No announcement yet.

firefighter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you are a fairly young person, so you might not have learned this yet.....

There are 2 things which will mean the most to you in life:

1. The things, or people, you can't get back

2. The things which were obtained or accomplished through great personal trial and effort

Both will be remembered when all else is forgotten, and the second will likely be the most remembered about you.

If you want it, you have to take it. Things which are handed to you easily are also easily dropped. I speak from personal experience. Don't be afraid to fail, be courageous enough to be persistent, and be foolish enough to never give up.

Comment

Originally posted by firenewbie View Post
      yeah i want to be one I guess I'm just nervous. I hate going to school though

I was going to EMT school three nights a week while going through the fire academy...with homework from both every night of the week.

Kwitchyerbitchin, knuckle down and do it!
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

I'm close to passing its just I usually fail by a question or two
        In the Navy,I took an A school course to become a Boiler Technician and ended up scraping through by three points because I didn't study.I was literally the variation of the punch line"What do you call the guy that graduates last from BT/MM A school?" BT3(boiler technician 3rd class).Unfortunately,I didn't practice much as one and transferred to 1st Division and learned how to be a bosun instead.
        Not saying you don't but like others said,getting EMT licensed takes constant study.It also sounds to me like the class is covering too much territory for the material to really sink in.
        Just keep plugging away and don't be afraid to ask for a clearer explanation from the instructors.They're supposed to teach you the basics of being an EMT,not just getting massive quatities of students out the door to pass or fail on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
          Just keep plugging away and don't be afraid to ask for a clearer explanation from the instructors.They're supposed to teach you the basics of being an EMT,not just getting massive quatities of students out the door to pass or fail on their own.
          We are being taught by a working paramedic, who is actuall a member of our dept as well, and she is a state certified instructor.....what she told us was that when students fail to pass the national registry, it reflects on her. If her percentages of failing students gets too high, they will actualy revoke her certification as an instructor.

I'm not sure if it is only Louisiana that does this, or if it just because she is an individual instructor not associated with a school or paid company, but it makes sense. That is why we are going to go very slowly, and really hammer the practicals.

Comment

Emt school was never designed to be a piece of cake. But as soon as you see that passing grade at the bottom of the NR grade sheet you really feel like you accomplished something. I attend regular training with our dept and work on the weekends and im taking 17 hours this semester in college. So dont complain about school, just knuckle down and get it done.
            FireFighter/EMT
            Rescue 1

IACOJ
            FTM-PTB

Comment

Are You Serious

I might just try to be a cop. theres no medical involved
              Sure there is, most of the time at car accidents the police are the very first responder on scene. Your going to look pretty bad if your just walking around with your thumb up your *** instead of helping the injured.

Also what if the police academy gets too tough? Are you just going to quit that and go into accounting or soemthing?

A quitter is not the way you want to be labeled and I would imagine you wouldn't like living that way, at least I know I wouldn't.

But the choice is yours, help is out there and you made the first step by realizing that and asking. Now it is just time for you to follow through.

DONT' GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You will not pass EMT school, and can forget about National Registry if you don't plan on applying yourself and studying your A## off. EMT school is not that hard if you put forth the effort, and take it seriously, which you should be doing anyway because you will be the one people are getting when they call for help. If becoming a FF/ EMT were easy, everyone would do it, and then the job just wouldn't be quite as special. Keep your nose in the books, and you'll be fine.

P.S -- I have 8 cops in my family, and passing the Police Academy is a wee bit harder than EMT school, so forget that idea.

Comment

You don't know lost until during quick dress, everyone in my class had their gear on in 1 minute, and I was still trying to re-clip my suspenders that came loose. You don't know lost until there's six fellow classmates and three Firefighters trying to explain to me how to put my regulator on my facepiece and locking it in. Bottom line don't give up. I know the overwhelmed, these people are more experienced than me feeling. Basically stop thinking so much into it, thats what I've learned. At first I thought my EMT-I was overwhelming but its starting to come together now. However... the endotracheal intubation... I'm still working on that
                  Last edited by ACfire1; 01-27-2007, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by callaway75 View Post
                    P.S -- I have 8 cops in my family, and passing the Police Academy is a wee bit harder than EMT school, so forget that idea.
                    True enough. I went to the Police Academy a couple years before EMT school, and of the two, the Police Academy was not only longer, but more physically and mentally demanding. EMT school didn't involve PT, for one. *LOL*

-If you can't memorize the basics of A&P, you won't be able to memorize penal and vehicle code sections and the particulars of each.
                    -If you can't apply knowledge of emergency care to properly assess and treat, you won't be able to apply knowledge of law to know whether the search you're about to do, or arrest you're about to make is legal.
                    -If you can't perform physical skills such as airway management, bleeding control, etc, as an EMT, you probably won't be able to perform physical skills such as handcuffing, searching, or building clearance.
                    -If you can't move a 200 lb guy in the EMS world, you have a partner to help, and if nothing else, get the Fire guys to come help out too. If you can't move a 200 lb guy in the LE world, expect a beating at the least, and your nearest "help" may be 5-10 minutes or more away...assuming you can get a call for help out on the air while you're getting your *** hammered.
                    -If you screw up a skill in the EMS world, your patient may die. Do it in the LE world, and you (or your partner) may die.

Yep, the Police Academy would so much easier...
                    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

Originally posted by the1141man View Post
                      -If you can't move a 200 lb guy in the EMS world, you have a partner to help, and if nothing else, get the Fire guys to come help out too. If you can't move a 200 lb guy in the LE world, expect a beating at the least, and your nearest "help" may be 5-10 minutes or more away...assuming you can get a call for help out on the air while you're getting your *** hammered.
                      -If you screw up a skill in the EMS world, your patient may die. Do it in the LE world, and you (or your partner) may die.

Yep, the Police Academy would so much easier...

Yeah....but cops get to carry guns....COOOOLL!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post
                        Yeah....but cops get to carry guns....COOOOLL!!!!!!!

Corollary to this: at every call, there is at least one firearm (and several other possibly-lethal weapons) present.
                        My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X