Weight Vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Vest

Can someone tell me a good place to get a weight vest at a decent price? I have a CPAT in about 8 weeks. Thanks

Weight vest dot com

The specific link is for the 60# "economy" plate vest. This is the one I used, and I feel like I got pretty good results.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Comment

simulaids.com sells the style of vest you find at a cpat for around $400. I know that is not a great price but in the big picture at some point in your firefighting career that will be one overtime shift.

Comment

Also, if you're short on cash a 60lb sandbag from the hardware store placed in a backpack works well. That's what I use anytime I am training for a fitness exam.
        "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

Comment

Bio-mechanics

Sorry, I don't agree that a back pack with sand is a good idea, bio-mechanically speaking. It loads the spine un-evenly. All the weight is in the back! It's the beginning of a great idea, though. Let's take it a step further. I have heard of people using one of those old orange life vests, cutting it open, and replacing the flotation with bags of sand. Then they tape it up with duck tape until they need to add more weight. This will load the spine on the traps (centrally/axially) and a bit in front. Then a back pack can be added (in back) to even the weight distribution. Don't fill up back or front totally at first, work up, keeping the weight even back to front!

View here for a full 11 week plan, plus pointers on how to prevent injuries!
          http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...nId=8&id=50549

I still like the weightvest.com version the best. But, it is a bit pricy.

Dr.Jen
          [email protected]
          www.fireagility.com
          Dr. Jen
          www.fireagility.com

Comment

I actually used an old fishing vest I had laying around, measured out 30 pounds off of my dumb-bell weights and zip-locked 30 pounds of sand. Half fit in the front pouches, half fit in the back. I've duct-taped the pouches for more security since it was a tight fit. Balanced out right it feels pretty good on the stairmill at my gym and cost me $3.00 for a bag of sand. Money I was going to save by taking the sand from the kiddie-park near my house but then my wife gave me "that look" and I bought it instead. I tried it once with the 60# in the backpack but it pulls hard on your shoulders and doesn't feel right.

Comment

http://store.titleboxing.com/wvst3.html

40pound vest for 59.99

a great price

Comment

Would vests be usefull to run in as well? or should they be limited to stair exercises?

Comment

I just took the CPAT today in Chesapeake, VA and passed. You don't have to run in any vest. Just run a couple of times a week to increase your lung capacity. Indian sprints (fartleks) also help. If you run at a track run your normal spead for a lap or two and then run hard for half a lap or so. Don't stop afterwards just slow down. Catch your breath, then do it again. It makes your body get used to running fast
                  I used a backpack with two 30lb weights in it on some stairs behind the high school, just to work my legs. I work out a couple times a week and squats, leg press, etc is not the same as carrying weigth up steps. Just as running on a treadmill IS NOT the same as running on dirt!
                  Good Luck.

Comment

Ok, I'm just trying to find other uses for the vest other than stepmill/stairs. They arn't cheap :-/

Comment

I wouldnt advise running with a weight vest on. It would be ok i'd think after very slowly working your way up to that weight, but 40 or 50 #'s added right away will be hell on you knees, back, spine etc...

To avoid buying stair steppers, go check out some fitness centers and at least get a monthly pass prior to taking/passing a cpat. Find out what machine you'll be testing on and find a center that has the same one to work with.

Comment

Content Removed
                        Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

cpat help

I've taken the CPAT 3 times and have watched 100's others take in while in the fire academy. Here are the 3 major sticking points for people:

1) Stairmaster, if you haven't been training on this it can really make the remainder of the test unpleasent. I bought my weight vest at www.weightvest.com. It was a little more expensive then some of the others but the quality is most excellent and the vest is a very comfortable fit. I went with the 50lb vest and worked up to 20 mins at 60 steps per min. The 75 lbs you do for 3 mins in the CPAT is a joke in compairison.

2) The dummy drag, this is the second to last event and its a real bear after everyting else. My personal technique is to turn faceing forward and with one hand grab the dummy handle and pull walking forward with your arm streched behind you. Once you get going the dummy really slides nice, you can almost run with it. The other option to choke up and walk backwards. This technique will work but it's much slower and much harder on your lower back.

3) Forcable entry, most guys don't have a problem with this one but I've seen it trip up some of the ladies. I'd recommend the girls do some upperbody strength training and pickup and swing a sledge hammer. You definatly don't want the test to be the first time you pickup the hammer. Practice on your front door if you have to (kidding of course), but definatly take a wack at something, a tree stomp maybe?

I hope this has been helpful.. good luck!

Comment

I want to get one from weightvest.com, which one is better or recomended, the short version or the normal(long) vest?

Comment

Cpat Vest

Originally posted by FLA1786 View Post
                              I want to get one from weightvest.com, which one is better or recomended, the short version or the normal(long) vest?
                              Hey there,
                              Here's just a little bit of advice for you on a CPAT Vest. First, get the longer version @ 75lbs. Why? Because more than likely, you will have the long version for your CPAT test.
                              1). As you may already know, the first 3 minutes are imperative (a lot of people fall out even before the three min is up) to you finishing the next 7 stations. i.e. Count your strides on the Stairmaster, it helped me, you should have a total of 180 steps=3 minutes.

2). For training purposes without the Weightvest: Definately do these exercises.
                              a). Mountain-climbers
                              b). Push-ups (on the floor and also on a Swiss-ball)
                              c). Jumping-Jacks
                              d). Sit-ups
                              e). If you can, pull-ups
                              f). The most important, "high-rises" or stairs at your local High School football field. It's also a good idea to go to the office to ask for permission if you train during the week.
                              ***If you begin to practice the steps at the football field with out the vest, it will help your body get adjusted with the vest.

Be sure you stretch for a least 20-30 minutes before hand, and I wouldn't start out using all 75lbs. I'd start with 30lbs-40lbs, just walking around my neighborhood.
                              After awhile, you can even do pushups with the vest on to really build your strength. The vest is expensive at first, but you can use it to train after you get on the job.
                              The vest will not only help you get past the CPAT, but it will help you once you PT in Recruit School.

Hopefully this little bit of advice helps, good luck

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X