Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a new guy learn from a video?? LOTS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can a new guy learn from a video?? LOTS!!

I've been watching videos from The Bravest Online, mainly to pass the time at work, but I then noticed a very important similarity in most of the videos.

The majority are of the Houston FD, and the guys are definitely pros and see a lot of action. I started watching closer to see their tactics, but due to safe camera positioning, interior shots are rare. So I started watching the exterior work, and it jumped out at me.........

I never see the engine rolling on to the scene at excessive speeds, nobody jumps off the truck and starts running around like they do in the movies, and there is no John Wayne Superhero with a riding crop yelling orders and slinging spit while cussing at the world for being so dumb.......

The firefighters get off the engine in a rapid but safe manner, grab their hose or tools, and you can tell they know EXACTLY what their expectations and responsibilities are. They then WALK with the hose or tools to the scene, sometimes do a quick size-up between the hose team members, and then disappear into a swirling mass of fire and smoke. Out of the corners you see bunkered and unbunkered people helping to move hose lines, pull slack, move obstacles, etc.....without having to be told. It is instinctual and deep seated in the back of the brain as "this is what I have to do".

True professionalism.

I mention this because, as a volunteer on a small dept with infrequent calls, I tend to get excited and have to slow myself down at times. The knowledge of what to do and how to do it is there, but the experience and confidence is a long way off. The HFD definitely have that main difference.

I guess my point is this for any new people watching videos or looking at photos.....

Sometimes it is not the obvious you should be looking for, but the more subtle, and extremely important, things.

What always irked me in the Navy was this one petty officer who thought he should motivate me at every turn.If I was starting a P-250 firefighting pump that hadn't been started since the last PMS check,he'd act like I was the sole reason it wasn't throwing water all-effing-ready
    Fortunately for my sanity,I do not hear his voice ringing in my ears when under stress,but some other folks that I respect far more.
    I sometimes also get excited due to my relative inexperience and remembering the above military motivations,but my favorite officer was always quick to let me know it.I hope I've calmed down enough about it to make other mistakes that I haven't yet made.
    What you are seeing are people who have learned that they know what they are doing and don't have to scurry around to prove it.I am sure if there was a reason to be jumping around,they'd do that as professionally as they could.

Comment

Yep -- I had a dumbazz first sergeant like that once. It usually involves lack of confidence or actual stupidity.
      I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Comment

Doughessen....I was Navy too DC2 on an FFG and CVN. I remember the good old P-250 na it was soooooooo much nicer when they switched to P-100's. When were you in and where at?

As for the videos...If there is a problem on the dept with running...chaos etc. I would suggest you use the video as a training tool and point that out to all members. I was a volly once before too and didn't run many calls and adreneline was pumping....but I would still go through my mind what to do...It also helps to post ride assignments where you can read them from the seats. IE the FF behind the driver...grab this, this for an alarm sounding....get this or this for smoke/fire showing. That can help with all the confusion.
        The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
          Doughesson....I was Navy too DC2 on an FFG and CVN. I remember the good old P-250 na it was soooooooo much nicer when they switched to P-100's. When were you in and where at?
          USS Mahan DDG 42 out of Charleston from 85 to 88.We'd moved to Norfolk for an overhaul in 86 to 87.I called myself a bosun snipe because I never did change my stripes after moving up to 1st from B Division. I took the tests but they came back right after the budget cut early outs were announced in 1988.I got out before the switch to the PE 250s was made and have never even looked at a P-100.Does it throw 100 gpm like I think?
          Last edited by doughesson; 02-03-2007, 03:37 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X