chief's buddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chief's buddy

does any dept have an individual that is the chief's buddy , the guy that can do no wrong, drives the chief around, does nothing at drills as long as the chief is there. then watches over everyone ( even though he is not an officer ) and reports back to the chief. What have you done to combat this? any suggestions

Look, Moe and Larry have been friends a good long time. Poor Curly always pays the price, but what can you do??

Seriously, vote the bum out.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Probably every department has one to some degree.

The ideal way is to get the subject voted out, if they are obnoxiously arrogant about all you describe.

My way of dealing with this type of individual is to not feed into his/her way of doing the job. On drill night, I pay attention, do my share (and often other's) and participate as required. At calls, I stick to the tasks assigned to me. I don't push any issues, just simply work my best and follow the rules.

This type does one of two things, they either give up on you because they consider you "boring", or they start making things up to discredit you. If you're beyond reproach, you have no fear as the other members of the department will stand by your side when questioned for these malicious and false accusations.

Definately avoid putting down the chief's "pet" in front of the chief, or anyone else for that matter. Be the better person. This type eventually screws up and shows their real colors.

Comment

This guy is the first cousin of the "opinion leader." Some opinion leaders have earned their position and people look to them because they are a recognized authority.

Others have simply earned the allegiance of a block of followers and thrive on their position as king of the hill. They may be friends of the chief or a real burr under their saddle.

We've got one who acts like he's the king of the fire department - if he deigns to attend a meeting, it's almost as if he's holding court. And he does play the false/spurious accusation card from time to time (spurious - true, but insignificant in the overall view of things yet brought up like it was a capital crime).

The problem with this type is they often have just a large enough bloc of supporters that any effort to throw them out of the department may well end up with you being shown the door.

As WB says - just do your thing and don't let them suck you in.
        Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Is his nose brown?
          HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
            Is his nose brown?
            We have one that is brown to his chest!!! Gets into his work I guess
            Get the first line into operation.

Comment

Well.........

We had one of those...... Once....... As far as I know, they haven't found the Body yet...............
              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
              In memory of
              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                We had one of those...... Once....... As far as I know, they haven't found the Body yet...............
                As our last one found out, the Pine Barrans never gives up its dead
                Matt G.
                Battalion Chief
                IACOJ-Member
                FTM-PTB

Comment

This problem occurs nation-wide. Over the years ive come to find out that: if something offends you, then its probably true.. ive also learned that people point out other's fault so nobody will point out theirs (the ol slight of eye) look at their messed up face so you cant see mine. .lol

Comment

I have found that this sort of thing comes and goes in a "trend"....giving it a month or so the chief will have found a new pet. And if you listen to WBFD25....whos knows you may be the next "pet"...lol
                    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
                    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Comment

We bought ours a sticker for his helmet that says "Chief's Bitch". When we gave it to him even the Chief laughed.
                      Stay Safe
                      Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                      - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                      -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

We have a chief's buddy in our Department, little whine *** drives me up a wall. In the last three years he's failed his EMT-B course 4 times, just failed the Advanced pump course because he didn't show up for half the classes. Rarely if ever shows up for trainings, and when he does likes to pretend he knows it all and has seen it all.

The only reason he hasn't gotten fired is because he's so far up the chiefs ***, when the boss went out for his prostate exam the doctor thought he had a tumor.
                        Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                          We have a chief's buddy in our Department, little whine *** drives me up a wall. In the last three years he's failed his EMT-B course 4 times, just failed the Advanced pump course because he didn't show up for half the classes. Rarely if ever shows up for trainings, and when he does likes to pretend he knows it all and has seen it all.

The only reason he hasn't gotten fired is because he's so far up the chiefs ***, when the boss went out for his prostate exam the doctor thought he had a tumor.
                          Take the little 3itch outside and hose him down every chance you get.
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                            Take the little 3itch outside and hose him down every chance you get.
                            Oh sometimes I wish I could, help get out some of those frustrations. But honestly after going on for as long as it has. We all have just kinda learned to ignor him the best we can.
                            Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post

Take the Chief, and his little man whore outside. Bitch Slap the chief across the face hard. Then look at the man whore, and say "That's to show YOU who's boss."
                              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X