firefighter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firefighter questions

I'm in emt school now and its not going so well. I feel like everyone else has experience in the field and I don't. I may have to take the course again just because I don't understand some of it. When your a firefighter do you use your emt skills all the time? I really want to be a firefighter I'm just not great and confident in my emt skills. Should I still try to pursue this as a career?

With some very rare exceptions, nowadays I'd say you'd be using your EMT skills way more often than your firefighting skills. Just the nature of things today, i.e. most fire departments are running more medical calls than fire calls. So yes, having decent EMT skills will be a necessity in just about any department you get on with.

Exactly what is it about the EMT class that you are having trouble with?
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Hang in there

You will use your EMT skills far more than firefighter, unless you get with a dept that strictly runs fire which I don't think even exists anymore. Either way it really pays to have EMT skills. What if your at a structure fire and another firefighter gets hurt? Firefighting is awesome, but with all of the fire codes and fire prevention tactics fire suppresion is not as prevailant as it used to be. For example my dept runs 1300 calls a year, of that only about 100-200 are fire with the rest being ems, car accidents etc... What are you having trouble with? When started EMT school I was only 16 and I graduated at 17. I had absolutely no experience at all. Stick with it, it really pays to have the knowledge of an EMT especially if your going into the fire service at any level. If you need some help feel free to pm me or email meat [email protected]. Good luck, just hang in there and you will suceed.

Comment

There are still a few departments that do fire only, but I wonder what it is like for them when they see an EMS need and can't do anything about it.

One thing you have going for is that you recognize that you're struggling and you are looking for help. Don't give up, because you're likely to run into lots of stuff in the service that you don't grasp the first time. Stick with it, you don't want to get a reputation for giving up, and persevering a few times will boost your confidence a lot.

As part of EMT training, many programs require a certain number of hours working in a hospital ER. I've not yet run into an ER that couldn't find a way to put you to work as a an official volunteer in some capacity, especially if they know you from your EMT hours. This would be a good way to expose yourself in a practical way to the kind of stuff you might see on the EMS side, and will help you become more familiar and comfortable with it.

If you are comforatble with your instructor, let them know how you're feeling, and ask them if ER time is an option.

Keep your head up, you can do it.
        You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
        IACOJ Power Company Liason
        When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
        and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

I feel your pain

I know what your feeling. I was in the same position as you in my firefighter class. You are going to have to study and work twice as hard as your fellow students who've already had experience in that area to fall back on to comprehend what is being instructed.

Get with a study group. If there is none......form one. Study groups are great. Other students may re-word something that will help you to understand.

Practice. Practice on volunteers (If you can). See if you can borrow a dummy.

Both of these will help greatly.

Comment

Spending some time in the ER as mentioned above is a good choice, but you might also check with the local ambulance service and see if they allow "ride-alongs". This is another great way to see things first hand, just be sure to hold all your questions until AFTER the patient is stable and the Medic/EMT has time to breathe.

Comment

we have ride along but you have to pass all the test before you can go on one.

We're going through about 8 or 9 chapters aday. I'm close to passing its just I usually fail by a question or two

Comment

I might just try to be a cop. theres no medical involved

Comment

so if our department has paramedics in the ambulance at all times do you do alot of the life saving work as an emt?

Comment

Originally posted by firenewbie View Post
                    Well good luck with that should I ever see you I will tell you two more points and you could have been a firefighter

If you are going through 8-9 chapters in a day how long is this class that seems like to many to fit into one class.

Comment

so if our department has paramedics in the ambulance at all times do you do alot of the life saving work as an emt?
                      Yes. Paramedics only have two hands, and there's often a lot more work than two hands can keep up with. Then there are the MCI's where the patients outnumber the paramedics. There is always a place for an EMT with paramedics. It's like asking if a Chief needs firefighters. Yes.
                      When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
                      and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Comment

Second warning. Don't establish yourself as a quitter if you have not really given it a chance. That can follow you forever.

Think it over carefully for a long time before you make a change.

Comment

I know it's tough man, but stick with it. I'm an EMT student right now as well. I'm not the best with some of the material. Last year in high school, I got a D in anatomy. However, we just took our first section test in class last night.(We split the book into 5 sections with a written and practical for each. We need an average of 78% to move onto the national registry exam.) I did great. I got an 86%. It feels great when you know that all of that hard work and pushing yourself paid off. Firefighter 1 was the same way. I couldn't get over the fact that I became state certified last semester. My main point is that you have to push yourself. Study more than usual. Because in the end when you are holding that certification in your hand, it'll all pay off and you'll really be proud of yourself.

Comment

Wrong attitude, newbie. Do you really want to be a firefighter? You need to decide before you invest a bunch of time.

Remember, what do firefighters and cops have in common? They both want to be firefighters....
                            Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
                            Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
                            Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
                            — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Comment

Originally posted by dmleblanc View Post
                              Wrong attitude, newbie. Do you really want to be a firefighter? You need to decide before you invest a bunch of time.

Remember, what do firefighters and cops have in common? They both want to be firefighters....
                              yeah i want to be one I guess I'm just nervous. I hate going to school though

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X