Newly hired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly hired

Hello all, I have just been hired as a firefighter/paramedic in central Florida. I haven't actually been to the house yet, I get my gear fitted on Thursday. I have read a couple of the "what a rookie is supposed to do" articles on Firehouse and just wanted a few more pointers from the experienced. So any good tips for the new guy? Thanks for any input

Congrats! I actually just started on the job in RI this past Monday. So far, the best advice I can give you is to just keep your mouth shut and take everything in. I've had a lot of previous training, but when one of the guys is explaining how to do something, or how a certain system is set up, I just close my mouth and listen; just because it's something I may have been taught before, they might do it a little differently or I may be able to pick up on something I didn't before. That, I think, is the number 1 rule during probation.

Also, don't hang back in the corner. If you're getting thrown right into station life (as I have been) and not going through a formal academy, pick up a broom or a mop and clean the house with everyone else. Just because "it's your first day" doesn't exempt you from helping out--this is your home-away-from-home now, and you will be expected to take as much responsibility for it as the next guy.

Just keep your head about you and remember to keep a sense of humor. There will be plenty of ball-busting mixed in with the learning process, so just remember that it's all in good fun. If you don't take things personally and go home every day with new or improved knowledge you should end up just fine.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by emtJon View Post
      Congrats! I actually just started on the job in RI this past Monday. So far, the best advice I can give you is to just keep your mouth shut and take everything in. I've had a lot of previous training, but when one of the guys is explaining how to do something, or how a certain system is set up, I just close my mouth and listen; just because it's something I may have been taught before, they might do it a little differently or I may be able to pick up on something I didn't before. That, I think, is the number 1 rule during probation.

Also, don't hang back in the corner. If you're getting thrown right into station life (as I have been) and not going through a formal academy, pick up a broom or a mop and clean the house with everyone else. Just because "it's your first day" doesn't exempt you from helping out--this is your home-away-from-home now, and you will be expected to take as much responsibility for it as the next guy.

Just keep your head about you and remember to keep a sense of humor. There will be plenty of ball-busting mixed in with the learning process, so just remember that it's all in good fun. If you don't take things personally and go home every day with new or improved knowledge you should end up just fine.

Good luck!
      Excellent advice!

Good luck! You're just beginning the best career in the entire world! Listen, learn, work hard and stay safe!

BTW, where in Fla., exactly?

Kevin
      Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
      IAFF Local 2339
      K of C 4th Degree
      "LEATHER FOREVER"
      Member I.A.C.O.J.
      http://www.tfdfire.com/
      "Fir na tine"

Comment

Hey Jon, whered you get on CF????

Comment

Congrats on the hire......bring donuts in for the first day at the station.
          The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Top 10 list, in no particular order.

-Introduce yourself to all crew members with a bone crushing hand shake, and do not forget their names.
            - Normally you'd begin the shift by making coffee, and thoroughly going over your rig, however your first day will probably begin with a short meeting with your officer, outlying his/her expectations of you.
            -Jump right into the chores,and if you need to ask any questions.ask another junior member. Hopefully someone will take you under their wing, but don't count on it. Keep the living quarters & bathrooms immaculately clean through out the shift.Move at double pace at all times, and don't spend all day on any particular chore.( windows,shower stalls etc.)
            -Learn the truck inside out. Arrive at work early and get a head start on your truck check. Practice donning your scba in full turn out gear,every day.
            -Help prepare meals only if asked, otherwise its housework for you all day. You may get a reprieve to read your manual for an hour. Same goes for night shift, and for gods sake, do not even think of watching one second of t.v. ,while on probation.
            -Be expected to give speeches to the crew on any number of topics. Thoroughly do your homework or you will risk, crew members doubting your capabilities.
            -Am I at ten yet? Volunteer for everything on the notice board. There's always charity events happening and the rookies are expected to participate.
            -Never ever,represent the dept. in an unfavorable light, whether on duty or equally as important, off duty.
            -One last no brainer. Last one seated at the dinner table,and of course first one up to start the dishes.
            For the next year you're going to be the highest paid janitor in florida. Finally, congrats bro, you just won the lottery.good luck in your new career. Polecat.

Comment

More advice

One thing about asking questions as a EMT:
              Be mindful when you ask the questions. Wait until you are away from the victim and his/her family. Some questions you may have may be important to you but they may be seen as "Something else" to the victim or the family at a given time. Wait until you are heading back to say, "Why did you do that?". The answere that may come may be best for "Confidential conversation".

There is very sound advice already posted.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice

Thank you all very much, this is what I was looking for. 4949 I just got hired at Sanford Fire Dept. about 20 minutes northeast of Orlando. I will take all of your advice with me.

Comment

Originally posted by FirefighterRI View Post
                  Hey Jon, whered you get on CF????
                  I got hired in Middletown, started on 1/29.

Comment

Congratulations on getting hired.

At our dept, probies have to always make sure there is coffee made, report to the captain for cleaning duties, etc.

Make sure you introduce yourself to the firefighters on the dept that you do not know. They will appreciate this.

There are usually several "unspoken rules" that each dept has for probies (i.e. making the coffee). Find someone on the dept that you are friends with and ask them.

------------------------

Brady Lewis
                    President
                    Spanish 4 Emergencies.com
                    Spanish Language Training for Fire, EMS and Dispatchers
                    Get Local Online Coupons

Comment

ian....congrats on getting hired in sanford....no doubt, having a guy like mr andy thompson on your side could be a good thing?

supposedly one of the guys that got hired in sanford failed his physical, the hearing portion....maybe they will be hiring one more who knows...i interviewed with them, but didnt get hired...andy thompson and sean harvey were pulling for me, but they wanted the medics....also, im in medic school and i guess sanford got the vibe that i wanted to concentrate more on that i guess....hmm...sanford was/is one of my top pics so im sure ill be applying again when they reopen there application....good luck dude

chris

Comment

Sanford FD should be hiring again in June or July for two I believe. We got all of our gear today. Monday is the start day, damn I can't wait to get in there and do the job. Hey Pyro, did i go through standards with you?

Comment

Originally posted by polecat View Post
                          -Introduce yourself to all crew members with a bone crushing hand shake, and do not forget their names.
                          - Normally you'd begin the shift by making coffee, and thoroughly going over your rig, however your first day will probably begin with a short meeting with your officer, outlying his/her expectations of you.
                          -Jump right into the chores,and if you need to ask any questions.ask another junior member. Hopefully someone will take you under their wing, but don't count on it. Keep the living quarters & bathrooms immaculately clean through out the shift.Move at double pace at all times, and don't spend all day on any particular chore.( windows,shower stalls etc.)
                          -Learn the truck inside out. Arrive at work early and get a head start on your truck check. Practice donning your scba in full turn out gear,every day.
                          -Help prepare meals only if asked, otherwise its housework for you all day. You may get a reprieve to read your manual for an hour. Same goes for night shift, and for gods sake, do not even think of watching one second of t.v. ,while on probation.
                          -Be expected to give speeches to the crew on any number of topics. Thoroughly do your homework or you will risk, crew members doubting your capabilities.
                          -Am I at ten yet? Volunteer for everything on the notice board. There's always charity events happening and the rookies are expected to participate.
                          -Never ever,represent the dept. in an unfavorable light, whether on duty or equally as important, off duty.
                          -One last no brainer. Last one seated at the dinner table,and of course first one up to start the dishes.
                          For the next year you're going to be the highest paid janitor in florida. Finally, congrats bro, you just won the lottery.good luck in your new career. Polecat.
                          Perfectly Written.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X