Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Fire 1

Hi Everyone

I am new to this whole fire/ems service advetnure. I just got my EMT which was a little diffcult and then started my fire 1 class and omg is it hard!! I am failing the class and really struggling with everything but the praticals are killing me! Any advice on what to do will be great I do study but i just dont get it. Any other reference books out there I can use and what about the praticals. Also the guys in the class are really giving me a hard time ( i am 1 0f 2 girls) any advice on how to deal with that are they just trying to see if i can handle it and be one of the guys? I am really sruggling here and I want to succed but I am afaid I wont anything will help.

Thanks

Firefighter 1 is a breeze compared to getting your EMT certification.

Get your own personeal copy of the the IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting or Jones and Bartlett's version of the book, depending on which edition the certifying agency is using.

Be the first to volunteer for demonstrations... when it comes time for grading, you will have done it already and know where your weaknesses are so you can improve on them. Watch each demonstration and make mental notes.

Keep practicing things like knots, ladder raises, fireground hydraulics, etc. The skills you don't practice and use are the ones you forget first.

Pay attention in lectures. Whatever is said in class can and may show up on an exam.

As far as those giving you a hard time... show them a chink in your armor, they will keep picking at it.

When they give you a hard time, ask them point blank what their problem is. Most will go "duh..... I don't know"

Don't try to use feminine charm as a way to get sympathy.. all things considered, you are "one of the guys" for all intents and purposes.

The fireground doesn't ask age, sex, creed or color... it kills firefighters despite what they are.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Exactly what I thought Gonz. I thought EMT was WAY harder than Firefighter 1. I'm still in EMT, and took Fire 1 last semester.

What exactly are you having trouble with? I was one of the few from all of the classes not to fail a station even once at my practical. However, I was also one of the youngest, and probably THE smallest. You just have to believe in yourself. I was scared when we first learned ladders. The instructors and other students could even tell. They all had my back though and got me through it. I feel bad for you that the guys in your class are like that. Because they are what helped me.

My point is, I know you can do it if you really want it bad enough. You may just need to stay after with some instructors and some other students. I'm sure some of the other guys wouldn't mind the extra training. I hope that helped a little. If you have any specific questions just let me know. I'm only 19 so I'm going through all of the same classes myself.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I really do want this a lot and I am going to talk to some of the other guys about staying after and studying more. I think the hardest thing overall for me is that I have only been in for 8 months total and the majority of the calls I have been on have been medical and I have only been to 2 fires so I am starting from the ground up. Also I am one of the youngest as I am also 19. But thanks for your adivce and I am going to put ever more determantion into this then ever.

Thanks!

Comment

First Off

First Off, Ignore the guys. It's too bad but some have to have the whole me man, you woman, me better than you attitude. It's hard but ignore it and prove them wrong!!! What exactly are you having trouble with??? I'm Michigan Firefighter 1 and 2 , along with being a EMT and EMT school was way harder than Firefighter school. Either way a little more detail in your posts and we might be able to help more

Comment

Everyone starts from the ground up. No one was born with the instinctual knowledge of everything needed to be a great firefighter. Some people might seem like naturals, but I guarantee you they may have read a book or two, and taken a class or two in their day as well.

Also, going on calls,w ithout knowing what's going on or how to do anything, isn't going to make FF1 any easier for you. You're in that class to learn the hows and whys of what's going on.

Like was said though, what specifically are your problem areas. Ladders? Ventialtion? Hose Advancement? The list could go on and on. There is plenty of experience and knowledge on these forums. Ask, and ye shall recieve.

Comment

Just listen and remember to study. learn your knots that was a tough spot for me.

Comment

No whining if it were easy you'd be a cop.

