No announcement yet.

totally new to this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1A2TankGunner - Thanks for your service to OUR country. Welcome to a new brotherhood. I would not worry about how fast your response is, this is not the Corp. They will provide you with the training, though I can not say how things are done in Pa. as I am from NYS. I don't think there are 2 states that do things the same. Having family behind you is important. My wife did not have any choice in it as I was already 11 yrs in when we got married.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Comment

When I first joined the wife wasn't too happy with me about it. I don't spend a whole lot of time at the station but when I do have some time and we are short staffed, I'll spend a couple of hours there.

Fast forward 18 years later and guess who joined as an administrative member? Yep the wife. Oh well.

As for you M1A2Tank Gunner, I do think you need to talk about this with your wife. If not it might become a very sore subject in the future, particularly when she starts to ask "Where are you going?"

Women in general do not come with manuals like an M1A2, if they did then us guys would be in better shape to handle our wifes, girl friends, daughters, etc.

Wish you the best of luck and thanks for the service to our country.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeland View Post
        When I first joined the wife wasn't too happy with me about it. I don't spend a whole lot of time at the station but when I do have some time and we are short staffed, I'll spend a couple of hours there.

Fast forward 18 years later and guess who joined as an administrative member? Yep the wife. Oh well.

As for you M1A2Tank Gunner, I do think you need to talk about this with your wife. If not it might become a very sore subject in the future, particularly when she starts to ask "Where are you going?"

Women in general do not come with manuals like an M1A2, if they did then us guys would be in better shape to handle our wifes, girl friends, daughters, etc.

Wish you the best of luck and thanks for the service to our country.
        Tankgunner, we have the perfect wife your wife should talk to.

Welcome to the fire service.

Comment

shes warmed up to it a little bit, she just thinks that I want to be a hero. I told her all i want to do is drive the truck and I dont have to go into the fire and I also threw the stats at her, so shes not 100% comfortable, but I think shes ok with it.

We also found, well, I found her dream house and its like 3 blocks from the station, which is awesome. I didnt plan it like that, it just happened.

They should have done the background check on me by now so hopefully within the next few days Ill be hearing back from them. I really really really hope this works out because I haven't been this motivated to do anything since I can remember.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

Comment

Originally posted by Leeland View Post
            What are you talking about? Guys don't read instruction manuals anyway

Comment

Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
              What are you talking about? Guys don't read instruction manuals anyway
              True, we don't and even if we did, I don't think it would help.

Comment

now im stuck in a rut..I cant get the house because of judgements on my credit from my mothers house..and a family from queens bought our apt building and i seriously doubt that they will renew our lease come november..so I kind of just want to quit with the station im trying to join because chances are we might not even live anywhere near there once our lease is up...i dont know..I was sooooo uber motivated too. Oh well

Sorry bout the grammar..just not too motivated right now.

Comment

Is moving to a town/city with the sole purpose of moving with wanting to volunteer a little nuts to you guys? just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by M1A2TankGunner View Post
                    i live in scranton..but i applied in moosic..its the next town over...i looked at lackawanna CC and luzern but they didnt have any listed..i think the only 1 close to me would be bucks county
                    Hi Gunner,

I'm in nearby beautiful Carbon County. When I started volunteering in 2004 my wife was ok, but not thrilled. Today she is treasurer of the fire company.

It takes a lot of time but for my volunteer service, more time is spent fundraising than actual fires or car wrecks. It all depends on how much the town gives to the fire dept.

You will not have to pay for training. Essentials is free (as with all of the other classes). The only thing you may have to pay for is the actual cost to take the fire fighter 1 and 2 test ($150.00 ea) and that should be refunded to you.

I would go with the nearest station and hopefully they train hard and have a good work ethic. I'm sure they do but there are some volunteer fire compnies that don't. I think some departments want to see the applicant work for the answer to their application, I think to sort of weed out those only half interested.

Some volunteer outfits are true "good ole boys" clubs. Most are not but if you happen to connect with one you may find the brotherhood aspect lacking. We have a few members who live out of district. They have difficulties making the first truck out but no one treats them differently because they live out of town. By the way, we do not man the station, we are usually at home or work when we get the call and then respond to station. 3 minutes for the first truck to respond is probably considered good.

Have fun.
                    Tom
                    Last edited by thomas15; 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM.
                    FF/EMT

Comment

Is moving to a town/city with the sole purpose of moving with wanting to volunteer a little nuts to you guys? just wondering.
                      Let me put it this way, there are some towns that if I lived in them, I wouldn't be in the fire service. I love being in the fire service. I guess I wouldn't sell my house and move though. But if I were moving I probably would consider the fire service potential when factoring in the place I move to.

There are other things besides fire, there is volunteer EMS and Search and Rescue groups although they may not be what you are looking for.
                      FF/EMT

Comment

i live in scranton..but i applied in moosic..its the next town over...i looked at lackawanna CC and luzern but they didnt have any listed..i think the only 1 close to me would be bucks county
                        I think training for your area is Bucks County CC. They cover a hugh area of eastern PA. The classes are held at local fire compnies, not on campus, which is of course far from Scranton. When I took FF1, it was administered through Luzerne CCC.
                        FF/EMT

Comment

I'm not going to on purpose move to a town just to volunteer, however, I've been looking at places that have volunteer departments..There's only 2 towns around here with fully paid departments but I would need certifications to get on with them. The 1 town is beyond bankrupt, they had a memorandum weather or not to raise taxes for the fire dept and people voted against it. They roll like 2 people per vehicle.

Comment

shes warmed up to it a little bit, she just thinks that I want to be a hero. I told her all i want to do is drive the truck and I dont have to go into the fire and I also threw the stats at her, so shes not 100% comfortable, but I think shes ok with it.

Just so ya know, being new, you may not have the option of what job you do (just driving or attacking the fire). My first fire department I was with where I grew up, you could not drive the trucks or operate the pumps until you had been on for 5+ years. Some departments are like that. But usually when you join a fire department, career or volunteer, you can't "just drive the truck" and not ever have to go in.

My current department (50 miles from my first), trains all firefighters to the same level, because you never know for sure who is going to show up for a volunteer department (makes more sense). But it also goes by who shows up first with that level of training.

Comment

Originally posted by natedog54 View Post
                              ...My first fire department I was with where I grew up, you could not drive the trucks or operate the pumps until you had been on for 5+ years. Some departments are like that. But usually when you join a fire department, career or volunteer, you can't "just drive the truck" and not ever have to go in....
                              It took me about 5 years before I was allowed to drive to calls also. We require state fire school pumps 1&2 and EVOC. We are starting to move towards requiring a CDL also, which most of our drives have.
                              FF/EMT

Comment

Im aware of all that, unlike in the army, driver isn't a entry level position, but It would be my goal, and if I tell my wife that i won't go into fires..then its all good. Its not a lie if you bend the truth.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X