR course from a recognized source.

Awareness of surroundings - particularly for those who travel. Knowing how to best exit from hotels, conference centers, etc can be a life saver.

Knowing how to summon help. Different facilities/companies have different methods. You might be required to notify an internal safety team (who will then summon outside help) instead of dialing 9-1-1 directly.

Google 'workplace injuries', or even 'clerical workplace injuries.' I did and a quick glance provided some promising information.

Last (and probably should have been first) - check with your safety director and see if they've already established some sort of training. Might save you re-inventing the wheel.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Thank you for the tips

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...