steriods/polygraph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steriods/polygraph

I have never been through the polygraph test yet. But my question is if someone has taken steriods in the past can this effect them on their polygraph test as far as the questions that they may ask?

Maybe

Originally posted by Owensborofire
    I have never been through the polygraph test yet. But my question is if someone has taken steriods in the past can this effect them on their polygraph test as far as the questions that they may ask?
    You will be given a background packet and additional information to fill out asking you in several different ways "Have you Ever" prior to being hooked up to the polygraph. If you answer no and it is revealed you're out of the process.

Even if you change and answer during the poly from what you wrote down you will be eliminated. A recent candidate put down that he took less than $25.00 from his empolyer. Got to thinking about it after he was hooked up and changed it to $50.00. He failed!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
    http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Why don't you just drop the roids?
      J
      It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

what about any type of drugs in the past. if you tell the truth about what you have done but dont do drugs anymore is that ok.

Comment

It can

Originally posted by YaDude
          what about any type of drugs in the past. if you tell the truth about what you have done but dont do drugs anymore is that ok.
          It's not just the poly that can cause you problems with past drug use but also the psych test:

In fact, if a department refused to hire people who honestly admitted to having experimented with alcohol or marijuana they would have few candidates to choose from. Prior minor use should not be counted against you. But, if you admit that you have, it might.

Extensive use does raise questions. If you admitted to experimenting with marijuana 200 times will certainly raise a red flag. Experimenting with cocaine or methamphetamine is much more serious. Stating that you never used anything can raise questions. But if you never have experimented with drugs, don’t feel that you need to say anything.

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

thank you captain.

Comment

[QUOTE=CaptBob]Prior minor use should not be counted against you. But, if you admit that you have, it might.

QUOTE]

Im a little confused by this post. Are you saying that if you have done steroids, alchohol, marijuana, cocaine, etc. etc. that you should lie about it? Wont that come up in the polygraph?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptBob
                Prior minor use should not be counted against you. But, if you admit that you have, it might.

Sorry about that last post. i accidentally deleted the [/ as you can tell. lol. But ill just repost it all.

Just trying to figure out if you were saying if you have done things before you should lie? because i would think that would come up on the polygraph? im just confused i guess.

Comment

I should have re-worded those posts a little better i think. it sounds like i am somekind of drughead.. and i dont want to portray that because with the exception to alchohol, i cant say ive experienced the drug side of things... i just got confused cause it sounded like it was said to tell the truth and dont lie, but then also said not to tell them if you have done things before.

Comment

Tell the truth!

The polygraph and psych are not designed to drop the “average” candidate. They are to identify people who are out of the norm.

As was pointed out in a previous post, there is an expectation that candidates have “experimented” with minor types of drugs. Harder drugs are not so accepted. Major alcohol use is also frowned upon, especially in today’s generation where it is more prevalent than ever.

Paul Lepore
                    Battalion Chief
                    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
                    Paul Lepore
                    Battalion Chief
                    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Originally posted by stew14chico
                      I should have re-worded those posts a little better i think. it sounds like i am somekind of drughead.. and i dont want to portray that because with the exception to alchohol . . .
                      Alcohol is a drug too. This can also cause you problems in the hiring process especially the psych.

If you occasionally drink alcohol and get drunk on your birthday and at a barbeque last summer, that is one thing. But if you’re getting hammered a couple nights a week and on weekends, this will raise some questions. Please think first if the doctor asks the question how many drinks would you have at a party and still drive home. Anyone who might answer maybe two could send a message that they will drink and drive. No department wants their firefighters being nailed on drunk driving charges. Responsible people arrange for a designated driver.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

I definitely agree..

Comment

Another Chance

We were out to dinner this week. The strapping lad in his early twenties who was our server announced in conversation that he was taking classes to become a firefighter. He had several family members who are of were firefighters. His dad is a retired assistant chief. Sounds like he’s on his way. I gave him my card.

A while later he came back by and said he had something serious to ask us. I replied with, “You didn’t get a DUI did you?” Oh, know he said. But I got caught in my car using mushrooms. O.K. how many times did you use them? Uh, just twice. I’m in a diversion program now and been clean for 8 months. They told me if I finish the program everything would be erased. Were you arrested? Yes.

We’re you using pot. Well I did in college. How many times did you smoke the herb? I don’t know. It was almost all the time around two years while I was going to college. I said, give me a call and talk about your future. He hasn’t called yet.

If he had called I would have told him if he was arrested there would be a record. Using mushrooms crosses a line that can raise red flags. Even if he went through a diversion program he would still have to reveal it happened. Because several times in the application, background packet and psych information it asks in several different ways have you ever. If you don’t come straight up and answer truthfully and they find out, your toast.

Most departments want to see at least 5 years clean of drugs before they will consider you. Yes, there are exceptions. Few. Having smoked pot for 2 years of college will cause concerns with the hiring process and definitely the psych. The doc will have a field day with this one.

It goes like this. If you want to take a chance using drugs, getting a DUI, running with the wrongs friends than find another career. Why would they want to take a serious look at you when they have 100 other candidates who were responsible enough to understand the ramifications of their actions?

Yes, there have been candidates who turned their lives around did what was right, gained the necessary education, experience, life values, and learned how to take a firefighter interview to gain a badge. But there aren’t many that can pull it off. There are too many land mines.

Even after I've shared this information with a lot of candidates who were in this position they said they were still going to try. They felt that becoming a medic, volunteer, military would erase the past. I've only heard from a few that were able to make it.
                          Last edited by CaptBob; 10-07-2006, 09:51 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse