Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1A2TankGunner
    replied
    Indeed, my bad. I'll keep my posts on topic.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by M1A2TankGunner View Post
    no family problems here, I was venting about something, I wasn't aware that things in here were so serious, granted, I'm not "in the group" or amung you all, but i figured I could converse about things with like minded adults. I'm sorry.
    No problem pal, but somethings are best not mentioned except to those you know.

Hope you get a job somewhere, someday.

Leave a comment:

• M1A2TankGunner
    replied
    no family problems here, I was venting about something, I wasn't aware that things in here were so serious, granted, I'm not "in the group" or amung you all, but i figured I could converse about things with like minded adults. I'm sorry.

Leave a comment:

• natedog54
    replied
    Im aware of all that, unlike in the army, driver isn't a entry level position, but It would be my goal, and if I tell my wife that i won't go into fires..then its all good. Its not a lie if you bend the truth.
    Until you get seriously injured (God forbid) in a structure fire, then it won't be "all good"...

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    now im stuck in a rut..I cant get the house because of judgements on my credit from my mothers house..and a family from queens bought our apt building and i seriously doubt that they will renew our lease come november..so I kind of just want to quit with the station im trying to join because chances are we might not even live anywhere near there once our lease is up...i dont know..I was sooooo uber motivated too. Oh well

Sorry bout the grammar..just not too motivated right now.

You don't think this will have a big effect on you being hired by a fire
    department? Most departments check your background which includes your credit report and other histories.

Plus you really don't need to keep posting your family problems in here.

Leave a comment:

• M1A2TankGunner
    replied
    Im aware of all that, unlike in the army, driver isn't a entry level position, but It would be my goal, and if I tell my wife that i won't go into fires..then its all good. Its not a lie if you bend the truth.

Leave a comment:

• thomas15
    replied
    Originally posted by natedog54 View Post
    ...My first fire department I was with where I grew up, you could not drive the trucks or operate the pumps until you had been on for 5+ years. Some departments are like that. But usually when you join a fire department, career or volunteer, you can't "just drive the truck" and not ever have to go in....
    It took me about 5 years before I was allowed to drive to calls also. We require state fire school pumps 1&2 and EVOC. We are starting to move towards requiring a CDL also, which most of our drives have.

Leave a comment:

• natedog54
    replied
    shes warmed up to it a little bit, she just thinks that I want to be a hero. I told her all i want to do is drive the truck and I dont have to go into the fire and I also threw the stats at her, so shes not 100% comfortable, but I think shes ok with it.

Just so ya know, being new, you may not have the option of what job you do (just driving or attacking the fire). My first fire department I was with where I grew up, you could not drive the trucks or operate the pumps until you had been on for 5+ years. Some departments are like that. But usually when you join a fire department, career or volunteer, you can't "just drive the truck" and not ever have to go in.

My current department (50 miles from my first), trains all firefighters to the same level, because you never know for sure who is going to show up for a volunteer department (makes more sense). But it also goes by who shows up first with that level of training.

Leave a comment:

• M1A2TankGunner
    replied
    I'm not going to on purpose move to a town just to volunteer, however, I've been looking at places that have volunteer departments..There's only 2 towns around here with fully paid departments but I would need certifications to get on with them. The 1 town is beyond bankrupt, they had a memorandum weather or not to raise taxes for the fire dept and people voted against it. They roll like 2 people per vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• thomas15
    replied
    i live in scranton..but i applied in moosic..its the next town over...i looked at lackawanna CC and luzern but they didnt have any listed..i think the only 1 close to me would be bucks county
    I think training for your area is Bucks County CC. They cover a hugh area of eastern PA. The classes are held at local fire compnies, not on campus, which is of course far from Scranton. When I took FF1, it was administered through Luzerne CCC.

Leave a comment:

• thomas15
    replied
    Is moving to a town/city with the sole purpose of moving with wanting to volunteer a little nuts to you guys? just wondering.
    Let me put it this way, there are some towns that if I lived in them, I wouldn't be in the fire service. I love being in the fire service. I guess I wouldn't sell my house and move though. But if I were moving I probably would consider the fire service potential when factoring in the place I move to.

There are other things besides fire, there is volunteer EMS and Search and Rescue groups although they may not be what you are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• thomas15
    replied
    i live in scranton..but i applied in moosic..its the next town over...i looked at lackawanna CC and luzern but they didnt have any listed..i think the only 1 close to me would be bucks county
    Hi Gunner,

I'm in nearby beautiful Carbon County. When I started volunteering in 2004 my wife was ok, but not thrilled. Today she is treasurer of the fire company.

It takes a lot of time but for my volunteer service, more time is spent fundraising than actual fires or car wrecks. It all depends on how much the town gives to the fire dept.

You will not have to pay for training. Essentials is free (as with all of the other classes). The only thing you may have to pay for is the actual cost to take the fire fighter 1 and 2 test ($150.00 ea) and that should be refunded to you.

I would go with the nearest station and hopefully they train hard and have a good work ethic. I'm sure they do but there are some volunteer fire compnies that don't. I think some departments want to see the applicant work for the answer to their application, I think to sort of weed out those only half interested.

Some volunteer outfits are true "good ole boys" clubs. Most are not but if you happen to connect with one you may find the brotherhood aspect lacking. We have a few members who live out of district. They have difficulties making the first truck out but no one treats them differently because they live out of town. By the way, we do not man the station, we are usually at home or work when we get the call and then respond to station. 3 minutes for the first truck to respond is probably considered good.

Have fun.
    Tom
    Last edited by thomas15; 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• M1A2TankGunner
    replied
    Is moving to a town/city with the sole purpose of moving with wanting to volunteer a little nuts to you guys? just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• M1A2TankGunner
    replied
    now im stuck in a rut..I cant get the house because of judgements on my credit from my mothers house..and a family from queens bought our apt building and i seriously doubt that they will renew our lease come november..so I kind of just want to quit with the station im trying to join because chances are we might not even live anywhere near there once our lease is up...i dont know..I was sooooo uber motivated too. Oh well

Sorry bout the grammar..just not too motivated right now.

Leave a comment:

• Leeland
    replied
    Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
    What are you talking about? Guys don't read instruction manuals anyway
    True, we don't and even if we did, I don't think it would help.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X