Comment

Originally posted by Geinandputitout View Post

I think she'd make a great cop

Comment

Dont quit

Originally posted by farmgurlEMT68 View Post
                    Hi Everyone

I am new to this whole fire/ems service advetnure. I just got my EMT which was a little diffcult and then started my fire 1 class and omg is it hard!! I am failing the class and really struggling with everything but the praticals are killing me! Any advice on what to do will be great I do study but i just dont get it. Any other reference books out there I can use and what about the praticals. Also the guys in the class are really giving me a hard time ( i am 1 0f 2 girls) any advice on how to deal with that are they just trying to see if i can handle it and be one of the guys? I am really sruggling here and I want to succed but I am afaid I wont anything will help.

Thanks
                    If you can pass EMT you can definitely pass Fire 1. Maybe you are not as interested in the aspect of fire related topics.The practicals are tough but that is where you have the opportunity to excel.Show the guys who are giving you a hard time that you are stronger than them. Try your hardest and you will excel. Noone can ask more from you! I am in my 40s and have been through alot. Not only did I pass EMT but also got through FF2 all within 1 year and recently got hired as a full time career FF in a big city. DONT GIVE UP!!!

Comment

When I took the FF1 practical test there were guys of the line backer type that fizzled and went home early, froze on the 3rd floor ground ladder rescue and or failed the written test.

On the other hand, I saw a young woman all of about 125 Lbs do all the exercises with ease. It all comes down to determination, preparation and confidence. Truthfully, If I can do it, at age 48, thinning hair and less than 150 Lbs weight, any one can. Some of the guys that are talking big will struggle when it comes to crunch time. As Capt Gonzo alludes, prepare yourself, ask questions and volunteer to be the first to do things. If you make a mistake during the demonstration, you will have learned the task by doing it wrong. You will not repeat that mistake when it matters most. Those that think they know everything are going to be in for a surprise. Practice everything, knots, folding salvage tarps (use a bandana), donning /duffing TOG-SCBA, pulling hand lines, deploying high rise pack, know parts of ground ladders, etc... Concentrate only on ff1 things. Hang in there and show them.
                      FF/EMT

Comment

farmgurlEMT68:
                        I read another post of yours where you stated that other students pushed you and shut off you air tank. Both of these actions are completely unacceptable. It is one thing to have some razzing between classmates, however, physically pushing someone or shutting off their air tank should be grounds for immediate dismissal from the class.

Are the instructors aware of this situation?

Practice your skills, even if you need to recruit someone from your department to help.
                        -------------------
                        "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                        -----------------------------------------------
                        Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Hey everyone

Thanks for all of your advice!! I have really thorwn myself into my class and things are really getting better. As for the guys who were giving me a hard time they tried to start some stuff a couple of classes ago and instead of taking it I defened myself with words and told them if they tried anything again I would tell the instuctor and told them I wasnt kidding I would really would tell and I was completly serious. This scared them enough that they stopped. So thanks for everything and I am still really trying hard but my grade is just below a 70 and I need a 70 to go to states so I am really trying but only have a few more tests so hopefully I will get to go but if not there is another class going on right after this so I will sign back up but hopefully I wont have to. So thanks for everything espically the advice to stand up for myself. Thanks

Comment

Are you using the IFSTA "Essentials of Fire Fighting" book? If so, make sure you buy and use the study guide. It will help prepare you pass the unit quizzes and the certification exam.
                            -------------------
                            "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                            -----------------------------------------------
                            Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Originally posted by Geinandputitout View Post
                              Two of the guys on my old vollie department are Sheriff's Deputies.They've seen some rough stuff on both jobs so what makes this job easy?

As to the skills,when we had the FFI and II skills tests when I was back in Kentucky,a couple members were a little uneasy about the tests.I pointed out that most of the skills were things we'd seen on the various calls we'd made,or were things we did in everyday life like checking a lawnmower for gas and fuel is similar to checking out a portable generator,the jaws pump,or a vent fan.
                              Finding a context or similarity to a task that you can already do is helpful.If you still can't get it,do what has already been advised and take any practice classes offered before the big test.
                              Also,on test day or any extra training class we have away from the department,we'd gather at a local restaraunt and eat a good breakfast,and deflate each other's egos some so we had a chance to relax before going to prove we knew our stuff.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X