Leader

Collapse

besides training...what else for complete a noobie?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andym85
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2010

besides training...what else for complete a noobie?

so im 24 years old and bored with life....and am starting to realize i think i belong in a pubic service sector...where my job actually means something and where i get to help people.

i have been reading up a lot lately on what it takes to become a firefighter...about the cpat, written test, oral boards, etc.

im from louisville, ky and i know they just got finished hiring for the year...which is good, because my cardio sucks.

so i know i obviously need to physically train...but are there any other certs that they like to see during the the application process? like cpr for example.
    basically i just want to know anything and everything that can help me during the appication process aside from the physical aspect.
    i do have my degree in a completely unrelated field (finance).

someone just point me in the right direction!!

thanks for any help!
    andy
  • andym85
    Forum Member
    • Jan 2010

basically im just wanting to know if an average joe can walk in, take the test, pass the cpat and get in the academy? or if they like you to have some qualifications before even applying?

what is the process after u pass the written test and the cpat? do u get put on a waiting list and just sit around and wait for a call to get in the academy?

Comment

• zzyyzx
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Aug 2009

Yes, yes and yes. Requirements vary from dept to dept. Many depts in the midwest will put you through their own academy, so you'll get everything they want you to have. However, it doesn't hurt if you have taken a little initiative on your end to read/study some career related information. Check with the depts you plan on applying with to be sure what they require.

Every process will be a little different, but what usually happens (in some order or another) is a written test, CPAT/physical fitness test and then an oral interview. Some depts may do something like an aerial climb or something else in this phase also. Then a list is generated, usually ranked solely on the oral interview score. This is where the waiting process begins.

Depending on how many spots the dept plans on hiring, they may only process the first couple candidates at a time. If they successfully pass the remaining stages (background investigation and usually, medical, psych and possibly a poly) then they wait until the dept puts them on payroll to begin the academy, which could be months. It's a long waiting game. Sometimes no news is good news, other times it means you're no longer in contention. I remember waiting weeks after my polygraph thinking they must not have liked something and then all of a sudden getting a call to report for a medical exam in 2 days.

The entire process can take quite a while, usually over a year. Before you start, I would suggest doing some deep soul searching and make sure this is really something you want to do. Get a tour of your local station (or where you plan on applying) and see if they offer a ride-out program so you can experience the life more before you embark. To do this right, you will invest a lot of time, rearrange your schedule a lot and probably spend some cash taking tests and driving around.

Comment

• andym85
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2010

thanks man...that helped.

ive been trying to figure life out since i graduated college. im just tired of working jobs where i feel like its doesnt matter....like who the hell is gonna care if i dont do or do something correctly and in a timely fashion. i feel like i should be at a place where my job matters...where if i dont do my job then bad **** happens. i think i need a job that directly impacts a person's life.

or i could be way off...lol...like u said, soul searching...which im still doing...

i guess for now i will get myself in shape for this, and think about it more...and when the time comes, either get in the game, or sit on the sidelines...

apprectiate the response!

Comment

• fieryred943
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2000

you have to look at how badly do you want to get on the department you are applying for. you can get the "standard" minimum or do you want to stand out, show them you want to be there. Reason being there are 100's of other people that want that same position...so the more you stick out the more chance you have of being accepted.

leadership/volunteering in the community/all your first aid/cpr/aed certs. Depending on the department they may require paramedics, or just emt have to do your homework. Go talk to the guys at the local firehall, I am sure they would be willing to point you in the right direction.

lastly you have to answer why do I want to be a firefighter? Probably one of the most important questions you have to be able to answer to yourself and an oral board. if it is because you want to walk around saying i am a firefighter and ride the truck and go woo woo and pick up girls...you might want to rethink your career choice.

being that I am a gal (10 years - career dept), the whole i am firefighter doesn't seem to sway the guys . Plus my hubby(former firefighter) would be a little p.o'd.

anyhow know why you are getting into it and what to expect with shift work. if you haven't experienced shift work...might be something that doesn't sit well with you. personally I hate straight days, I prefer shift work.

cheers and good luck

Comment

• fvfdstation4
            Forum Member
            • Jun 2006

Since you are in Kentucky you should check on getting your IFSAC FF-1, FF-2 and hazmat ops and awareness from the Kentucky fire commission. IFSAC is accepted in most states in the US and a few different country's. That would help and be a good start. Also depending on the department, having a degree not related to the fire service doesn't matter, all that matters is that you have a degree which will help a lot.

Comment

• Firefighter4life91
              Forum Member
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by andym85
              so im 24 years old and bored with life....and am starting to realize i think i belong in a pubic service sector...where my job actually means something and where i get to help people.

i have been reading up a lot lately on what it takes to become a firefighter...about the cpat, written test, oral boards, etc.

im from louisville, ky and i know they just got finished hiring for the year...which is good, because my cardio sucks.

so i know i obviously need to physically train...but are there any other certs that they like to see during the the application process? like cpr for example.
              basically i just want to know anything and everything that can help me during the appication process aside from the physical aspect.
              i do have my degree in a completely unrelated field (finance).

someone just point me in the right direction!!

thanks for any help!
              andy

Even though most any fire dept. will let you in since they are happy to see people willing to help, they would "like" to see someone who can lift a decent amount of weight. Obivously you should be able to lift a good bit. (especially if you want to be on a Search & Rescue battalion or unit.) Also, most all hoses are heavy, especially when they are charged (have water flow so to speak). That will help you get an even better image when you start out as a "Probie". The senior members and guys with some experience will give you the typical probie jokes and mess with you. However, if you walk in there and you're able to do the big business when it comes to getting things done, they will learn to leave you alone a little bit. Being a probie is fun though. The guys dont mess with you to be bullies, but to teach you in a "fun" manner lol. Take care, good luck, and welcome to the world of firefighting.
              Last edited by Firefighter4life91; 04-21-2010, 08:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...