average per fire call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• average per fire call

What is the average amount of people you have responding to actual fire calls compared to how many you have on your dept.. The reason why I ask is because we currently have 21 members on our dept. and we.are only averaging 5 per fire. That is only our dept. and does not include mutual aid.

As I am sure is true everywhere, for us it depends entirely on the time of day.

At 10:00 AM on a weekday, we might only get 5-6 of our 21 members. At 7:00 PM, we might get 15-17.

Comment

How many people show up depends on the time of day, and how "good" the call sounds. I don't really have the statistics, but I would guess that we follow the 20/80 rule, 20% of the poeple do 80% of the work. I would guess that about 20% of the members are really active in running calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
        How many people show up depends on the time of day, and how "good" the call sounds. I don't really have the statistics, but I would guess that we follow the 20/80 rule, 20% of the people do 80% of the work. I would guess that about 20% of the members are really active in running calls.
        What he said.

Initial response for even a reported structure fire may not be all that good until the size-up indicates a worker.

Time of day is a huge factor around here. I was the only one on the engine (or that responded at all) for a mid-day mutual aid worker not long ago. Fortunately the home department got an excellent hit and no additional help was needed.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eng34FF View Post
          How many people show up depends on the time of day, and how "good" the call sounds. I don't really have the statistics, but I would guess that we follow the 20/80 rule, 20% of the poeple do 80% of the work. I would guess that about 20% of the members are really active in running calls.
          Definitely agree.

At our Dept. we obviously have larger responses at night then our daytime responses. This is usually caused by full members that are working ect. During the day we can get approx. 4-6 per call (this varies), while during the night we probably can get >double then that. A good idea (and i'm not sure whether of not you already do this) is to have what many dept. call a "Juniors Program" or an "Explorers Program". Basically high schoolers interested in the work that are 16 or older. I guess the age depends on your state and laws, but these members can be relatively useful. They definitely increase the response for the "less exciting calls" ex. CO alarms and whatnot. In some states they can get FF I, but even if they don't they help get supplies and act as beneficial aids to the crew.

We are pretty lucky to have members with relaxed employers and if we send out multiple tones/get a working fire we can get a full response probably 18-20 within a little bit of time. EMS can be a little different....

Comment

We have 46 members, daylight usually pulls in 6-8, sometimes more if its serious enough. Night can vary depending on the severity, but on something 'serious' we can roll out 3 trucks easy with members left over (we have 2 engines, tower, rescue, and a squad). 4th of July weekend though, Only myself and 2 others responded for a CO call, Im sure you can guess why. I wish people would take into account that some of us need to stay sober instead of the whole dept being tanked

Comment

We of course have the same issues.

A few weeks ago we had our quarterly dinner. It's a regular business meeting but we serve the vol's a steak dinner. Nearly everyone (20+) showed up for the dinner.

3 hours later we get a routine medical call and 4 people showed up.

If we send an apparatus out of district for mutual aid we ask our volunteers to at least call the station to let us know how many are in town and able to respond to additional calls.
              My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Comment

Our department has 19 members 2 of them being in our junior program. During the day, depending on the call we get anywhere from 4 to 8. At night we average 6 to 15. We have a few members that are inactive for calls. They'll attend trainings and meetings, but not calls...don't understand but oh well. We have a good mutual aid response which helps in fully involved structure fires.

Comment

A real structure fire will probably draw 20-25 during the day time, and probably ~45 at night. We have 80 or so "active" members but many are older retired folks that are not going to go interior. We have a few paid "station administrators" during the day and we typically roll 2 engines on every day time call.

Department demographics: Suburban, 2 stations, 4 engines, 2 ladders, rescue, 2 squads, population of 30k, ~30 sq miles of mixed residential, commercial, and agriculture.

Comment

Combo department with 3 full-time personnel and 1 part-time position during the day, and 1 full-timr member at night.

We average 26 members per structure fire. That works out to about 17 (14 volunteers) daytime and about 30 (29 volunteers) nights and weekends.

Response for brush fires, technical rescues and major MVAs are about the same. Minor fires like trash and pole get about 50% of that response.

We currently have a roster of about 80 members which includes 10 dispatchers, 14 support members and 6 juniors.

We operate from 6 stations with a 7th we staff with a volunteer response and manage under contract at a National Guard facility. We cover about 160 square miles plus another 24 under contract. We run about 1600 calls per year with 85% being medical first response.
                    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-03-2010, 01:22 PM.
                    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by NewHampshireFF View Post
                      As I am sure is true everywhere, for us it depends entirely on the time of day.

At 10:00 AM on a weekday, we might only get 5-6 of our 21 members. At 7:00 PM, we might get 15-17.
                      Very similar to us. We have 35 technically on the roles. During the day 8 is a good response to a fire. After work, 17+ is normal.

Comment

Hmmm............

Our system is a little different, since We don't have any home response to speak of. Call Volume, Traffic Patterns, Distance from Homes to Stations, among other factors pretty much killed home Response around here a long time ago. We maintain a Crew of 6 at the station (2 for the Ambulance, others go on whatever else is needed) almost all the time, and quite often we have additional Crews so that multiple units are staffed. We are required to, and do, get out the door in one Minute or less all the time.......
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                          Our system is a little different, since We don't have any home response to speak of. Call Volume, Traffic Patterns, Distance from Homes to Stations, among other factors pretty much killed home Response around here a long time ago. We maintain a Crew of 6 at the station (2 for the Ambulance, others go on whatever else is needed) almost all the time, and quite often we have additional Crews so that multiple units are staffed. We are required to, and do, get out the door in one Minute or less all the time.......
                          So does anyone respond from home, either to the scene for additional staffing or to the stations to backfill additional apparatus for 2nd alarm response or response to other runs?

How about Chief officers?
                          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

We have somewhere around 60 or so total members between 3 stations and depending on the time of day it varies...routine incidents during the day can bring around 10-15 and "cool calls" usually bring in 30 or so. There has only been a few occasions where almost all members showed up for a call. A large number of our members also work full-time on other departments.

Comment

Well.........

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                              So does anyone respond from home, either to the scene for additional staffing or to the stations to backfill additional apparatus for 2nd alarm response or response to other runs?

How about Chief officers?
                              Yes. Sort of. Kinda........ If it's a Working Fire or something that will keep a piece out for a while, some folks will show up for additional staffing. Only a couple are able to show up at a Fire and go to work, most need to go to the Station, since almost all members keep their gear at the Station anyway. Our system here in the Mid Atlantic's Urban areas is such that People have to be in the Station. Maryland does not permit any lights or Sirens, except for Chief Officers, and Traffic is such that you're not going anywhere quick anyway. Each Chief (3) has a Marked Vehicle Assigned to him/her (I had the Last unmarked, a Crown Vic that I wore out) and they keep the vehicle at home, etc. so they do respond directly to the Call, regardless of where they are...
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X