Why am I shaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I shaking?

Hey guys...I`ve been getting ready for the CPAT lately and I`ve noticed that as soon as I am finished with my daily workout I really start shaking and do not function fully. Am I over doing the exercises? I am not in great shape but not in bad shape either. I don't know if I am explaining it right or not. My routine usually starts with warm ups, 30 push ups, I climb stairs at our basketball gym (16 times) and then I will run one mile. I have a 20 lb weight vest on while i do all of this. I don't believe I am over exerting myself and I just started 3 days ago and I am doing this all while my muscles are still sore. I have been drinking a lot of water and then gatorade once I am finished. But more water than anything else.

Anyone have any ideas as to why I come out shaking?

Have you been doing any exercising prior to starting this workout? If you just jumped into that workout you body may not be used to doing that much work.

Comment

yeah i really just jumped into it...i mean i play basketball and go for walks every week but nothing this substan.

Comment

Yeah I've done the same thing . I just tried to ease into it a little before I went 100%.

Comment

Thanks Bro.

I just got a call from the FD I want to get on and they told me that they do not do the CPAT but something similar to the firefighter combat challenge. I don't know much about it so I'll have to ask my LEU at the FD what do I need to do to prepare for it. Anyone else have a suggestion to prepare?

Comment

It includes stairs, hose drags, a dummy drag etc..you are probably shaking because your blood glucose is low..you burn your glyocogen up in a work out..for all your fitness needs check out bodybuilding.com..good luck

Comment

Your Training

Yes, people shake like that when they train harder than they are used to. I would develop a plan to maximize your effectiveness at the exercises needed to pass your targeted department's physical. Do this by looking at the things that need to be done, then adding weight/resistance. Do super setting: one exercise, then another with another set of muscle groups.

Here's an example:
              warm up before every hard training session, and stretch after!
              Put you weight vest on, then:
              Super set:
              10 pull ups
              10 walking lunges, hands on hips
              10 push ups
              run up and down the bleachers once
              start again.
              Next set:
              12 pull ups
              20 walking lunges, hands on hips
              12 push ups
              run up and down the bleachers once
              Repeat.
              I would start by going through 3 times (total) at first. This won't take long.Then add 1 time through per week until you reach a 30 minute workout.

This will work all your major muscle groups. It is only one small part of a plan- something to do a time or 2 a week. You will need to do heavy leg press, lat pulls, squats and leg extension/curls. Also- training your core, in every direction (extension, flexion, rotation and lateral flexion) will help prevent back injuries later.

I would not waste your time doing bicep or tricep training- or specific calf training either. Spend your time on BIG exercises- ones that move many joints at one time.

Be careful with the weight vest. Running and jumping with that on can be injurious to your discs. They won't ask you to run with it on in a test (unless they don't mind injuring people) so, don't subject yourself to that. Use a step mill or a bleachers, and work up in weight- not up in pounding!

Dr. Jen
              www.fireagility.com
              Dr. Jen
              www.fireagility.com

Comment

1. Don't drink caffeine, or use any products with stimulants within 4 hours prior to workout. Many "sports drinks" can contain lot's of crap that will make ya shaky.
                2. Make sure your food intake is matching your new increased energy output.
                3. Combat Challenge type tests are MUCH harder than the CPAT.
                The people I workout with for the Combat Challenge Team all do some variation of an interval workout- basically moderate activity with periods of max intensity. This seems to be the closest to what Challenge tests are like.

We often do something like this:
                Go to a high school track/field, or a gym with indoor track.
                After good warmup, run a lap at about 7:30 pace or so.
                Run up a long flight of stairs carrying a ~25-35lb dumbell in each hand, at top do bent rows with the dumbells,we do 15 reps. Should be done at max effort. Carry dumbells back down.
                Do another lap at same pace.
                Repeat for 4 laps total.

Another day:
                After warmup, run a lap at 7:30 pace.
                Do a 50 yard drag of something heavy (ie a tire filled with cement on pavement). Should be done at a sprint, max effort.
                Run another lap at 7:30 pace.
                Repeat for 4 laps.

We do all workouts with a vest on.

Get the idea?
                This is a basic workout concept used by some guys that have placed in the top 10 nationally for their age group.

Comment

Great Stuff!

Mittleschmirtz is right, it doesn't need to be fancy to get the job done.

Dr. Jen
                  www.fireagility.com
                  Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-12-2007, 05:37 PM.
                  Dr. Jen
                  www.fireagility.com

Comment

Mittleschmirtz is right

You're buring up a whole lot of calories with your new workout routine. Make sure to add in more growceries before and after your workout. Knock off the caffine.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

plain and simple muscle failure makes you shake but im sure your prepared enough now to get passed that just keep it in mind for future referance. i eliminated hypoglycemia due to the fact that you stated you drank gatorade afterwords

Comment

I know that if my arms shake at times after a workout I know I got a good one in. That is after an upper body workout. The muscles are tired and don't want to work. Make sure there are no other underlying problems. Have you gotten a good physical lately? Get a good nights sleep also. A well rested body helps muscle growth.
                        Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X