Pre-employment Physical and blood pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-employment Physical and blood pressure

I am currently a POC firefighter and am nearing my goal of becoming career! I have made it to the last steps of the hiring process and couldn't be more excited. That being said, I recently had my pre-employment physical and my blood Pressure was far higher than I have ever seen it before 150/100 pulse 90. The POC department I'm on had our annual physical 2 weeks prior and my blood pressure was normal for me 130/80 pulse 60. At the time of the pre-employment physical the Doc didn't say much other than I must be pretty nervous.

my understanding is that in some locations those values during my physical could be high enough for rejection. Does anyone have experience with this? is it common to be automatically DQ'd, or is it likely I'll be sent to my regular physician to verify that is not my normal blood pressure? This was about a week ago and I haven't heard if i was "favorable" or "unfavorable" for hire yet. Just thought i would see what you all think.

for anyone curious about what went on at the physica,l it was a long questionnaire on medical history, drug test, ht/wt, vision, blood pressure, spirometer, flexibility, ekg stress test up to 10 METs, blood work. and a chest X-ray

Looks like they would have had you rest and taken it a few more times.

That is what most good medical people would do.

Maybe you should have also asked, for that.

I am thinking that it should not matter.

Are you normal weight and size????
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Yeah pretty normal, 5'8" 170 lbs Male.

Comment

Originally posted by Cfd24 View Post
        Yeah pretty normal, 5'8" 170 lbs Male.
        Sounds like you have a job offer???

Comment

I applied almost two years ago and out of no where I received a conditional offer a couple months ago. I believe only thing i have left is the psychological which is in a couple of days. They've spent the last two months doing various background checks, and testing, so I am hoping they would prefer not to disqualify me at this point. Its a small dept, and i believe they only gave offers to a couple of us this round

Comment

I applied almost two years ago and out of no where I received a conditional offer a couple months ago. I believe only thing i have left is the psychological which is in a couple of days. They've spent the last two months doing various background checks, and testing, so I am hoping they would prefer not to disqualify me at this point. Its a small dept, and i believe they only gave offers to a couple of us this round
            I am thinking not a problem.

Have the dept take you BP, if there is a question.

Do you have any records from poc physical??? if so you might submit them.

Comment

I heard back. It wasn't an issue. I'll keep my eye on it, but i think it was a one time thing. Have a great new year!

Comment

I heard back. It wasn't an issue. I'll keep my eye on it, but i think it was a one time thing. Have a great new year!
                Fantastic

Now on to a new job!!!

Should have asked, did you respond to the doctor when he

said the Doc didn't say much other than I must be pretty nervous

Comment

I agreed that I was very nervous.

I had the psychological exam on Monday, which was not very fun. It was a short IQ type test, MMPI2 and CPI then background packet and ethics questionnaire where it gave a situation, how i would handle it, and what the repercussions should be. it finished with a one hour long interview with a psychologist PhD. We went over schooling, career, family, alcohol and drug use. On Tuesday, I went to a work strategies/physical therapy clinic and did a bunch of fire ground tasks for about an hour. Mostly moving hose or dumb-bells up and down stairs, that also had me put various weights and shapes on a 5 ft high shelf. It started out testing my range of motion and feeling that my knees were stable. On Tuesday, I was given a tentative start date, and should get my official offer before the end of the week!

*I included all the details for future curious firefighters looking for answers about what goes on in those tests

Comment

Sounds good have fun and learn

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse