Anybody ever haerd of/witnessed this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever haerd of/witnessed this?

Myself and a few other members of the volunteer department where I am a probie were discussing the test that we had taken that day for a medium-sized career department in our area which consisted of two shifts. Well, it was brought up that some guy at the early test showed up in a brand new turnout coat. Has anybody ever been to a test and seen anything like this? Or do you think that any of the number of the chiefs may have possibly made some note of this on the test? Anyway, I just thought that was a funny story to share and I would see what you guys all thought about it.

If i were the chief and saw a guy show up, most likely trying to be impressive. I would take it as he was a noob, had the money to buy the coat, and did to try and impress. Id rather see someone with a coat as dirty as it gets. That person is prolly alot more passionate about the job, and has more experience then the guy with the money to buy new gear just so he can dress to impress.

Comment

I guess I need more info.

Dosent your volunteer department issue bunker gear to each firefigher, even if just training.

the image that poped into my head first was a guy coming to a WRITTEN test wearing a turnout coat, and if thats the case then it sounds a little strange to me. In my head I would be thinking WHACKER, and does he wear it while going to the grocery store?

If it was a training burn test, then I wouldnt have no problem with it as long as the gear was approved by the cheif ahead of time, to allow him to inspect for approval by insurance. If I had the money I would buy my own gear just for the fact that the current gear I have is uncomfortable and stiff at times. Hopefully as each fire and each washing (one thing I think is most important for gear) it will loosen up a little.

Comment

Umm. Did you think maybe the coat was new because that is what he was given? For all you know, he has been a firefighter for 10 years and just got a new coat because his old one was damaged? Not everyone with a new piece of gear is a newbie. And even if they are, who cares?
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Wishooter,
          You need to clarify that days events:
          What test? Written for a job in that dept?
          Did anyone else have gear on? And why?
          Was this an agility?
          Was it a practical exam?

All we as readers know is that you went to a test and some guy had a new turn out coat on. Not enough info! Paint us a picture.
          IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Comment

Like some of the previous posts, some more info is needed, but if this was a written test, the No...I never heard of it.

No....I doubt any chiefs or test administrators made a note of it on the test. Possibly a mental note like "what a tool" or something, but they can't make a physical note on the test. That would be unfair and subject to lawsuits either by that person or someone else. You can't mark a candidates test because they stood out in the crowd.

I'll agree with the post who asked "does he wear his coat to the store?"
            The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Sorry for not clarifying...yes, this was a written test, nothing more.

Comment

I'm surprised he wasn't laughed out of the room. He sounds like the king of all whackers..
                Last edited by callaway75; 02-07-2007, 07:36 PM. Reason: miss type

Comment

what wrong with clean coat

I've been in the service for five years, and now again a proby for i moved to a dumb state and have to requalify for my classes. anyways, i keep my gear clean almost brand new clean, so i look good, and its safer, they have proven that dirty gear kills, so it may be funny, buy i know who ill trust.

Comment

And I'll agree 100% that keeping your gear free of soot is a great measure of prevention. I think what we are all in shock about is the fact that HE WORE IT TO A WRITTEN TEST, not the fact it was, or looked brand new. I just cant see any reason why someone would do this, but then again he probably had two hoods on, so it was ok. (inside joke for some)

Comment

Maybe is was very cold there and he wanted to stay warm??

Makes no difference what an applicant wears as long as they are dressed.

I get a new coat and trousers when mine are worn and can't be reparied. Even wearing a new coat after 20 years I get questions, but I come back with I needed a new coat, so be it.

Comment

So what if he did?I wasn't there so I can't ask the guy why he wore a coat to a written test.
                        Must be nice to never do anything that others find hilarious or fault with.Tell me how you do that because I still make mistakes that my friends find amusing.

Comment

I definatly found it amusing, thats for sure.

Comment

Don't worry at every career test, there will be some yahoo there with some type of whacker gear thinking the personnel department will see it and give them a leg up. It don't work, even for a smaller department like St. Paul gets 2000 testers, and they don't care if you showed up on foot or horseback. As long as you are on time and have what they require.
                            Though the turnout coat is just asinine.
                            So what if he did?
                            Doug, in St. Paul, the city still owns the gear and the SOP's a pretty explicit on how and when it should be worn. If you own your turnouts, I'm sure it's ok to wear them out and about the town. Just don't expect me not to laugh at you.
                            My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                            "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                            George Mason
                            Co-author of the Second Amendment
                            during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                            Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

I did the same thing

I showed up at my test with brand new gear. As I went through my class I was borrowing someone else's gear because my department had ordered me my stuff but it hadn't arrived. And as luck had it, my new gear arrived about 4 days before my test date. So I have to say that I did the same thing. At least my helmut had already gotten dirty.
                              Last edited by XRaysJL; 02-08-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X