Tell us in less then 500 word why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell us in less then 500 word why?

Why do some FD ask for us to write a 250 to 500 word essay about why we want to work for their department? I undersatnd that they don't want to be a setpping stone for someone, but am sure that most of us don't look at it like that( at less i don't). I know that sometimes we have an idea that we want to really work somewhere and never really give thought to what other FD have to offer. So I guess I'll keep saying what I have been saying I'll go to which ever FD calls me first and give my self to them cause of the faith and trust they have in me. I guess my question to all this is what is a good way to express to them why their FD. I mean I can tell them Population, Budget, number of FF/medic ect... but that they already know. If anyone can help... please help. thanks

because they first told you gullible wanst in the dicitonary and u went to check!
    azzholes n elbowz........lets move people

Comment

This is your chance

Use the essay as an opportunity to explain to the department what you know about the "inside" workings, or why you REALLY want to work there. Do not quote the number of stations/apparatus/personnel/call volume etc... This is your chance to tell them what you really know. Like, what are the guys like? How involved is the union/association in the community, what do the guys do together for fun? Any sports teams you like? What about special oppotunities like SWAT medic, HAZMAT, preceptor, etc?

Doing station visits will help you get an idea of what a department is truly like. Sure everyone wants to work on an engine or truck company, but learn more about the personnel and the inner workings. Use this to your advantage when writing your essay. Show some things you have in common with the personnel. Maybe there is a softball team and you played baseball through high school or college...Who knows.

Also remember, who do you think will read your essay right before your interview? Your interview panel for sure....probably even the Fire Chief before your Chief's interview...

Comment

Also if you can write an essay you can write a run ticket.
        NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
        IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

The content of the essay is maybe not even half of what they are looking for. A big reason for the essay is to see if you know how to write and communicate coherently. You may ace every multiple choice test and set records in the physical but if you can't communicate ideas in writing or show an orderly reasoning intellect (nor fill out a run sheet like Ryan said), you are not who they want.
          You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
          IACOJ Power Company Liason
          When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
          and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Originally posted by rubenb1978 View Post
            Why do some FD ask for us to write a 250 to 500 word essay about why we want to work for their department?
            You could change the focus slightly and turn the essay towards why you want to EMS work as a career. For example: "I like to help people. I want to work as an EMT. Your department has a good reputation. I like the people whom I've met here. I think I could fit in and do good work."

I guess my thinking here is that if your passion is to work for that one department, then say so. But if your passion is to do EMS work, then get that excitement and enthusiasm across in your essay and make it clear that you see working for that particular department as a good way to reach the goal that you are truly concerned about.

Or you could just lie, and turn the whole essay into a creative-writing exercise :-). Nah. Don't do that.

Well, that's my two-cents for today. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
              Also if you can write an essay you can write a run ticket.
              How's this:

"Found patient prostrate at the alter of job-despair. Chief complaint was "I just want to help people!" Took control of patient's education. Administered EMT-B training both orally and visually. Patient's enthusiasm-level rebounded to the high-end of normal limits. Transported patient to employer. Gave good report. Assisted patient in taking his essay. Patient now fully-employed."

:-)

BTW, I write and edit books and magazine articles for a living, and a few of my first run reports were embarrassingly poor. There's a bit of knack to writing those, especially when under time-pressure. My respect to those who've climbed the learning curve ahead of me.

(Apologies in advance if my sense-of-humor is just too weird)

Comment

Jonathan, I have a question for you regarding your editing career. Would you be willing to enable your PMs or email for a few minutes so I can contact you? Or send me an email at sherwalk at hotmail.com if you prefer.

Thanks!
                September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
                Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                  Jonathan, I have a question for you regarding your editing career. Would you be willing to enable your PMs or email for a few minutes so I can contact you? Or send me an email at sherwalk at hotmail.com if you prefer.
                  Sure. I'll shoot you an email. And I don't have PMs enabled? I'll see about fixing that too.

Comment

Well this sucks, I can't go back and edit my post to get rid of my email address.

Got your email, thanks very much! Replying now.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
                    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Sorry I'm late...but

Originally posted by rubenb1978 View Post
                      So I guess I'll keep saying what I have been saying I'll go to which ever FD calls me first and give my self to them cause of the faith and trust they have in me.
                      I know you mean the best with this, and it does hint at loyalty, but apply it to any other job, for example, accounting. Would you say, "I just want to work as an accountant, if you give me a job I will overlook the sweat shop you operate." I would hope not.

Give them something that shows you at least looked them up on a map, and know something about the department, like OCFirePM said. Don't 'mass-apply' and see what happens. Don't get me wrong, apply often and everywhere you like, but treat each one seperate, put the effort in to learn the department, and be proactive about the process.

That's what I think the essay is for, to prove a genuine interest in THEIR department, not ANY department.

Comment

I agree with many of the posters above but I also have a different spin on things. I am amazed at the poor grammar, spelling, and punctuation on this and other websites. I guarantee fire departments are using this as a barometer for their entry level candidates.

I proctored a promotional exam recently where the aspiring Captains were given one half hour to write an essay on a fire department related topic. I was very unimpressed with their writing skills. For the record, these candidates had to hand write their essay. They did not have the benefit of a spell checker on the confuser.

Lastly, how does it look to have a report from one of your officers on the projection screen in the courthouse that looks like it was written by an illiterate teen ager. As a bunch we as firefighters are pretty uneducated.

I had a Deputy Chief tell me years ago that we can hire firefighters all day long. He was looking for someone who can be an officer in 10 years, a BC in 15, and maybe the future fire chief.

Paul Lepore
                        Battalion Chief
                        www.aspiringfirefighters.com
                        Paul Lepore
                        Battalion Chief
                        www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

when someone asks me why I do this job, I always give them the same answer

Cause chicks dig guys in uniform
                          If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
                            Well this sucks, I can't go back and edit my post to get rid of my email address.

Got your email, thanks very much! Replying now.
                            Ha Ha, All the SPAM you can handle, and some you can't, coming your way Sher.

(I wouldn't reeeaaalllly do that )
                            Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by mcaldwell View Post
                              Ha Ha, All the SPAM you can handle, and some you can't, coming your way Sher.

(I wouldn't reeeaaalllly do that )
                              You're such a brat!

Sheri
                              Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader