Blue Lights for Vol. Responders - Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Lights for Vol. Responders - Recommendations

So I live in a moderate sized town , with dense traffic in areas and I'm a member of the vol . Rescue Squad. I'm going to get blue lights for my response, because the route to my squad has incredibly slow drivers (>5mph under). It's not an issue of stop signs or yields or crap like that which that makes my response long. Its 1 single traffic light perpendicular to a major highway that can last between 3-5 mins (it operates on a sensor). i know i couldn't go through it with blues. Also the problem is where i live there are some insanely slow and jerkoff drivers (i've had a motorcyclist doing tricks infront of me doing 10ish mph under the limit).

First And Foremost - I am NOT looking to speed, break laws, or pose hazards to other drivers by any way i drive if I had a blue light.

I'm a certified EMT and I run calls at night and at times during the day/weekends. I'm looking to get blue lights for my SUV, preferably just 1 unit. So guy/girls, I'm looking for recommendations. MY #1 and 2 choices right now are the Welen Slimlighter Ultra and the Soundoff Ultralite 4 Module. Any input on backflashing, brightness at day/night? other ideas?

Price range = around $200

http://www.sirennet.com/soel3h04a0.html
    http://www.sirennet.com/whelslimmver.html

I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Scorpio; 08-07-2010, 12:59 AM.

Originally posted by Scorpio View Post
    So I live in a moderate sized town in New Jersey, with dense traffic in areas and I'm a member of the joint vol. FD/Rescue Squad. I'm going to get blue lights for my response, because the route to my squad has incredibly slow drivers (>5mph under).You can't pass them..... It's not an issue of stop signs or yields or crap like that which that makes my response long. ok, and.....???? Its 1 single traffic light perpendicular to a major highway that can last between 3-5 mins (it operates on a sensor). i know i couldn't go through it with blues. Then what are you worried about????? Also the problem is where i live there are some insanely slow and jerkoff drivers (i've had a motorcyclist doing tricks infront of me doing 10ish mph under the limit). You can't pass them......

First And Foremost - I am NOT looking to speed, break laws, or pose hazards to other drivers by any way i drive if I had a blue light. Then why waste your money on one????

I'm a certified EMT and I run calls at night and at times during the day/weekends. I'm looking to get blue lights for my SUV, preferably just 1 unit. So guy/girls, I'm looking for recommendations. MY #1 and 2 choices right now are the Welen Slimlighter Ultra and the Soundoff Ultralite 4 Module. Any input on backflashing, brightness at day/night? other ideas?

I appreciate your help.
    You have already acknowledged that blue lights give you no authority whatsoever to break any traffic laws. You have explained pretty clearly the obstacles that you face, and it appears that there is no way over, through, or around them.....So my question back to you is....

Why waste your money on something that could not help you at all??? That could do more harm than good, could get you in trouble with your auto liability insurance provider, and if permanently fixed/installed in the vehicle could void the manufacturer's warranty? Why not just go with no lights at all????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I love how attacking all you guys are on this, such an necessarily touchy topic. and to answer you, in NJ blue lighters are considered emergency vehicles and motorists must yield to them. In my town, motorists are relatively responsive to the lights, and the lights assists other members, that i know of, responses. I need to move traffic quickly and effectively so I can get to where I'm going.

Comment

check out elightbars.org. Register and read through the for sale section. Tons of cheaper lights that will work for you.

Comment

I love how attacking all you guys are on this, such an necessarily touchy topic. and to answer you, in NJ blue lighters are considered emergency vehicles and motorists must yield to them. In my town, motorists are relatively responsive to the lights, and the lights assists other members, that i know of, responses. I need to move traffic quickly and effectively so I can get to where I'm going.
          Pal, I live in the gardenless state and have been running fire and ems for over 30 years, Unless you drive like Joey Chitwood you dont need what the cops around here call twinkle,twinkle, hero lights.

Comment

Wait, I'm not clear on something. Blue lights in NJ don't allow you to go through a red signal but they are emergency lighting that other drivers must yield to? Am I understanding that correctly?

Go ahead and get the lights if you want but don't be all that surprised when (not if) they don't help all that much.

