Shoulder decompression surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder decompression surgery??

I am trying to decide to have the surgery or not. The reason for the surgery is I have impingement syndrome due to inferolateral downsloping of the acromion. My main concern is that I might be DQed in the hiring process if I do not because of the medical condition. I do have pain without loss of strength in pretty much any pressing or lateral raise movements.

By not having the surgery will it raise medical questions in the hiring process? Thanks for your help.

Brian

In 1996 I had shoulder impingement syndrome. I underwent surgery for it. It is doing great and was lifting well in the gym until a recent bout with possibly the same problem with my left shoulder.

I ask you, will the testing or evals you will go through encompass any range of motion movements wherein they will see that you have the impingement problem? If not then you may be able to skate through it and post-hiring opt for sugery. I am not sure if you have tried any remedial therapy but it might work for you, not sure since I am not a doctor.

let me know how it turns out. I am sending this through a fellow firefighter's account (he is beside me here). You can email me for furhter at:

[email protected]

Best of luck in getting hired and in getting through the syndrome you have. One last thing: I had a spur on my acromion and a partial tear in the rotator cuff. Now, for my left shoulder I don't know whaty is going on. Hopefully I will soon. I am just doing my physical therapy at home right now and have changed my workout to accomodate the problem.

Here are some links if you need them:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/fongemie.html

http://www.wcb.ab.ca/providers/mags21.asp

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the information Steve.

I have been through therapy with no improvement. I have complete range of motion. My problem is some pretty good pain with any pressing or rotational movements. I did try coritzone therapy without benefit. The pain is most severe when working out. But it is present with any resitive movement. I have not been able to find any effective resistance workout that does not create pain. Ultimately I have decided to go ahead with the surgery for pain relief and if I do not have it I have an increased chance of rotater cuff problems. I hope it all works out. Thanks again.

Comment

Try A.R.T. Active Release Therapy. Helps a lot.

Comment

Active Release Therapy is awesome and I recommend it as well!!!! You can email me at [email protected] and I'll give you more info.

Comment

Active Release Therapy is awesome and I recommend it as well!!!! You can email me at [email protected] and I'll give you more info.

Comment

I had this surgery awhile back and a good friend of mine had the same surgery. We still have pain. Not as bad as we had it before the surgery but it is still there. Good Luck
              Marshall Griffiss EMT/FF
              Chaires Capitola Fire Rescue
              Tallahassee, Fl.
              www.stitchingbydesign.net
              Washington Lodge #2 F&AM
              Past Master
              Ham Radio: N4DOG General Class
              IACOJ

Comment

Impingement

I am all for the conservative approach... since I do deep tissue sports massage and therapeutic exercise myself. BUT: if you have tried those, and ultrasound and cortisone, more drastic measures may be called for.

I have not looked at these x-rays... although I would like to. In some cases, the acromiun grows at a down sloping angle. It's a, anatomical variant or anomoly- like a very big nose, or a spinabifida. And nothing is likely to make a significant change in that BUT surgery. I hate to admit it, but that might be your only option if you want this carreer.

Could you get hired without it? Maybe...
                Would you last an entire career without having an injury? I dunno... I would have to make an educated guess of no... not with such a skeletal anomoly.

Sorry, it's just my opinion.... and I have NOT seen your x-ray.
                I would get another ortho's opinion.

Dr. Jen
                www.fireagility.com
                Dr. Jen
                www.fireagility.com

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I ended up having the surgery in early November. I did help. The only pain I now have is a little soreness from the surgery.

Dr. Jen,

They did not really pick up the downslopin on the x-ray, but the MRI is what told the story. It was funny that once I knew what was wrong I could actually feel when the tendon was getting hung up on the acromiun.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X