Flashover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashover

New to firefighting and this website. I signed up for a flashover class and its 3 days this week. I went the 1st day which was all classroom work, but I got REALLY sick before the 2nd class. Trouble breathing, fever, runny nose all day, up all night and everything. Obviously I didnt go because it was going to be a physical day. Tonight is the 3rd and final class and im feeling a little bit better, enough that I can probly stick it out. My question is, should I go? I don't want my dudes at work to think I was coppin' out and just said F*ck it. I also don't want to show up looking like a fool...

If you're sick, you're sick. What are you gonna do? These things are out of your control. Stay home and sign up for the next available class. If you are woosing out, they will know. If you are truely sick, they will know that too.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

I agree with Keith, you should probably just sign up for the next one, and the instructors would probably tell you the same. Flashover survival is not that physical, you pretty much sit there, or kneel and rotate around the simulator watching the fire grow and start to rollover and then give it a shot with the can or hoseline to darken it down, and do it over again. It's not like you're in there whipping around a 2 and a half, but it does get a little hot and by the end you're breathing hot air, which in your case probably wouldn't be the ideal time for learning. Great class, and you should take the next one to get all you can out of it.

Comment

While I've attended a FF Survival and Escape class with an injured shoulder,I wouldn't recommend the practice of training while sick.
        Though you might gain experience in working through pain and such,you still have to swap face masks with someone else unless they are assigned for the day and you'll be the one cleaning it afterwards.
        I agree with the others:get over whatever's giving you the sniffles and take the next class.

Comment

Thanks, Ill rest at home for tonight.

Comment

I agree too, getting dehydrated (even though being in the simulator isn't that physical, you will get hot/sweat out your fluids) is very bad for getting better. Stay home, rest up, go to the next one, and you will be able to focus and learn a lot more.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X