Flood Watch - Deathflood 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood Watch - Deathflood 2010

So that big rain we got in the Midwest really made things crazy at my department. We're located right off the Rock River, and man did that s.o.b flood! We had a levee break and most the town was under water. I spent 2 nights and 3 days out there, talk about interesting and exhausting.

At least half of our members were there day and night, along with part of another department with a boat to help us out. At one point we had 7 people trying to sleep on cots in a 10 x 14 room. We had to do hourly checks of the dike that runs around part of the town to check for boils/breakage.

So this was my first real experience with the fire department. Entirely too many people in too small of a building without air conditioning. But, we had plenty of food and fluids, and we actually had quite a bit of fun. No too serious calls the whole 3 days, just voluntary evacuations 2 or 3 times.

Standing on the dike assessing the water level. The Rock River usually sits behind the far back trees, this is normally a field.

This is a bean field submersed in somewhere between 5-8ft of water. We pushed the boat right of the side of the road.

So, you were there for 72 hours, and all you did was 3 voluntary removals?
    FF/Paramedic

Comment

Yeah, and only 2 people left I think, no one else would go. There were a few other calls that I missed, but nothing major. It was the lack of sleep that got me. Then when it rained yesterday, the damn river started going back up.

Comment

A couple of responses over three days after a major flood. What did you do in your spare time, the other 68 hours?

I don't mean to be flippant, but it sounds like a bullet was dodged and your responding troop numbers were way out of whack. I would have pulled down what wasn't needed as soon as possible.

By the way... great pictures.
        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Oh wow. You say that's a river? If you truly wanted to make lemons out of lemonade you would have put a ski boat in there. It almost looks like the "former" Lake Delhi

Comment

Well we were unsure as to how bad it would get. We were pretty worried about that dike giving way, and if it had we wouldve had a floating trailer park on our hands. Oh, and our station wouldve officially been located on an island for awhile. We had teams lined up for all situations, fire, water rescue, ems, evacuation, information (checking the dike, and another road about 20 minutes out that still had people in houses.) So, say 2-4 people per unit, plus extras to rotate when some needed their 4 hour nap. Plus our IC and OPs leaders. We had to wait for the river to drop to 16.5 before we could stop the watch. On the plus side, it helped me learn a lot about how NIMS works.

Comment

I'm a little confused. You've entitled this thread "Death Flood 2010", yet nothing happened, nobody hurt, and you slept.
              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Now, '93 flood was a real MF (Mike Foxtrot) flood.

you begin to discover how many entities depend on the VFD. State, Federal, military, Red Cross, county, local, civilian, business and even news agencies.

Some members just gave up at times. Bad memories and we didn't have it near as bad as others.

Even desperate collections for toys. Toys. That is getting desperate friends.
                Last edited by jam24u; 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire View Post
                  I'm a little confused. You've entitled this thread "Death Flood 2010", yet nothing happened, nobody hurt, and you slept.
                  Thats what got me. He made it sound like they did a bunch of rescues and recoveries.
                  FF/Paramedic

Comment

Originally posted by jam24u View Post
                    Now, '93 flood was a real MF (Mike Foxtrot) flood.

you begin to discover how many entities depend on the VFD. State, Federal, military, Red Cross, county, local, civilian, business and even news agencies.
                    We found out the same thing during the Ice Storm here in '98. Fire & EMS came from all over the state to help us out, and we needed it. There weren't a lot of deaths, etc (although there were a few), but with no power for upwards of 10 days (longer for some), a lot of things you take for granted suddenly became crises.
                    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I'm a she, for one thing. And for two, that's just what they call it whenever it floods out there. It was fun, I just wanted to share my experience. Sorry if I made it sound like some big hoorah, I was just overly excited since it was my first real big event at the station. I'm a probie, cut me some slack On a more exciting note, wednesday we're testing out our new extrication equipment, and saturday I get to go to a water rescue training.
                      Last edited by rabbitBFPD; 08-02-2010, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Show 'em up kid...
                        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse