Just signed up for EMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed up for EMT

Been thinking about going to school for EMT for a while. Found out a couple of other firefighters from my department are going this fall, and I was able to get signed up and registered. I start EMT-B Monday along with BIO 103 for EMT-P prereq. Nervous, but excited!

With the right instructor it is a lot of fun. Enjoy and good luck.

Comment

I agree with Acklan. I loved EMT school. If you enjoy talking with people and interacting with them when they are hurt or sick, then you'll love EMT. Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions!!

Have fun,
      Pete

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I used to be a driver back years ago (volunteer system), but never went through EMT or anything. Now the volley trucks are all but shut down. I don't really have a desire to work for a private company, but love to help and learn, so I think this will be good for me. I'm sure I'll be back on here asking LOTS of questions!

Comment

We look forward to hearing about your progress.

Comment

Dont know how it is there but in NY its pretty easy. NY practical 2 stations are CPR related so they are asy. 1 station is spinal immobilazation you get either KED or Long Board. Just remember on those check your PMS and c spine stabilization before and after everything you do to your pt. 1 station is random skills O2 , splinting, bleeding and shock. 2 big stations are trauma and medical assesment. Memorize those till they flow off your tounge, then plug the scenarios in. Remember to look at your pt. and physically do the skill while verbalizing every single minute detail. I got perfect scores on medical and trauma.
            I was about to start my Paramedic course when based on advice from 35 or 40 medics unrelated to each other I decided to change schools. So its 12 month wait for P school except I have the books and will know the drug math and pharmacology inside and out before schools starts.
            Good luck to you.

Comment

First and second tests were 97 and 96. So far, so good.

Comment

That is great. How are your instructors? Sounds like they are conveying the material effectively.

Comment

I like my instructor very much. She has a lot of experience in the field and enjoys teaching. She's made it clear that her goal is not for us to only pass her class - registry is the main goal. I'm trying to study a lot and read ahead, but it's getting difficult with life being so busy. Having fun so far, though!

Comment

Good for you. Hang tought, the class will be over soon enough.

Comment

hey man just got done with my EMT-B class.. was a crammed course, took 3 months M,W,F 7-1130 and Sunday 9-6

but let me tell you it was worth it... learned a lot, instructors were great and I had a lot of fun! good luck and work hard!

Comment

Congratulations FDEMS911. Welcome to the flock.

Comment

My course was a rapid 5 weeks. Taught mostly by N.Y.C. medics in a teaching hospital and medical school. We had to do a min. of three tours in NYC for ambulance time. We had the text book author who was one of the first New York City medics give us three lectures, cardiac, respitory and medical. It was one of the most organized and well run classes I ever took.

Comment

Sounds like an outstanding program.

Comment

When I took my EMT it was 120 hours plus 10 hours hands on time. Biggest pointers I have is dont listen to vets on patient treament or answer test questions based on your SOP's. Its not that they are wrong its that the test might be looking for a diffrent answer. Now when your done and passed forget what you learned and have your ambulance officers reteach you.

Sounds dumb but the truck you work on SOP's and Bylaws might differ a bit. Just remember some careers the title rookie lasts longer than a year. On my dept its about 3 believe it or not.

I am the Ambulance Chief of my dept, so Im not blowing smoke, just trying to share what Ive seen work over the years. For now just looks for the answers in the book not with your futrure crew, again its not at all that they are wrong its that the answers might differ enuf to make you second guess the right one.

Good luck! REMEMBER PPE

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X