Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Used Turnout Gear or Inexpensive Gear

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Used Turnout Gear or Inexpensive Gear

    I soon might be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!

  • #2
    Originally posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    I soon might be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!
    Ebay! There's always some used gear for sale.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by MMedrow21 View Post
      I soon might be starting on a volunteer dept. and i do not have my own gear. I am wondering where i might be able to get used or inexpensive turn out gear? Would appreciate the help!!

      Does the department your trying to get on not supply you gear?

      Comment


      • #4
        i have been looking on ebay, my gf's father is a full time fire fighter he is going to see what he might be able to do. The chief asked if i had my own gear, and i said no and he asked if i knew anyone that i might be able to get some from, so i figured that i would have to supply my own gear. I will be going in either tom or tuesday and will be talking to him more indepth about it. keep the ideas coming thanks guys.

        P.S sorry for the triple thread posts.

        Comment


        • #5
          How about telling them to buy it. Do you have have to purchase your own hose too?

          Comment


          • #6
            no all the hoses are supplied. The department is a paid on call department. They will send me through the fire fighter 1 classes. They havent really given me the actual job, and i dont want to be like well buy my **** for me, and then them not get the job.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MMedrow21 View Post
              no all the hoses are supplied. The department is a paid on call department. They will send me through the fire fighter 1 classes. They havent really given me the actual job, and i dont want to be like well buy my **** for me, and then them not get the job.
              It's pretty much their job to make sure you have gear for you and gear that fits you. I don't know if I've ever heard of a fd not supplying gear. Good luck to you and I dont think they'll think what ever of you,they should be happy for getting another member. Let us know how your meeting goes.Take care.

              Comment


              • #8
                ya i hear ya, i mean they should be happy that i want to volunteer my time to help them, even though this is what i want to do help the community. I will let you guys know how it goes.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MMedrow21 View Post
                  ya i hear ya, i mean they should be happy that i want to volunteer my time to help them, even though this is what i want to do help the community. I will let you guys know how it goes.
                  so then it is a volunteer department? they aren't offering you a job I would think its a liability issue to supply your own gear. Where is this department bet you won't walk in with the 3/4's and long coat

                  how ever are you going to balance being the 5-0 and a firefighter conflict of interest if you ask me just kidding.
                  Last edited by Firefighter2230; 01-15-2007, 01:17 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well yes it is a volunteer department. Could you specify what you mean by it being a liability issue for you to supply your own gear? Also what is Where is this department bet you won't walk in with the 3/4's and long coat ?

                    Also me balancing being a 5-0 and a firefighter will be hard, however the job that i have i am only a police aide so i am not a sworn officer, and i am part time. However, with the fire department telling me that they are short people and busy all the time that might make for me getting out of law enforcement for good. Then wait and get all my certs and go for a full time job.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MMedrow21 View Post
                      Well yes it is a volunteer department. Could you specify what you mean by it being a liability issue for you to supply your own gear? Also what is Where is this department bet you won't walk in with the 3/4's and long coat ?

                      Also me balancing being a 5-0 and a firefighter will be hard, however the job that i have i am only a police aide so i am not a sworn officer, and i am part time. However, with the fire department telling me that they are short people and busy all the time that might make for me getting out of law enforcement for good. Then wait and get all my certs and go for a full time job.
                      On the gear I would think it is a liability to have someone bring their gear from outside it might not quite be up to standards. And see the countless threads on the 3/4 boot issue

                      As far as the other I was just picking with you in some places cops hate firefighters. The people who couldn't cut it as firefighters had to do something right once again just kidding.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
                        On the gear I would think it is a liability to have someone bring their gear from outside it might not quite be up to standards. And see the countless threads on the 3/4 boot issue

                        As far as the other I was just picking with you in some places cops hate firefighters. The people who couldn't cut it as firefighters had to do something right once again just kidding.

                        I would ask the chief directly if the dept supplied gear, or if you had to get your own. As long as the gear meets NFPA 1971 requirements, it should not be a liability. I use my own in the vollie dept I am with. The chief should be able to determine that by looking at the label and the condition.

                        Be careful of used gear unless you know how it was stored and the conditions it was used in. Make sure it didn't ride around uncovered in the back of somebodies truck. Some of this gear can be exposed to serious hazardous chemicals, or rough use. Also, bunker gear can fit a little differently than regular clothes. Get with your GF father to see how it should fit. It should protect and cover you in any body position.

                        Long coats and 3/4 boots were the old bunker gear....you only see it in pictures now....at least I think that is the only place you see it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Why you started so many threads on this?? One is all you need to do.


                          Buy your own gear?

                          WHY? Is the department that under funded?

                          I wouldn't think of it. If they wanted me to join and be part of them, They will supply my gear to me. Period!
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

                          Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            like i said before in the thread im sorry i started so many my computer was acting all funny. I just got back from talking to their chief, and they would like to hire me however i do not have my firefighter 1 certification, but he said he would keep my application and let me know when the area academy is starting classes. They will send me through it which is nice. He also said that they just ordered gear in November and will be getting their new stuff soon. So he will keep in touch with me and will try and get me some gear.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MMedrow21 View Post
                              like i said before in the thread im sorry i started so many my computer was acting all funny. I just got back from talking to their chief, and they would like to hire me however i do not have my firefighter 1 certification, but he said he would keep my application and let me know when the area academy is starting classes. They will send me through it which is nice. He also said that they just ordered gear in November and will be getting their new stuff soon. So he will keep in touch with me and will try and get me some gear.
                              Thats great gives you something to look forward to I hope that it all works out for you.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X