Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Capt. Rob Private Coaching Worth It?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capt. Rob Private Coaching Worth It?

Basically, I have an interview coming up. I already have Capt. Bob's stuff, and it's great. Definitely worth it. But what about the private coaching? It's a very steep price, so I really have to evaluate if it'll improve my chances or not.

I have not done it

Can't hurt !!!!

Plus, may help bump you over the bottom person they hire, as in if you come in fourth without doing Capt Bob, vs having the coaching and coming in third and getting a JOB!!!!

I know where I would want to be.

I still do not understand some people complaining about having to pay to test, to get certs, to pay to travel for an interview????????

I guess they want to also give doctors a license, with out them going to school, Sure don't want that doctor working on me!!!

Have to put in the time around here to get a job, and sometimes money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fire5555 View Post
      I have not done it

Can't hurt !!!!

Plus, may help bump you over the bottom person they hire, as in if you come in fourth without doing Capt Bob, vs having the coaching and coming in third and getting a JOB!!!!

I know where I would want to be.

I still do not understand some people complaining about having to pay to test, to get certs, to pay to travel for an interview????????

I guess they want to also give doctors a license, with out them going to school, Sure don't want that doctor working on me!!!

Have to put in the time around here to get a job, and sometimes money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I'm not complaining about the price, I'm just tight with money.

Comment

Sorry it was not completely focused at you.

If it was me, looking for a career, I would find some way to get the money.

Ask family, friends grandma, etc to donate a few dollars, and tell them your goal.

Good luck

Have you tested and interviewed much already???

Comment

Sorry it was not completely focused at you.

If it was me, looking for a career, I would find some way to get the money.

Ask family, friends grandma, etc to donate a few dollars, and tell them your goal.

Good luck

Have you tested and interviewed much already???
          Haven't interviewed yet. But not looking at this one as practice. This is the one I want. I just want to know if the private coaching actually helps.

Comment

I am not connected with Capt Bob

But if you are putting everything into this one dept,, I am thinking I would go with someone that has been there and done it over and over.

There is no guarantee it is going to help, But I think you will see results, better than walk into an interview lost!!!!!!

Lucky for me I have not had to interview that many times, but I think someone coaching me would have helped a great deal.

Comment

You can always give Capt Bob a call

Talk to him, be straight with your concerns, and see how you feel after wards, than decide if you want to put out money or not!!!

Comment

Are you talking about Cpt Bob, or Rob from Interview911?

https://www.interview911.com/

Comment

look up 1-11 Fire Prep on Facebook. Its a pretty good resource. always have options my friend. heres the link :
                  https://www.facebook.com/fireinterviewprep/

Comment

I don't know what these services offer, but I can say it may be worth it. I've been involved in a significant number of hiring and promotions processes for the past 17 years (not including my own) I am always surprised at how unprepared some candidates are for interviewing (sorry not intending to increase the pressure).

A few general observations on interviews. Most I've been involved were run by a municipal hiring board (civil service board of sorts made up of lay people from the community) but then included a few chief officers and for promotions added one out of town chief officer).

The make up of the board can vary greatly, with some members looking for nearly polar opposite answers to the same question. The best bet is to be genuine and honest. It's not hard to spot people trying to give the answer they think people want to hear vs. the real deal. Rarely do these question have a right answer, it's how you answer and why you feel that way that is being analyzed.

Practice or otherwise find out how to lose the jitters, but not come off cocky. Confidence with believable humility?

Don't use stock textbook phrases or answers like: "I'm a people person" or "I just want to help people", these are too easy and, lets be honest, rarely the whole truth.

Lay people want to be confident that new hires will always be studying and trying to be better, that you truly care and want to improve the lives of others, while enjoying the job (camaraderie, schedule, security, family profession) and they love it when you have a connection to the community! If you are from there and live there great, if not, find a reason to want to make the community your home.

Department personnel want to be sure you'll follow the chain of command, while wanting to study and advance. We want people who will stay, and who will not be a liability in the station (gets along), in the field (knows the job follows orders) and outside work (social media, community).

If you've had prior issues of a legal nature you may want to put this out front and explain how you've grown from it. Often they know and if you don't come come clean, you may not be worth the perceived risk. We have a recently promoted a lieutenant that we thought wasn't going to be hired at all due to prior issues, but his initial interview story got him hired, and his years of proving he'd grown has made him an invaluable member of the department who is on a clear upward trajectory.

There are things to never say:
                    1. anything that diminishes your motivation, don't tell them you're lazy! Yes, I've seen that, more than once! Well maybe not as overt, but motivation or enthusiasm should not be one of your greatest weaknesses.
                    2. Anything that makes them question your ability to follow the rules. Yep, had one candidate explain how he refused to follow "silly" work rules at a job and was fired, but thanks the Union he'd been re-hired. Net result: not hired by FD. Odd thing was, everything else was great. Whole board collectively hung their heads as he stepped out of the room. No reason to have brought the topic up at all, and it was like he chose to shoot off his foot.

In the end departments and cities want to hire good people. Seriously, a good person. Maybe not the most certified, most fit, or smartest, but someone who truly understands right from wrong and will unquestionably do the right thing. That said, you have to be smart and fit enough and may have to posses minimum certifications to get to the interview...
                    Last edited by RFDACM02; 08-12-2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

1. I like the ones dressed for the beach, they get my vote.

2. The ones that come in and slouch in the chair, like they are bored to be there.

3. The ones that give only one or two sentences, surprised now a days, they do not bring out the cell and text the answer to you!!!!!!!!

Comment

1. I like the ones dressed for the beach, they get my vote.

2. The ones that come in and slouch in the chair, like they are bored to be there.

3. The ones that give only one or two sentences, surprised now a days, they do not bring out the cell and text the answer to you!!!!!!!!
                        The short answers with no follow up seems to be happening more and more. I'm sure many would rather text their answers or better yet, just give them the job they want, they deserve it for just showing interest.
                        Last edited by RFDACM02; 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM. Reason: keyboard caused misspelled words

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90