Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doughesson
    replied
    When I was in the Navy,I had to repeat parts of Boiler Technician A school due to lack of academic motivation.
    I apparently did well enough even though failing tests that they thought I would make a good BT and kept me in.Either that or they wanted to see how much I' take before opting to take myself out of the school and report to the fleet as an undesignated E-3.
    It sounds like a case of if they had wanted you out of the school,they'd have gotten you out of it instead of recycling you for another try.
    Go back through and try not to get hurt this time.And if you see any classmate having trouble with something you've breezed through,bear a hand and help him/her understand the material.The guy in your class today is going to be backing you up in the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Mihlrad
    replied
    Not to sound like a dick or anything, but i highly doubt any of the people here are academy instructors where you are. So is there really any sense posting what is basically not fixable by members here? The only way around not retaking everything you already did (most likely) is if the written rules of the academy do not state anything involving this matter that requires you to retake every class.

On the bright side, like everyone else said, when the class starts again, you will be experienced compared to the others. Also, if you get the same instructors maybe they will be a slight bit easier on you seeing as you are determined enough to go through the entire class again even with the injury from the first time.

Good luck to you. Keep at it.

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    not necessarily dictating, just repeating what was beat into my brain.

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• mattc05
    replied
    Wow, in rookie school and already dictating the curriculum? Not good son

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    Originally posted by ColoradoFireGuy View Post
    Dont take DFartman too seriously, He just finished his academy and from what i can tell... is going to be the kinda rook that get a reality check on day 1.

Dude, you screwed up... you got a 2nd chance... u move on! Share the experience w/ others and be better caus of it!

wow.. I would have figured you would think it'd be common sense to not let go of a halyard on the ladder you were just raising (unless ya verified the pawls and dogs were locked)... (common sense must not be standard nowdays) I may have just finished an IFSAC accredited academy, but i also have 7+ years of Navy firefighting (Aircraft and shipboard structural) training and have been a member of a vollie department since June. my day 1 was quite a while ago.. but thanks for playing.

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• ColoradoFireGuy
    replied
    Dont take DFartman too seriously, He just finished his academy and from what i can tell... is going to be the kinda rook that get a reality check on day 1.

Dude, you screwed up... you got a 2nd chance... u move on! Share the experience w/ others and be better caus of it!

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    The only thing I think that I could add is to take the oppourtunity to assist the newer probies with skills, tasks, and studying. This will show your leadership and willingness to do the job.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• RMFD8469
    replied
    I got it guys, Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• DFurtman
    replied
    Just as what BCLepore stated, You released the halyard.. why would you ever let go of a halyard on a fly you are raising unless you have verified the ladder is locked? you can still control a ladder while still maintaining control of the halyard. you are lucky that they are allowing you another chance. think of this as a way to get extra time to study or see things again.

hopefully no one gets injured next time.

-Damien

Leave a comment:

• DocVBFDE14
    replied
    Originally posted by RMFD8469 View Post
    You guys are missing what I said. They are making me go through the whole thing again. from scratch. I continued on schedule right after i got hurt. I just didn't get to do a few (3) practicals. I finished ALL of the classwork and testing on each topic.
    This is classic new school rookies. No body understands them. Woo is them. The world is out to get them.

Leave a comment:

• BCLepore
    replied
    You wrote:
    "But to me this feels like I'm being puninshed for getting injured. Has anyone else ever had anything similar happen to them?"

Here's the deal. You released the halyard. YOU "thought" the dogs were locked. You got hurt because of YOUR (and your partner's) mistake.

Let me make it simple. The department is in NO WAY OBLIGATED to give you another opportunity. You should count your blessings.

For the record, if this was the last class off of the current eligibility list, the department couldn't recycle you even if they wanted to.

You should count your blessings you are being given a second chance. If the department senses anything other than sheer gratitude you will find yourself looking for another job.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Leave a comment:

• callaway75
    replied
    Flashback!!

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Welcome to the best job in the world that you will be bitching and moaning about for the next 20 to 30 years.

Don't want to go through the Academy again?

Want some "advice cheese" to go with that "whine?"

Resign. I guarantee there is a long line of firefighter candidates that would be willing to take your place in a heartbeat!

Generation "whine" at it's best...
    DC Gonz, You just made me have a flashback of an old school, irish, crusty instructor from probie school. That was a favorite saying of his "Do you F-ing probies want a little cheese to go with that whine."LOL!! You couldn't be more correct. Some guys just don't realize what they have!!
    Last edited by callaway75; 02-18-2007, 11:05 AM. Reason: miss type

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by FranktheTank View Post
    Man o Man
    Rookies never change. I did Probie school twice due to an injury, i had to start from the very first day. Gues what I am still alive and well and I dont regret it at all. I walked out first in my class, and ten years on I can still remember the work

So stop complaining and be greatfull you get a second time around, because on my second group a guy was injured and never recovered he is depended on his wife these days and cant work at all. Although he visits us every day at the fire house, you can see the sorrow in his eyes.

So cheer up and take it head on
    FranktheTank.. welcome to the forums!

Your post is proof that all around the world, it's the same circus.. the only things that change is the names of the clowns and the size of the show!

Leave a comment:

• FranktheTank
    replied
    Man o Man
    Rookies never change. I did Probie school twice due to an injury, i had to start from the very first day. Gues what I am still alive and well and I dont regret it at all. I walked out first in my class, and ten years on I can still remember the work

So stop complaining and be greatfull you get a second time around, because on my second group a guy was injured and never recovered he is depended on his wife these days and cant work at all. Although he visits us every day at the fire house, you can see the sorrow in his eyes.

So cheer up and take it head on

Leave a comment:

• CaptainGonzo
    replied
    Welcome to the best job in the world that you will be bitching and moaning about for the next 20 to 30 years.

Don't want to go through the Academy again?

Want some "advice cheese" to go with that "whine?"

Resign. I guarantee there is a long line of firefighter candidates that would be willing to take your place in a heartbeat!

Generation "whine" at it's best...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-17-2007, 11:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X