Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

27 year old personal trainer, looking to become firefighter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 year old personal trainer, looking to become firefighter

Hey all,

so yea I'm 27, soon to be 28. Kinda job hopped after college, took the LSAT and completed the rest of my law school application, but wasn't happy with the strength of it so i put that on the back burner. Fell into a safe bet hospital administration job that made me miserable for close to 3 years before quitting and going into personal training full time, which is something I had done sort of informally for a while before that. I had always kicked around the idea of becoming a firefighter, not not too seriously until recently unfortunately...anyways this personal training gig isn't a longterm move for me; more transitional than anything. so here go some questions:

where do i begin?
    is it too late for me to begin?
    i'm from nyc, and would love to make a move to cali or colorado. is there a way to get the ball rolling from out of state?
    I don't have any kind of EMT cert. does that preclude me from starting the process?

i'd appreciate any and all input.

Which state are you in????

Comment

Last edited by fire5555; 10-29-2018, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the multiples

Anyway I should have added

Check as many city fd web sites in say four hour drive,

And see what are the minimum requirements are just to apply,,,

Than get them!!! Start applying and testing everywhere and anywhere.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Im in ny just north of the city

Comment

Ok I do not know much about NY state, but I do think some cities want you to live in them to just apply?? Might check on that,

If you are in one or two hours to neighboring states, highly suggest you look there also.

Like I said search web sites, see what you need just to put in an application.

Start working on getting those certs.

If you find cities that will hire you off the street with no certs, apply and test!!!

Comment

You're definitely not starting too late. I was about that age when I started applying. I got hired by a major metropolitan FD on the east coast, worked there for a few years, and later switched jobs to move closer to home, with a major metropolitan FD in the Midwest. By that time I was in my 30s.

I would strongly encourage you to look out of state. These processes are so competitive, so more applications increase your chances. Also, your immediate area is tough. FDNY age caps at 28. New Jersey gives a statewide exam that only state residents can take. Massachusetts gives a statewide exam that's open to non-residents, but if you're not a) a resident or b) a veteran it is essentially impossible to get hired.

If you wanna stay on the east coast, most of the big departments in PA, MD and VA give tests that are open to non-residents, and you do not need any certifications (except Pittsburgh, they only allow city residents to test). Look on the city and county websites to see when they're testing. And stay on the ball. Most only test once every 2 or 3 years, and the application window may only be open for a few weeks.

I'm not as familiar with Colorado or the California. I think the big city departments (LA City, LA County, San Francisco, Denver, etc) work like any other major fire department. It's an entry level exam that anyone can take, even without certifications. However, smaller suburban jurisdictions often require certifications to apply, but you'll just have to investigate each department, one by one, to know. Also, check out governmentjobs.com. There's a fair number of hiring notices on there.

Good luck

Comment

Now if you want to get out of the cold, texas is always hiring

Get your EMT at least paramedic better,

Do the quick tx ff cert class and you are in!!

https://www.tcfp.texas.gov/job_postings/jobs.asp

The quick class ::

http://trainingdivision.com/fire/bas...ghter-academy/

Comment

Originally posted by jes82 View Post
                  You're definitely not starting too late. I was about that age when I started applying. I got hired by a major metropolitan FD on the east coast, worked there for a few years, and later switched jobs to move closer to home, with a major metropolitan FD in the Midwest. By that time I was in my 30s.

I would strongly encourage you to look out of state. These processes are so competitive, so more applications increase your chances. Also, your immediate area is tough. FDNY age caps at 28. New Jersey gives a statewide exam that only state residents can take. Massachusetts gives a statewide exam that's open to non-residents, but if you're not a) a resident or b) a veteran it is essentially impossible to get hired.

If you wanna stay on the east coast, most of the big departments in PA, MD and VA give tests that are open to non-residents, and you do not need any certifications (except Pittsburgh, they only allow city residents to test). Look on the city and county websites to see when they're testing. And stay on the ball. Most only test once every 2 or 3 years, and the application window may only be open for a few weeks.

I'm not as familiar with Colorado or the California. I think the big city departments (LA City, LA County, San Francisco, Denver, etc) work like any other major fire department. It's an entry level exam that anyone can take, even without certifications. However, smaller suburban jurisdictions often require certifications to apply, but you'll just have to investigate each department, one by one, to know. Also, check out governmentjobs.com. There's a fair number of hiring notices on there.

Good luck

Much appreciated. As per the NTN, Virginia is the closest state hiring. Should I expect this to be the most up to date info? And pretty much all of the listings I saw there say you need an in state drivers license.

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
                    Now if you want to get out of the cold, texas is always hiring

Get your EMT at least paramedic better,

Do the quick tx ff cert class and you are in!!

The quick class ::

http://trainingdivision.com/fire/bas...ghter-academy/
                    Definitely not opposed to Texas. Another hang up for me is money is a bit tight. Didn?t realize these EMT courses were so expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by mattjm1121 View Post

Definitely not opposed to Texas. Another hang up for me is money is a bit tight. Didn?t realize these EMT courses were so expensive!
                      Yep

either pay

find a dept that will do all the training

Look at am ambulance service that will train you,
                      but may want you to commit to some time there

i suggest get emt first

Comment

Originally posted by mattjm1121 View Post

Much appreciated. As per the NTN, Virginia is the closest state hiring. Should I expect this to be the most up to date info? And pretty much all of the listings I saw there say you need an in state drivers license.
                        Yeah, unfortunately there's really no central clearinghouse for info about fire department hiring. So you'll find a lot of lists all over, but none of them are comprehensive. So you kinda have to monitor a lot of pages at once. NTN is a good place to look, but it only lists departments that hire through NTN (and many don't). governmentjobs.com, like I mentioned before. Sometimes people will post info about hiring processes on this forum.

But for most big cities, the only way to know when the hiring process opens is to monitor that specific city's website. A lot of them have "Job Interest Forms" that you can fill out, and they should email you when they start testing. But of course, it's city government, so nothing is guaranteed. Always a good idea to check it yourself.

Philly tested in 2013, and again in 2016, so theoretically they should test again sometime in the next year or so. Baltimore County has been hiring a fair bit recently, for both EMTs and FFs (but if you get hired as an EMT you can bridge over to suppression after a few years, so its not a bad gig). Baltimore City and DC both tested in 2015, but they both kept their last list alive for like 6 or 7 years. Also, there's a lot of midsized departments in PA that still run a lot of fire (York, Reading, Allentown, Chester, Erie, also Wilmington DE). Worth looking into.

As for the in-state license thing, I've never heard of that. Sounds like some crazy Virginia sh*t to me, lol. But seriously, a lot of jurisdictions look for ways to hire local residents. I'm sure that's what the license thing is all about.

Comment

Well normally the state you live in drivers license is good in another state for so many days, after you move,

The only thing to check to see if you do apply for a license in another state, you do not have any hits that will not allow you to get one.

A dept should accept a license from another state with no problem. Have not heard of one that has not.

Comment

Don't know if this would be the right place to ask, but does anyone know if its possible to lateral from a department like FDNY to any other department?

Comment

If they have an advertised opening.

And I take it you mean to another fire department

Not to many laterals out there.

If you want to work in Texas, there are some every so often

Check weekly

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90