Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haz-Mat and FF1

Is Haz-Mat required for FF1?

AFAIK, FFI still only requires HazMat Awareness level training as part of the NFPA standard. It depends what your jurisdiction uses to define "FFI."
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
    sigpic
    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

In NJ, Hazmat Awareness and Hazmat Operations are part of the FFI curriculum. In a nutshell, you learn to recognize a need to find the orange book and then you learn to open the book, read a section, and call a Hazmat team. You also learn some basic Decon procedures.

Not anywhere near enough, in my opinion, to be of any valid use.
      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by CCFD1414 View Post
        Awareness and Ops are required in Washington State

Comment

When I first read this question, I interpreted it a bit differently than it seems those who have replied so far have. My interpretation was this was asking whether HazMat was a prerequisite for Firefighter I. I could be wrong. But to address that specific issue, I can only say that in Maryland, Firefighter I has no prerequisites at all, period. However, some counties (if not all) have specified that in order for a person to function as a firefighter, that person must also have taken a HazMat course. Some may still only require Awareness, I'm not sure; my county requires Operations.
          -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Originally posted by CCFD1414 View Post
            In the Commonwealth of Virginia and also by the NPFA standards it is.
            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I believe the new NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 is a course combined of FF1, Haz-Mat Ops, and First Aid CPR. In WV this has been the new curriculum. ALL courses must be completed before receiving credit for ANY of them.

Comment

If I remember correctly, in Wisconsin they made OPs a requirement to get your FF1 certificate.
                I can't remember 100% though... Dickey? Fyred? Can either of you back me up or correct me?
                "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X