Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoosierdaddy
    replied
    Congratulations. Keep up the good work. Hope to take it myself some day.

Leave a comment:

• enginegirl1
    replied
    congrats!!

Farmgurl we knew you could do it. Great job!!

I too am taking Fire I and everything is going smooth. Hard work pays off. You go girl! Have fun and be safe.

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    Congrats!

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• farmgurlEMT68
    replied
    Hey Everyone

I just thought I would let you all know that I passed my practicals!!!!!!!!! I was one of two people who didn't have to do any redos. I was also the only girl there testing (there was one older lady doing the paperwork). I also did my live burn and it was awesome!!! I did everything the guys did inculding climbing the 35 footer and climbing through the window!!!! I am know just waiting on my written results.

Thanks Everyone!!!

Leave a comment:

• clark918
    replied
    Just thought I should add something. A little bit of advice. When you are taking your State Practical Exam, and you are in your first station getting dressed in a set time, don't put your helmet on backwards. : ) Some GUY in my class did that and was gone before he even got to do any real stations. It's the same guy that I went into a live training fire with, and he opened the nozzle only 1/3 of the way. You'd think that he'd notice that it was a bad idea when the fire kept growing.. The instructors went crazy. haha So there's another thing that kind of proves that being a girl has nothing to do with it. Could any of those guys honestly say that they want this guy instead of a girl that knows how to do the job? I doubt it. Keep up the good work and you'll be fine. Your actions will speak a lot louder than their words.

Leave a comment:

• Jonnee
    replied
    LOL If you passed the EMT class and like it, then you should be able to stand on you head and get the FF1 and other classes without any problem.

Most folks have trouble with EMT and not the FF courses.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    No whining if it were easy you'd be a cop.
    Two of the guys on my old vollie department are Sheriff's Deputies.They've seen some rough stuff on both jobs so what makes this job easy?

As to the skills,when we had the FFI and II skills tests when I was back in Kentucky,a couple members were a little uneasy about the tests.I pointed out that most of the skills were things we'd seen on the various calls we'd made,or were things we did in everyday life like checking a lawnmower for gas and fuel is similar to checking out a portable generator,the jaws pump,or a vent fan.
    Finding a context or similarity to a task that you can already do is helpful.If you still can't get it,do what has already been advised and take any practice classes offered before the big test.
    Also,on test day or any extra training class we have away from the department,we'd gather at a local restaraunt and eat a good breakfast,and deflate each other's egos some so we had a chance to relax before going to prove we knew our stuff.

Leave a comment:

• KenNFD1219
    replied
    Are you using the IFSTA "Essentials of Fire Fighting" book? If so, make sure you buy and use the study guide. It will help prepare you pass the unit quizzes and the certification exam.

Leave a comment:

• farmgurlEMT68
    replied
    Hey everyone

Thanks for all of your advice!! I have really thorwn myself into my class and things are really getting better. As for the guys who were giving me a hard time they tried to start some stuff a couple of classes ago and instead of taking it I defened myself with words and told them if they tried anything again I would tell the instuctor and told them I wasnt kidding I would really would tell and I was completly serious. This scared them enough that they stopped. So thanks for everything and I am still really trying hard but my grade is just below a 70 and I need a 70 to go to states so I am really trying but only have a few more tests so hopefully I will get to go but if not there is another class going on right after this so I will sign back up but hopefully I wont have to. So thanks for everything espically the advice to stand up for myself. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• KenNFD1219
    replied
    farmgurlEMT68:
    I read another post of yours where you stated that other students pushed you and shut off you air tank. Both of these actions are completely unacceptable. It is one thing to have some razzing between classmates, however, physically pushing someone or shutting off their air tank should be grounds for immediate dismissal from the class.

Are the instructors aware of this situation?

Practice your skills, even if you need to recruit someone from your department to help.

Leave a comment:

• thomas15
    replied
    When I took the FF1 practical test there were guys of the line backer type that fizzled and went home early, froze on the 3rd floor ground ladder rescue and or failed the written test.

On the other hand, I saw a young woman all of about 125 Lbs do all the exercises with ease. It all comes down to determination, preparation and confidence. Truthfully, If I can do it, at age 48, thinning hair and less than 150 Lbs weight, any one can. Some of the guys that are talking big will struggle when it comes to crunch time. As Capt Gonzo alludes, prepare yourself, ask questions and volunteer to be the first to do things. If you make a mistake during the demonstration, you will have learned the task by doing it wrong. You will not repeat that mistake when it matters most. Those that think they know everything are going to be in for a surprise. Practice everything, knots, folding salvage tarps (use a bandana), donning /duffing TOG-SCBA, pulling hand lines, deploying high rise pack, know parts of ground ladders, etc... Concentrate only on ff1 things. Hang in there and show them.

Leave a comment:

• hangman
    replied
    Dont quit

Originally posted by farmgurlEMT68 View Post
    Hi Everyone

I am new to this whole fire/ems service advetnure. I just got my EMT which was a little diffcult and then started my fire 1 class and omg is it hard!! I am failing the class and really struggling with everything but the praticals are killing me! Any advice on what to do will be great I do study but i just dont get it. Any other reference books out there I can use and what about the praticals. Also the guys in the class are really giving me a hard time ( i am 1 0f 2 girls) any advice on how to deal with that are they just trying to see if i can handle it and be one of the guys? I am really sruggling here and I want to succed but I am afaid I wont anything will help.

Thanks
    If you can pass EMT you can definitely pass Fire 1. Maybe you are not as interested in the aspect of fire related topics.The practicals are tough but that is where you have the opportunity to excel.Show the guys who are giving you a hard time that you are stronger than them. Try your hardest and you will excel. Noone can ask more from you! I am in my 40s and have been through alot. Not only did I pass EMT but also got through FF2 all within 1 year and recently got hired as a full time career FF in a big city. DONT GIVE UP!!!

Leave a comment:

• mattc05
    replied
    Originally posted by Geinandputitout View Post

I think she'd make a great cop

Leave a comment:

• Geinandputitout
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ekloosterm
    replied
    Just listen and remember to study. learn your knots that was a tough spot for me.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X