The only time I ever use mine is when approaching a Fire Police road block to get to a scene, its on for about 3 seconds. And I think I've used it twice this year. My point is, don't spend a lot. I bought the cheapest one Galls had and it's literally more than I need. Of course, in NYS blue is a courtesy light (except of course when its on a police car )

Good luck!

And BTW, if you don't understand why this is such a touchy issue pay more attention to the number of LODD concerning volunteers responding POV.

Comment

exactlly right!!

Comment

Who was attacking? You posted some concerns, to which I responded with some very valid counter-points, in a non-attacking manner.

Comment

...and to answer you, in NJ blue lighters are considered emergency vehicles and motorists must yield to them...
                  and to correct you...in NJ Blue Lighters are NOT considered emergency vehicles. Motorists do NOT have to yield to them.

In NJ, blue lights are COURTESY lights. Drivers can choose to yield to them. Don't listen to the people that have them...read the actual state laws.
                  "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

I think you're going to find that a blue light isn't going to help your response time very much. As you said, you cannot go through stop-lights and it sounds like you have to cross a major intersection at one.. so there is 3-5 minutes you'll be sitting still regardless of other motorists.

The blue light _may_ help is getting the attention of other motorists so that they pull over and yield.. Then again it may not. When I had a blue light on my truck people pulled over for me roughly half the time.

Either way, even if people yield for you it probably won't make up the time you loose sitting at the light.

If you get a blue light, I wouldn't go nuts. Find one on E-bay used or borrow one from someone in your department. Make sure it actually makes a difference.

Always remember that having a blue light is a privilege and a responsibility. Don't speed. Don't tailgate. Don't run stopsigns/lights. Basically, don't be that guy.
                    So you call this your free country
                    Tell me why it costs so much to live
                    -3dd

Comment

Recommendation? Don't get one.
                      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                      sigpic
                      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

So, typically, the usual suspects chime in with attacks rather than answering the question.

The OP didn't ask, "Should I get lights?" He asked for recomendations for specific lights from people who had used them.

If someone asks you chuckleheads who makes the best pizza in town, do you try to convince him that there is no need for pizza, and he should either get Chinese or just go hungy?

If you don't have anything to say about the lights the OP is asking about, just muzzle it.

Comment

Originally posted by NewHampshireFF View Post
                          So, typically, the usual suspects chime in with attacks rather than answering the question.
                          I just re-read the thread. I don't see one single attack. Paranoid, much?

If you don't have anything to say about the lights the OP is asking about, just muzzle it.
                          He asked for recommendations. He got them. If you don't like them, you might want to consider "muzzling it" yourself.
                          "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                          sigpic
                          The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by NewHampshireFF View Post

The OP didn't ask, "Should I get lights?" He asked for recomendations for specific lights from people who had used them.

If someone asks you chuckleheads who makes the best pizza in town, do you try to convince him that there is no need for pizza, and he should either get Chinese or just go hungy?

I don't know about New Hampshire, but in Pa and NJ, do you have any idea how many accidents there have been recently (including a fatal) that were directly or indirectly caused by a blue-light degenerate? So when the public sees one, they see them all, and react accordingly- "Oh those fracking idiots."

It has been proven time and time again that courtesy lights afford no advantage when responding. Besides, 3/4ths of the time anyone with blue lights are just trying to compensate for small wee-wee's. And Pizza is bad for you. Eat vegetables and fruit. Have a salad.

Comment

So I live in a moderate sized town in New Jersey, with dense traffic in areas and I'm a member of the joint vol. FD/Rescue Squad. I'm going to get blue lights for my response, because the route to my squad has incredibly slow drivers (>5mph under). It's not an issue of stop signs or yields or crap like that which that makes my response long. Its 1 single traffic light perpendicular to a major highway that can last between 3-5 mins (it operates on a sensor). i know i couldn't go through it with blues. Also the problem is where i live there are some insanely slow and jerkoff drivers (i've had a motorcyclist doing tricks infront of me doing 10ish mph under the limit).

First And Foremost - I am NOT looking to speed, break laws, or pose hazards to other drivers by any way i drive if I had a blue light.

I appreciate your help.

You are right as rain. You need to buy you a good one and put it on top of your POV!

Don't wait, get one today!

Check this out:

http://ledoutfitters.com/index.php

27" Saber Linear Mini LightBar

List price: $509.99
                              Our price: $389.99
                              You save: $120.00 (24%)

:
                              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)