Ground Ladder Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Ladder Testing

Greetings - we are looking to put together an in house ladder testing program as required by NFPA 1932. We are trying to start complying more closely with the NFPA rules and requirements.

Wondering if anyone has done ladder testing in house and if so what are your suggestiongs, tips, and anything else you have to add.

Also what do you use for your "load" to test with? Sandbags, blocks, etc... any help would be appreciated!!

THANKS

Have an outside agency do this and get a certificaton from them on each ground ladder.

They will not be bias, if a ladder passes, it passes, if not it fails.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

CaptOldTimer is right on the money. Contract a reputable outside testing agency. You'll be much better off.
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

I also agree with Capt. They stretch the ladder out, hang weights in the middle. If it holds up, it passes. The thing is, I'm not certain what the weight or time is. I would get an agency to do it for you like was said above.

Comment

We are looking to do it in house.....NFPA 1932 clearly defines how to do it and what all needs to be done....its quite simple if you know how to break down NFPA stuff. Time limit is 1 minute pre load and 5 minutes full load 500 lbs for streched out ladder and 1000lbs for roof hook test and extention ladder hardware test. We are trying to save money on the process and we have never had our ladders service tested -

ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE DOING THEM YOURSELVES?? Looking to find out what you use for the load (sadnbags, blocks, free weights, etc) and any other insight you may have

THANKS

Comment

Originally posted by kcop View Post
            ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE DOING THEM YOURSELVES?? Looking to find out what you use for the load (sadnbags, blocks, free weights, etc) and any other insight you may have
            We do all of ours in-house and have for many years. We use a hydraulic engine lift to lower and raise a water-filled steel box onto the ladders for the non-destructive testing. This is done by one of the neighboring stations, let me see if I can get some photos and/or information for you.
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by kcop View Post
              We are looking to do it in house.....NFPA 1932 clearly defines how to do it and what all needs to be done....its quite simple if you know how to break down NFPA stuff. Time limit is 1 minute pre load and 5 minutes full load 500 lbs for streched out ladder and 1000lbs for roof hook test and extention ladder hardware test. We are trying to save money on the process and we have never had our ladders service tested -

THANKS
              I'm no expert, but the crew that came to do ours used universal free weights. I think the more dense the material, the better, plus it's obvious what the weight is, it's usually stamped on the weight. Where as a bag of sand can become a little imperfect. I guess a solid set of saw horses would also help and give you enough height with the longer ladder spans.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X