Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama POV

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alabama POV

    Does anyone know if volunteer firefighters are allowed to run any kind of emergency lights to a scene or to the station? If not has anyone pushed for it. Alot of departments in other states allow it, why does alabama always have to be last? Alot of states let firefighters and ems run Green lights. Texas the volunteers run red, white, BLUE, and amber. They are also allowed to run a siren POV. I would just like to run a simple green lights to get me to the station a little bit quicker.

  • #2
    Go to the Volunteer Forum section and see the answer there.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

    Comment


    • #3
      I cannot believe he went there....

      Comment


      • #4
        Not legal in Alabama to run anything on POV besides your four-way flashers (hazard lights).

        Comment


        • #5
          Ask your chief
          ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
            Ask your chief
            End of thread.
            Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why is this always the first question???

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish I had a better memory, so I could properly quote the author. Or the time this evening to find the original post, so I could quote him word for word (or her, as the case may be). But, someone on here said (loosely):

                If you live in a dense area, where traffic is slowing your response to the station, you likely have lots of traffic lights, stop signs, etc. Having lights on your POV does not allow you to break any traffic laws, nor does it require anyone to yield to you. So, it will not allow you to get there any quicker, because you still have to stop at the red lights and stop signs, and no one has to get out of your way.

                If you live in a sparsely populated area, then having a light or siren on your POV will be seen by no one, and since it doesn't allow you to break any traffic laws, you are still constrained by the speed limit, and will get there in the same amount of time.

                If you are worried about your vehicle being hit at a scene due to not having lights on it, you have worse problems than not having lights - if traffic hitting a parked vehicle is that likely to occur, then traffic control is not being setup properly or you are parking in a poorly chosen location.

                Good luck,
                Grecko

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by grecko.1 View Post

                  If you live in a dense area, where traffic is slowing your response to the station, you likely have lots of traffic lights, stop signs, etc. Having lights on your POV does not allow you to break any traffic laws, nor does it require anyone to yield to you. So, it will not allow you to get there any quicker, because you still have to stop at the red lights and stop signs, and no one has to get out of your way.
                  I live in a dense area, traffic sometimes does slow my response to the station. Lights do not allow me to break traffic laws BUT it DOES require people to yield to me. Welcome to the State of NJ. If you see red or blue or a combination of both you must yield to that vehicle. It is the LAW.

                  Honestly I don't use it every call but it annoys me when people make false statements.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by doc13mets View Post
                    I live in a dense area, traffic sometimes does slow my response to the station. Lights do not allow me to break traffic laws BUT it DOES require people to yield to me. Welcome to the State of NJ. If you see red or blue or a combination of both you must yield to that vehicle. It is the LAW.

                    Honestly I don't use it every call but it annoys me when people make false statements.
                    That's you; and NJ. Lights aren't legal in AL unless your POV has been designated an Autorized Emergency Vehicle by (if I recall correctly) the Chief of Police or Director of Public Safety. What happens in NJ doesn't affect how things are run here. The only light you may could get away with running is amber, which in AL is the same color used by wreckers, DOT, farm equipment, and construction. Good luck getting someone to yield right-of-way to you when they believe you're going to slow them down by being some type of slow-moving hazard.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      JumboFriendly is 100% correct. Only the Director of Public Safety (that's the head of the state troopers) or your local police chief can designate your vehicle as an authorized emergency vehicle.

                      Without that designation, you cannot legally use emergency lighting or sirens. You will see many Alabama vollies openly flaunt the law. They're opening themselves up to tickets and potential civil litigation. Don't let the desire to look cool overwhelm good sense.

                      Finally, DON'T EVER put a blue light in your vehicle. In Alabama, those are reserved for law enforcement. Operating a blue light will guarantee you a ticket and place you at risk of arrest for impersonating an officer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JumboFriendly View Post
                        That's you; and NJ. Lights aren't legal in AL unless your POV has been designated an Autorized Emergency Vehicle by (if I recall correctly) the Chief of Police or Director of Public Safety. What happens in NJ doesn't affect how things are run here. The only light you may could get away with running is amber, which in AL is the same color used by wreckers, DOT, farm equipment, and construction. Good luck getting someone to yield right-of-way to you when they believe you're going to slow them down by being some type of slow-moving hazard.
                        I was responding to Greko who was making a more generalized statement. Didn't think he was talking about AL at all since you can't even run lights there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JumboFriendly View Post
                          What happens in NJ doesn't affect how things are run here.
                          Yea, well it should!
                          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                          "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                          "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Texas firefighter here.. and yes it is very nice having all of those privileges!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yes FF21... It is nice to have those privileges here in Arkansas also. And what is interesting at my current department we have only had one accident. That was the big red truck that everyone runs code to go get.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X