21m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21m

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if being in the Military as a 21M(firefighter), would i have to go threw the tests and qualifications to become a civilian firefighter?

thanks for the help

Most FD's require that you pass the entry test and rank high enough to make the selection. Many offer additional points to veterans. You need to research where you would like to live and work and meet the qualifications of the department. Qualifications and testing methods vary greatly between cities and states.

Most FD's require EMT or paramedic certification. While military fire experience will not necessarily get you a job, it certainly will not hurt and may be a benefit if you get called for an interview or oral panel.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Well Shifty....What kind of fire certifications do you have?

I did FF in te military also and many Human Resource departments do not know how to translate military experience to what the job title states. So unless you have the same certifications the department is looking for...better look into schooling then. Somewhere where there is a fire academy and get your state certifications.

It is quite hard today to walk out of the military as a FF and onto a Fire Dept. Also the dept may require state certifications and even if hired you still need to do all the testing and stuff as well. You'll have a bit of an advantage having already been a FF.

Some depts will take general qualifications (DL, 18, HS diploma/GED). You are up against everybody else, but should get military points which help. Also as the above post states...get your EMT or Paramedic...many depts look for that as well.

So really...don't expect to walk right onto a FD, because you did it in the service. My advice would be...use that GI Bill money, find a school, get an A.S. in Fire Science or a B.S. somewhere, get your state certifications and EMT. You can still apply for jobs while going to school, but education is a great way to go. Besides, you earned your benefits, might as well use them.
      The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Shifty,
        Yes, you will have to go through the tests just like everyone else. Your military experience will be respected by the firefighters, but you need to remember we have lots of candidates from which to choose.
        Get your education now while you can. If you are still in the military take online classes. I am currently enrolled at www.coastline.edu

The competition is feirce. My department is testing to establish a list that will be good for three years. We had a low turnout by our standards (5100). We have plenty of candidates with military experience, paramedics, electricians, fire science degrees and anything else you can imagine. While military experience is definitely highly respected, it's only one piece of the puzzle. You need to bring more to the table.

Thanks for making our world safer. Stay safe brother!

Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief
        www.aspiringfirefighters.com
        Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief
        www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola