Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recycled???

Hello,

I started the recruit academy for my department on october 9th, '06. We have a week and a half to go now. On dec. 22nd, Myself and another recruit were raising a 35ft two section ladder in ground ladders class. I was on the halyard. Well, the ladder began to fall and it was almost fully extended. I instinctively tried to help my partner regain control of the ladder. When I let go of the halyard, the dogs were not locked, I thought they were, so the fly sec. came sliding down and struck my right pinky finger. It cut right through my glove, and basically took all the skin and flesh off the top of the finger for about an inch. Also, it ripped the tendon away from the bone. I was taken to the hospital and was treated and released. I saw an orthopoedist the next week and was placed on light duty. Long story short, I was unable to coplete ladders, search and survival, and fire streams due to the injury and the splint/wrapping. I have passed, with an 80 or better, EVERY single FFI and II class and certification test, even the ones that I just listed, (I was just unable to do the practicals).
    Today I was pulled from class (structural fire attack began today, simulated) And told that I was to be "recycled" and would have to go back through recruit training with the next group of new hires beginning in august. I am heartbroken and don't know exactly what to do now. This academy has been the absolute hardest thing I have ever been through. All this time, I have been under the impression that I would just have to make up the practicals that I missed at the first available opportunity. Now they put this on me, saying, not in so many words that, "if you want to stay, this is what you'll do. I have no problem making up what I need to. No problem at all, I've been expecting that. But to me this feels like I'm being puninshed for getting injured. Has anyone else ever had anything similar happen to them?

Happens everyday in the military. If you get injured in basic training they put you back to another company starting where you got injured.

In your case...yeah that sucks, but really is it that bad? Maybe you just have to redo the stuff you missed and instead of doing it one on one, they'll wait until there are more. This way you are still part of a team. All the practicals for FF1, FF2 etc are done as a team.

Look at it this way...you'll already have all the knowledge from class and you have a great opportunity to serve as a role model and mentor to those in the new class. Make the best of the situation given to you.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

I have to re-do it all....starting with orientation day... the P.T. at 6 every morning... the bag lunch every day.... just like a new hire.

Comment

If you really want the job, you'll do what it takes to get through the Academy.. even starting at the point where you left.

The Massachusetts Fire Academy does the same thing.. go out injured in a recruit class, you come back and pick up where you left off.

Those are the breaks, but as my signature states... the firehouse isn't a democracy and it ain't Utopia.. suck it up and deal with it!

PS: I hope you learned from the incident that you always make sure to check to see if this "person" is on the ladder....

"Pawlz R. Locked!"
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

You guys are missing what I said. They are making me go through the whole thing again. from scratch. I continued on schedule right after i got hurt. I just didn't get to do a few (3) practicals. I finished ALL of the classwork and testing on each topic.

Comment

Originally posted by RMFD8469 View Post
            You guys are missing what I said. They are making me go through the whole thing again. from scratch. I continued on schedule right after i got hurt. I just didn't get to do a few (3) practicals. I finished ALL of the classwork and testing on each topic.
            It is not we missed what you said...it is you didn't pick up on some advice. I don't know how your department operates and this can be normal SOG. The thing is you have not completed the academy because of your injury. If completing everything is the requirement to get the badge than so be it. Even though you are in training, you are not a sworn FF until you have the badge.

Make the best of the situation, you will be heads above the rest, this is a chance to shine. Look at it this way...they are not kicking you out, you are an investment, you are still getting paid. You may have to suck up some office type work for awhile, and meaningless tasks, but you still will get to be a FF. I doubt you are losing any seniority and once you graduate with the next class you'll be right where you want to be. You are being given a pretty good deal....you don't have to go through all the job testing stuff again.
            The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

RMFD, It sucks that you have to repeat probie school, but it ain't a bad deal considering you could have been bounced entirely. A recruit from my job was injured in the academy not too long ago and got rolled back, he said it was much easier the second time because he kept in shape, and knew what to expect. Help the guys out in the next class, and don't get too down about it. Keep your chin up, the reward is worth the hard work, believe me. This job gets better every day..

Comment

We understand what you have said! Every one who posted has had some good points mentioned. And whats the big deal? I know it sucks or what not, but atleast you still will have the job right? Is it right? I don't know, I don't make the rules, so either follow the rules or hit the road.

Comment

Welcome to the best job in the world that you will be bitching and moaning about for the next 20 to 30 years.

Don't want to go through the Academy again?

Want some "advice cheese" to go with that "whine?"

Resign. I guarantee there is a long line of firefighter candidates that would be willing to take your place in a heartbeat!

Generation "whine" at it's best...
                  Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-17-2007, 10:08 AM.
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Man o Man
                    Rookies never change. I did Probie school twice due to an injury, i had to start from the very first day. Gues what I am still alive and well and I dont regret it at all. I walked out first in my class, and ten years on I can still remember the work

So stop complaining and be greatfull you get a second time around, because on my second group a guy was injured and never recovered he is depended on his wife these days and cant work at all. Although he visits us every day at the fire house, you can see the sorrow in his eyes.

So cheer up and take it head on

Comment

Originally posted by FranktheTank View Post
                      Man o Man
                      Rookies never change. I did Probie school twice due to an injury, i had to start from the very first day. Gues what I am still alive and well and I dont regret it at all. I walked out first in my class, and ten years on I can still remember the work

So stop complaining and be greatfull you get a second time around, because on my second group a guy was injured and never recovered he is depended on his wife these days and cant work at all. Although he visits us every day at the fire house, you can see the sorrow in his eyes.

So cheer up and take it head on
                      FranktheTank.. welcome to the forums!

Your post is proof that all around the world, it's the same circus.. the only things that change is the names of the clowns and the size of the show!
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Flashback!!

Originally posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
                        Welcome to the best job in the world that you will be bitching and moaning about for the next 20 to 30 years.

Don't want to go through the Academy again?

Want some "advice cheese" to go with that "whine?"

Resign. I guarantee there is a long line of firefighter candidates that would be willing to take your place in a heartbeat!

Generation "whine" at it's best...
                        DC Gonz, You just made me have a flashback of an old school, irish, crusty instructor from probie school. That was a favorite saying of his "Do you F-ing probies want a little cheese to go with that whine."LOL!! You couldn't be more correct. Some guys just don't realize what they have!!
                        Last edited by callaway75; 02-18-2007, 10:05 AM. Reason: miss type

Comment

You wrote:
                          "But to me this feels like I'm being puninshed for getting injured. Has anyone else ever had anything similar happen to them?"

Here's the deal. You released the halyard. YOU "thought" the dogs were locked. You got hurt because of YOUR (and your partner's) mistake.

Let me make it simple. The department is in NO WAY OBLIGATED to give you another opportunity. You should count your blessings.

For the record, if this was the last class off of the current eligibility list, the department couldn't recycle you even if they wanted to.

You should count your blessings you are being given a second chance. If the department senses anything other than sheer gratitude you will find yourself looking for another job.

Paul Lepore
                          Battalion Chief
                          www.aspiringfirefighters.com
                          Paul Lepore
                          Battalion Chief
                          www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

This is classic new school rookies. No body understands them. Woo is them. The world is out to get them.
                            Co 11
                            Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Just as what BCLepore stated, You released the halyard.. why would you ever let go of a halyard on a fly you are raising unless you have verified the ladder is locked? you can still control a ladder while still maintaining control of the halyard. you are lucky that they are allowing you another chance. think of this as a way to get extra time to study or see things again.

hopefully no one gets injured next time.

-Damien

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X