Portland PAT, get ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoCougs View Post
    I have not had time to get up to Portland lately to do the practice. Do you know if they are having the practice this weekend? I am going to be up there for the TVFR test on Saturday
    Yes....there is a practice session on both Friday & Saturday. I will be heading out after the TVFR test (and a little lunch) on Saturday as well.

Comment

So Can somebody please give me directions to this place so that I can get there after the TVFR test. Also do I need to bring anything?

Comment

After you leave the TVFR test...get back out to Hwy 26 towards Portland.

- Hwy 26 eastbound towards Portland.
        - Before the tunnel, make sure you're in the right lane.
        - Follow The Dalles/Portland Airport/I-84 signs through the tunnel and through the I-405 interchange. Don't get off at the first exit out of the tunnel! Get in the right lane AFTER that 1st exit and keep moving over to the right lane.
        - You should be crossing the Marquam Bridge (large double decker) on the top deck.
        - Keep right and follow The Dalles/Portland Airport/I-84 signs off of the Marquam Bridge onto I-84 eastbound.
        - Follow I-84 eastbound for several miles.
        - Take the 122nd street exit. It should curve back around and hit 122nd.
        - Right on 122nd (northbound)
        - It's on the right a few blocks down....you'll go under Sandy Blvd and it will be right there.

Comment

OK so once Im on 122nd and I go under sandy I will see it on the right? Should I wear jeans and a t-shirt or what?

Comment

Originally posted by GoCougs View Post
            OK so once Im on 122nd and I go under sandy I will see it on the right? Should I wear jeans and a t-shirt or what?
            Yes, it is immediately on the right as you pass under Sandy. You'll see a sign that says Portland Fire Bureau Training Center. You should also be able to see their training tower and the station house on the right as you cruise down 122nd.

I've been wearing soccer pants, t-shirt and running shoes. It's been cold the last several weeks so I've been wearing layers....but have found that I only need the T-shirt and pants under the turnout coat. I'm usually plenty warm and soaked by the time I'm done anyways. I also bring a bottle of water as well...particularly if you plan to run through the course a couple times. Also, wear a watch so you can time yourself. They can't time you....but they have not had a problem with me timing myself.

Then just check in at the main building, watch the video, sign a release and head over to the training tower. There will be a crew there that can help with any specifics.

Comment

Will they just let you run through the course? Also what times are they there during the day? Can you do the ladder climb also?

Comment

From the letter I got from them, they are there from 9 a.m. to 4:30 pm Friday & Saturday. They do try to break it down to a few 2 1/2 hour blocks based on your last name....but it's been pretty casual thus far. I've never seen more than 5-7 people there when I go (usually Saturday.)

They have been letting people go through the entire course....just so long as someone is not working a particular station. It hasn't been a problem so far. I usually go over on Saturdays and go through the course twice and call it a day. Muscles are usually burning pretty good by then.....

They have had the aerial set up almost every time I've been there. They will harness you up and let you climb if you want to give it a try.

Comment

Ok thanks, have you been trying the aerial climb when you have been there?

Comment

Ok so I read over the letter that Portland sent out about the practice sessions. It says that my time is from 9:00 am to 11:30 am. Do you think that they will have a problem with me coming later in the day and practicing?

Comment

I have climbed the aerial several times. It's not too bad. It is quite a view.

You may want to just double check with the recruiter to see if it's OK to stop in during another session....like I said, it's been pretty casual so as long as it's not crowded (which it hasn't been) I can't imagine they would turn you away.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...